Two Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Questions

First, what is the best way for a parent to check progress each week? I used to know how to do this on the old website, but since the upgrade/switch, I can no longer figure out an easy way to do this. (The how-to video on the MPOA website no longer works and is out of date.).

Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing on a typical "grades" page for an example class. This seems to say that the current grade is 13.10% which is incorrect. So what I am currently having to do is find today's date on the main class assignment page, and start working backwards clicking on assignment to make sure it has been handed in. However, if you have multiple children in multiple classes--this takes forever! Surely there is an easier way that I am missing. Once I can figure this out it would be really helpful.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.26.02 AM.png
Views:	231
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	125907

Secondly, what type of quality control is done for MPOA classes? Are teachers reviewed at the end of the year by parents/students? Are the classes reviewed for perceived homework load? (Ex. What if the course description says 30 minutes per day for homework, but most students are spending 2 hours.). For course content? For perceived level of difficulty? Is the only way they find out about quality issues when a parent actually calls and complains?

Thanks so much!!
    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
    2019-2020
    DS 12, 7th Grade
    DD 11, 6th Grade
    DS 5, K

Regarding the screenshot, I think the problem exists for classes whose teachers have "preloaded", so to speak, all of the quizzes and tests that will be graded throughout the year. The default seems to be that ungraded items are counted as part of the final grade, so that's why the course overall grade doesn't make much sense right now. I don't know if teachers can change that. Two of my kids' classes look like that, too, but a third one, in which the teacher inputs one assignment at the time in the Grades page (so that you only see the work that has been submitted and graded), the course total does make sense on any given day. I'm not sure I speak accurately when I say it all depends on the teacher, but I do see differences in my kids' classes, so that's what it looks like to me.

Now all this doesn't really answer your practical question, I just wanted to explain what you're seeing. I don't really have a method to check progress, the kids are always working more or less with me in the same room, so I know how things are going.
    DS (14)
    DD (13)
    DS (6)

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post
      First, what is the best way for a parent to check progress each week? I used to know how to do this on the old website, but since the upgrade/switch, I can no longer figure out an easy way to do this. (The how-to video on the MPOA website no longer works and is out of date.).

Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing on a typical "grades" page for an example class. This seems to say that the current grade is 13.10% which is incorrect. So what I am currently having to do is find today's date on the main class assignment page, and start working backwards clicking on assignment to make sure it has been handed in. However, if you have multiple children in multiple classes--this takes forever! Surely there is an easier way that I am missing. Once I can figure this out it would be really helpful.

Thanks so much!!
      Cathy,

In my daughter's Biology class --- I can see a course total, even though there are lots of tests/quizzes/projects that are preloaded.
      In the Algebra class, I have to scroll ALL the way to the bottom, which gives me a total.

I love the idea of a end of year instructor assessment, sort of like an exit interview.
      Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
      DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
      DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
      DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
      DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
      DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post

Cathy,

In my daughter's Biology class --- I can see a course total, even though there are lots of tests/quizzes/projects that are preloaded.
        In the Algebra class, I have to scroll ALL the way to the bottom, which gives me a total.
        Dianna, I can see a course total, too, but it's a number that takes into account "empty grades" (future assignments) and so it doesn't really reflect the picture of progress as of today. For instance, Logic I says the course total grade is 31%, when right now it's actually in the 90s if I count only the assignments relative to these first 8 weeks. Composition, instead, gives me an accurate picture every week.
        DS (14)
        DD (13)
        DS (6)

Comment

Hi folks, hopefully I can shed some light here.
          1. We are dealing with two different goals in the first question. One is to check grades, the other is to check progress. You can make sure your student has turned it what they need to by clicking on "Assignments" and "Quizzes" on the top right of the course home page:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2020-10-30 091406.png
Views:	164
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	125928

That will give you a list of assignments (mostly in writing and literature classes) and quizzes, when they are due, and whether they have been submitted. That is the easiest way to check to see if your student is up to date as manually graded assignments or quizzes will show as submitted there even if the teacher hasn't yet graded them.

For checking grades, you're in the right spot. There are two issues here. One is if the teacher has put all the assessments into the categories for the year and not moved them to "ungraded". I've been working with new teachers to help them with that; if your particular teacher has everything in the "graded" category, let me know and I can help them figure it out. The second issue is if there is a category that has no assignments in it. Moodle automatically counts that category as a zero and can pull the course total down significantly. At this point of the year we are very close to having assignments in practically every course, so this should not be an issue until the beginning of the next year.

2. We try to observe teachers in their live classes at least quarterly to help teachers improve constantly. That is part of our internal quality control. The office is also very involved in the development of new courses. I've been thinking of implementing end of term surveys (something we've never done before) to get parent/student feedback, so I hope to roll those out this spring.

Peace,
          Paul Schaeffer
          Paul Schaeffer
          --
          Academy Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post

Dianna, I can see a course total, too, but it's a number that takes into account "empty grades" (future assignments) and so it doesn't really reflect the picture of progress as of today. For instance, Logic I says the course total grade is 31%, when right now it's actually in the 90s if I count only the assignments relative to these first 8 weeks. Composition, instead, gives me an accurate picture every week.
            Oh gosh! That would make me utterly bananas. 😳 Bless your sweet heart!
            Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
            DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
            DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
            DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
            DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
            DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
              I've been thinking of implementing end of term surveys (something we've never done before) to get parent/student feedback, so I hope to roll those out this spring.

Peace,
              Paul Schaeffer
              Get students' feedback if you wish, but I'm not sure I'd encourage it. It takes maturity, experience, and at least some subject matter knowledge to be able to judge a teacher, and students seem to me poorly qualified I believe it was a huge mistake for colleges to grant student feedback such consequence, though I doubt you're planning to do the same. Of course there can be bad teachers, and problems can truly arise that must be dealt with. Still, I would hate for teachers to feel like they're losing part of their freedom by having to worry about students' opinions.
              DS (14)
              DD (13)
              DS (6)

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post

Get students' feedback if you wish, but I'm not sure I'd encourage it. It takes maturity, experience, and at least some subject matter knowledge to be able to judge a teacher, and students seem to me poorly qualified I believe it was a huge mistake for colleges to grant student feedback such consequence, though I doubt you're planning to do the same. Of course there can be bad teachers, and problems can truly arise that must be dealt with. Still, I would hate for teachers to feel like they're losing part of their freedom by having to worry about students' opinions.
                Of course. That's why I put "parent/student" feedback. As we are a school of homeschoolers, I expect the parents to be involved and be able to make rational statements about their children's experiences 😃
                Paul Schaeffer
                --
                Academy Director
                Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

I am a huge fan of MPOA and we have had fantastic teachers. Except one which was so bad it was a "never again" under any circumstances. (I think we have had 17 classes and just this one I would complain about). I kept telling ds we would give feedback at the end of the year (assuming an end of year survey). We never did give that feedback. I would welcome an end of class survey. I'm not a big complainer, or else I would have complained anyway, but I would have given thoughtful feedback if it was requested via survey.

Comment

Originally posted by teachermom View Post
                    I am a huge fan of MPOA and we have had fantastic teachers. Except one which was so bad it was a "never again" under any circumstances. (I think we have had 17 classes and just this one I would complain about). I kept telling ds we would give feedback at the end of the year (assuming an end of year survey). We never did give that feedback. I would welcome an end of class survey. I'm not a big complainer, or else I would have complained anyway, but I would have given thoughtful feedback if it was requested via survey.

We are having a similar experience! Hence the reason I started this thread. I feel like my child has the potential to learn a lot from a less than ideal situation, so I am trying to think of things in that way.
                    Cathy aka The Attached Mama
                    2019-2020
                    DS 12, 7th Grade
                    DD 11, 6th Grade
                    DS 5, K

Comment

Originally posted by TheAttachedMama View Post

We are having a similar experience! Hence the reason I started this thread. I feel like my child has the potential to learn a lot from a less than ideal situation, so I am trying to think of things in that way.
                      Definitely reach out to MPOA directly. It can be difficult to oversee so many teachers and classes at once so I'm sure they would appreciate hearing about what you are experiencing. It may even help change things in the class for the coming semester!
                      Jennifer
                      Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                      DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                      DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                      DS11: SC 4
                      DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                      DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                      DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Working...
                      X