Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MoodleTrouble?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    MoodleTrouble?

    Hi,

    I know we are not alone in having difficulty logging on today Can you share About what the trouble is? Thank you.

    Christina

    #2
    I called MPOA earlier and they said it’s a server issue. They’ve notified their web host. They said classes are hosted on a different server so they were able to email me a direct link for my son’s class.
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

    2022
    DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
    DS15: MP, MPOA
    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
    DD10: SC3
    DD7: MPK

    Comment


      #3
      It took us 50 minutes this morning of trying on two different computers with two different internet connections to finally get into our class. At each step after selecting Online Academy from the MP homepage there were unacceptable delays in loading. After finally reaching the student login (and during some tries being dropped at this point) and entering our info, we would either get a "502 Bad Gateway" message or an "unable to establish a connection to the server" message. I called MPOA and was told that the problem was on their end (which I knew due to the error messages) and that the technical director was working on it.
      Unfortunately, we also had problems with MPOA this past Tuesday morning. The site was running very slow. At first I thought the problem was on our end, but then the instructor commented he was also having problems. He had to lower his video quality and clear the chat twice in hopes of a remedy. The audio quality was also poor.
      This morning I was within minutes of calling MPOA to ask for a refund. The reason I did not was that, once we were signed into the class, the instructor, Mr. Hanson, was very impressive. I just checked the MPOA page to look for an assignment posting, and it says the academy website and student portal are down for maintenance. Hopefully it is for an upgrade. I'm honestly not sure I can stick with MPOA, if the technical issues are not resolved.

      Blessings,
      Jude
      DD24
      DS21
      DS18
      DS16
      DD14
      DS11
      DD9

      Comment


        #4
        We almost missed class today if I hadn't found this thread and @jen1134's post above. MPOA should send an email to every family with the direct link to every class they have a student enrolled in.
        DD15—MP7, MP8
        DS9—MP1, MP2

        Comment


          #5
          Hi everyone,

          I apologize for all the issues this morning. I feel terrible that it happened the first week of school when everyone was just trying to get used to our system. We are still recovering from trying to get the server up and making sure the live classes still happened. Sadly servers don't always give advance warnings for when you are going to be slammed by malicious visitors or a failed physical part.

          The Moodle site mpoa.memoriapress.com is up and running now faster than ever. We will be monitoring it closely.

          Unfortunately at the same time Adobe was having sporadic issues that they say were fixed 10 minutes ago: https://status.adobe.com/products/3011/?id=20200910024

          In the future, please do not hesitate to call us if you can't get in or are having technical troubles. 9 times out of 10 we can help resolve them so you don't miss a live class.

          Peace,
          Paul Schaeffer
          Paul Schaeffer
          --
          Academy Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy

          Comment


            #6
            I would encourage those of you new to MPOA to give it a chance to get better. We have been with them for years and taken over ten classes and we have never had persistent tech issues like this. We have used multiple online class providers and I would have said MPOA was the most reliable and organized of all. I realize it would be beyond frustrating if this was your first experience. I just want to encourage people that is was not typical.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by SaintJude7 View Post
              It took us 50 minutes this morning of trying on two different computers with two different internet connections to finally get into our class. At each step after selecting Online Academy from the MP homepage there were unacceptable delays in loading. After finally reaching the student login (and during some tries being dropped at this point) and entering our info, we would either get a "502 Bad Gateway" message or an "unable to establish a connection to the server" message. I called MPOA and was told that the problem was on their end (which I knew due to the error messages) and that the technical director was working on it.
              Unfortunately, we also had problems with MPOA this past Tuesday morning. The site was running very slow. At first I thought the problem was on our end, but then the instructor commented he was also having problems. He had to lower his video quality and clear the chat twice in hopes of a remedy. The audio quality was also poor.
              This morning I was within minutes of calling MPOA to ask for a refund. The reason I did not was that, once we were signed into the class, the instructor, Mr. Hanson, was very impressive. I just checked the MPOA page to look for an assignment posting, and it says the academy website and student portal are down for maintenance. Hopefully it is for an upgrade. I'm honestly not sure I can stick with MPOA, if the technical issues are not resolved.

              Blessings,
              Jude
              If it helps, this is our third year of MPOA and the first time we’ve ever had this kind of problem (something not due to our own internet connection).

              pschaeffer You’re probably already on this, but Is it possible to have a school-wide email go out in situations like this so everyone knows it’s a server issue and not our own devices or connections?
              Jennifer
              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

              2022
              DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
              DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
              DS15: MP, MPOA
              DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
              DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
              DD10: SC3
              DD7: MPK

              Comment


                #8
                We tend to have poor internet connection as well, and one of our laptops is old and cranky, so my instinct is always to think the problem is on our end. But I remembered that MPOA teachers are always encouraging students to call the Academy right away if they're having tech problems that look out of the ordinary (and not being able to log in was definitely out of the ordinary, especially since other websites were working fine, so our connection was not the problem.) A lady answered immediately, explained the problem, and told me to use the direct link to the class - she dictated it and I typed it in the web address bar, but the computer actually recognized it, it was the usual web address for the class. That's good to know in case a similar problem occurs.

                So yes, it was frustrating to have to scramble, but Mr. Schaeffer is right - an immediate phone call can really make a difference. I do agree with the suggestion that MPOA take a more proactive approach in case of situations like this morning.

                As a total aside, I can't wait for my kids to have a class taught by Mr. Hanson!
                DS (16)
                DD (15)
                DS (7)

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

                  If it helps, this is our third year of MPOA and the first time we’ve ever had this kind of problem (something not due to our own internet connection).

                  pschaeffer You’re probably already on this, but Is it possible to have a school-wide email go out in situations like this so everyone knows it’s a server issue and not our own devices or connections?
                  Yes, please. This would be helpful. Also instructions on any workarounds, even if it's "call us for a direct link" (although an automated email with the link would be better).
                  DD15—MP7, MP8
                  DS9—MP1, MP2

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

                    If it helps, this is our third year of MPOA and the first time we’ve ever had this kind of problem (something not due to our own internet connection).

                    pschaeffer You’re probably already on this, but Is it possible to have a school-wide email go out in situations like this so everyone knows it’s a server issue and not our own devices or connections?
                    Same here: this is our third year, and we've never seen something like that.
                    DS (16)
                    DD (15)
                    DS (7)

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

                      pschaeffer You’re probably already on this, but Is it possible to have a school-wide email go out in situations like this so everyone knows it’s a server issue and not our own devices or connections?
                      This is definitely on the list now! My problem this morning was I didn't have a list of students and parents outside of Moodle--you can bet I will!

                      Peace,
                      Paul Schaeffer
                      --
                      Academy Director
                      Memoria Press Online Academy

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post

                        This is definitely on the list now! My problem this morning was I didn't have a list of students and parents outside of Moodle--you can bet I will!

                        Peace,
                        Even a quick post here on the Forum (and any social media MPOA may be using) goes a long way in an emergency. As you see, you may be dealing with parents convinced the problem is theirs, so they end up wasting time with steps that are not really needed (restarting a device, etc.).

                        What a nice learning curve you're on, Mr. Schaeffer
                        DS (16)
                        DD (15)
                        DS (7)

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X