No announcement yet.

Question/Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can say for sure that the default is for those emails to be hidden. I did make some settings changes when I came on board, so that might have been one of them that was updated.

Mrs Bee, thank you for the suggestion. I have turned off those useless fields.

Katie, I've put on my to-do list to add a section to the Parent Handbook about protecting your student profile. I should have that posted in there for the spring semester.

I am working on having a live session with a professional where we can highlight online safety practices. Hopefully that can happen soon.

Thank you for all your feedback!

Peace,
    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
      I can say for sure that the default is for those emails to be hidden. I did make some settings changes when I came on board, so that might have been one of them that was updated.

Mrs Bee, thank you for the suggestion. I have turned off those useless fields.

Katie, I've put on my to-do list to add a section to the Parent Handbook about protecting your student profile. I should have that posted in there for the spring semester.

I am working on having a live session with a professional where we can highlight online safety practices. Hopefully that can happen soon.

Thank you for all your feedback!

Peace,
      Paul
      Thanks! The online session sounds very interesting. There is so much to keep up with these days.
      Dorinda

For 2020-2021
      DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
      DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
      DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
      DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

I have no affiliation yet with MPOA as I only have younger children, but I want to chime in to commend you, pschaeffer. Thank you for making yourself available on this forum and for your willingness to hear comments and implement changes that benefit not only those who currently use MPOA but for those of us who are most likely up and comers. Thank you for continuing to build MPOA.
        2020/2021 - 3rd MP Year
        S - 6, 1st Grader @ home and HLN
        D - 4, Junior Kindergartener @ home
        S - 3, Junior Junior Kindergartener @ home

Comment

I second that. Thank you Paul Schaeffer for being willing to become directly involved. I know it's a lot. Responding to this issue to protect our kids and do whatever you can. That is hugely importtant, more important than anything else. My child's email was shown at the beginning when signed up for classes. That was years and years ago. Maybe my child put it public, we no longer remember because it didn't seem so important at the time. Now it is my husband's email, which is inconvenient, since I think it meant my child doesn't get the notifications, he does. Not sure about that. But it's worth it, and he can just forward them to my child.

At that time, I remember being comfortable, even happy that classmates would be able to connect with each other. I loved it. I was delighted that my lonely child would have some camaraderie with Memoria kids, at last. And my child did make at least one terrific friend by being asked to study over email by a classmate. But the more connections are made, the more the hangouts and skype connections intensify. It's just the way it works. It is truly, "the web." Kid can add your child to any groups online, once they have their email address.

The web started to form, and get bigger and bigger. and then strangers became involved.I have changed my mind after what has happened. I no longer think it is worth it. And it takes away from my child's initiative to make real friends in real life. Sadly. I think now with the online friends already formed- the good ones- it should be phone connections, meeting by video call only, with at least one parent present and around- before any private chats are allowed. Also do not allow kids to take the phone or laptop into their bedroom alone. It's like inviting the whole outside world into their bedroom, unsupervised. Truly.

My child is only auditing one class this year. My child made a few wonderful friends. This has been very good. So with the bad, came some good. My stipulation is that they have to video chat as often as possible so that I can quickly, see the kids, say hi, let them know I'm around- just as I would in real life meetings. If the kids aren't comforatble with that, which I can understand, it is unnerving to have a stranger who is an adult show up in your conversation- than that is a relationship my child has to let go.

Also I allow letter writing. (real letters) I have found that it is very counter-intuitive, but the more real-live connections they can make, where faces are seen and handwriting is seen- the safer and more real and normal the friendship will be. Interestingly, most of the skype and hangouts kids are very reluctant to video chat. They like to hide from eachother. A bad sign.

Keep open, totally calm, and engaged, non-judgementally, so that they will not hide their goings-on from you, but will feel safe to tell you, knowing you won't "freak out." But that you are on their side, wanting them to have healthy freindships.

After that I am (somewhat) comfortable with them chatting with kids ifI know who they are- preferably by video chat- during time frames I've allowed.

I am so glad Mr. Schaeffer is looking into having an online safety class. I hope it will be mandatory for all students and especially for all parents to attend, just as parents have other requirements in MPOA.. Thank you Mr. Schaeffer for doing this.

Lastly, the main issue in this case of my child, was that despite the email being private now, a highly unsupervised classmate that years ago used to be a study buddy, I am not sure who but I suspect, shared my child's email address with strangers online who asked for it, then did what they did. They also closed my child out of all chats, (good for my child, but not so good for the other kids, since now there is no aware parent involved) If it is traffickers, (which I doubt, I suspect they are stranger teen boys who are not nice, but as Paul says, no way of knowing) that is very scary. I am very concerned for this other child's safety, but have no way of reaching the parents or helping, since there is no connection beyond some group chats my child is no longer a part of. What to do? That was part of my thinking in having a forum where parents could connect and warn eachother. But it is too big.

Thank you if you read this far. I won't be able to check back for quite awhile. God bless everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Girlnumber20 View Post

Lastly, the main issue in this case of my child, was that despite the email being private now, a highly unsupervised classmate that years ago used to be a study buddy, I am not sure who but I suspect, shared my child's email address with strangers online who asked for it, then did what they did. They also closed my child out of all chats, (good for my child, but not so good for the other kids, since now there is no aware parent involved) If it is traffickers, (which I doubt, I suspect they are stranger teen boys who are not nice, but as Paul says, no way of knowing) that is very scary. I am very concerned for this other child's safety, but have no way of reaching the parents or helping, since there is no connection beyond some group chats my child is no longer a part of. What to do? That was part of my thinking in having a forum where parents could connect and warn eachother. But it is too big.

Thank you if you read this far. I won't be able to check back for quite awhile. God bless everyone.
            Thank you for sharing your experience. If you need to reach another parent, you can send us an email and we can forward it along as we have parent email addresses on file. We will always send something if concerned for student safety.

We are making progress on an online safety course; we will be emailing all the parents with a date hopefully this week.

Peace,
            Paul
            Paul Schaeffer
            --
            Academy Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Working...
            X