Question/Request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mrs Bee View Post
    I don't think parents have profiles, Mom2mthj - just students. The default profile only lists the classes you're in (and those you've done in the past), the last time you've logged in, and the Ask A Teacher forum posts you have started or contributed to. But students can add a personal introduction/description, and they can add a personal email address. As Paul said, it's a choice: parents always give MPOA students' email addresses for school purposes, but you have to choose to make it public on your profile, it's not automatic.

pschaeffer I think maybe MPOA needs to be more explicit with parents about technology - though I don't know what you're telling parents these days during Orientation. A student could be making his email address "public" (it's still only visible to classmates) without parental knowledge. It may be a concern. Also, I guess kids can always say that the Handbook doesn't explicitly prohibit Google Hangouts, and if they use the excuse that it's class-related, they feel they've found a nice loophole there.
    I know parents don’t have profiles, but I went back to check one of my daughter’s old classes and every kid had an email listed in their profile-some clearly looked like they went in to tell about themselves and some just looked like the default settings. A couple kids even listed where they live and feel to contact them by email or hangouts. I checked my daughter’s profile and it lists my email under her profile. She just said she never did anything to intentionally make it public - she has never even edited her profile as she said it never really seemed that important. I just assumed that the email was explicitly for MPOA and the teachers. I think there is a major disconnect if MPOA is thinking the default of their system is to keep the information private. pschaeffer , can you clarify what benefit there is to student profiles being out there in the first place and granting kids permission to edit them? I don’t feel like there is any benefit to the kids in class having access to first and last names of their classmates or their email addresses. Teachers, yes...students, no.
    Dorinda

For 2020-2021
    DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
    DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
    DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
    DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

When I look at my children's profiles, there is an email listed. But I can't tell if that is visible to anyone else or not. We haven't edited anything, so whatever is there is the default. They don't actually use the email addresses. We had to create them to register in courses.

Blessings,
      Jude
      DD23
      DS20
      DS18
      DS16
      DD13
      DS11
      DD8

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

I know parents don’t have profiles, but I went back to check one of my daughter’s old classes and every kid had an email listed in their profile-some clearly looked like they went in to tell about themselves and some just looked like the default settings. A couple kids even listed where they live and feel to contact them by email or hangouts. I checked my daughter’s profile and it lists my email under her profile. She just said she never did anything to intentionally make it public - she has never even edited her profile as she said it never really seemed that important. I just assumed that the email was explicitly for MPOA and the teachers. I think there is a major disconnect if MPOA is thinking the default of their system is to keep the information private. pschaeffer , can you clarify what benefit there is to student profiles being out there in the first place and granting kids permission to edit them? I don’t feel like there is any benefit to the kids in class having access to first and last names of their classmates or their email addresses. Teachers, yes...students, no.
        I think you have to make a distinction. When I look at my kids' profiles as accessed from the list of participants to a class I don't see any email, not theirs, not mine. When I look at their Moodle profile then I see all the info I entered when I registered them, including my email, our home address, etc. That info is not available to everyone. What classmates see is a lot less. If this is not correct, I hope pschaeffer can provide clarity.

SaintJude7 I think we may be twins - our kids' emails are also "bogus" - simple extensions of Daddy's email created by necessity for MPOA purposes. We think so little of them that when the servers crashed last week, I didn't even think of checking them. Sure enough, when I checked them a few days later, their teacher had emailed students the direct link to the class (he couldn't see parents' emails outside of the crashed system.) And yes, I check those emails, and let the kids read what they need to read, and reply to what they need to reply. I stopped feeling paranoid a long time ago :-(
        DS (14)
        DD (13)
        DS (6)

Comment

I logged in just now and checked a different class. Of 48 students all but 5 had email listed under user info when accessed from the class participant list. Obviously, my daughter’s shows more info so I don’t know what other students see, but the majority show the email and some kids have named their hometown and one gave email, Facebook, Twitter, phone number, and something else. I feel like the privacy settings aren’t what they think they are at least at some points in time - maybe newer students have different settings, but I personally did not know that info was being shared to everyone in her classes. I also don’t feel that the system should be set up to show emails or to allow kids to edit profiles and share all sorts of personal information. There is no need that I can think of that kids in an online class need to know that stuff.
          Dorinda

For 2020-2021
          DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History

Comment

Am I correct in that the only way to see a student's profile is if you are a student registered for the same class? If so, I personally do not have an issue with that. I agree that it should be at the parent's discretion, but I see no harm in a little camaraderie among classmates. My daughter loves reading and studying with her classmates outside of class time. I suppose the issue may be that there is no way to prevent a student from changing the settings as there is no separate parent account to manage that information.
            DD 16 | 11th
            DS 14 | 8th
            DD 12 | 7A

12th Year HSing, 8th Year MP

Comment

I logged in just now and checked a different class. Of 48 students all but 5 had email listed under user info when accessed from the class participant list. Obviously, my daughter’s shows more info so I don’t know what other students see, but the majority show the email and some kids have named their hometown and one gave email, Facebook, Twitter, phone number, and something else. I feel like the privacy settings aren’t what they think they are at least at some points in time - maybe newer students have different settings, but I personally did not know that info was being shared to everyone in her classes. I also don’t feel that the system should be set up to show emails or to allow kids to edit profiles and share all sorts of personal information. There is no need that I can think of that kids in an online class need to know that stuff.
              Is your daughter in an class right now? If she is, you can see what others see about her if you click on her name in the participant list. And yes, jenniferjb , only the other classmates see that. The Moodle profile (that you see by clicking on the child's name on the top right corner of the screen) is the page showing all the info parents have to give MPOA to register. However, that profile, too, presented a potential danger until some time ago: it had messaging settings - though I don't think that things were like that before this summer, MPOA's website has changed quite a bit, and not always for the better. I'm glad to see that now MPOA seems to have disabled messaging totally: if you were not careful, your student could have received messages from anyone, even students outside their classes.

I don't disagree with you at all that it's heedless for kids to put out so much personal information: MPOA has classes from 3rd grade to 12th, and things should be thought through when it comes to online interactions. I do think that MPOA can't do it alone, without the cooperation of parents who don't neglect their duties. You will always have people with different preferences - jenniferjb has a higher tolerance level, for instance, and I think it's ok for MPOA to provide reasonable opportunities that some will use, and others, like you and me, will decline. What's not ok is for parents to totally ignore what kids are doing online - that's truly irresponsible.
              DS (14)
              DD (13)
              DS (6)

Comment

My daughter is in class right now. I did check her profile up in the corner and checked on her name on the participant list and both show all of our information(including address fields) so I don’t think that is an accurate way unless I am missing something. I think it would be a good idea for some sort of communication with parents and students to give some beginning of the year reminders on internet safety and sharing too much information online. Yes, it is a password protected site, but that by no means ensures that it will remain private when so many total strangers have access. The one class I saw of my daughter’s had 48 people on the list. That list also included a non-recording teacher (Or some such tag) from a different school with students taking the online class - I don’t know anything about him or how their school shares information. I don’t mind some basic introductions, but I don’t like the fact that there is no way to have control over what the child can go in and edit in their profile without physically logging into the student account. I am not as concerned about my almost 18yo as I am about potentially allowing my younger children to take classes. Honestly, I have been much more wary about all the other stupid stuff they might do online than the contacts directly through MPOA. I don’t mind a way for the system to contact me as the parent if someone wants to contact my child and approve it on a case by case basis, but I honestly don’t like the fact that the system provides first and last name, email, and biographies and there has never been anything from MPOA in the way of guidance on how to check what others see, gentle reminders on what is appropriate information to share, or notifications when a profile changes. Seriously, one profile listed the girls full name (system provided) and she added to her profile the town and state where she just moved, her fathers new rank in the military, the make and model of every car they drove, an accident they had on the expressway, and her email for good measure. I think MPOA either needs to shut down the profile section or sent out some sort of communication about it. The only thing I can find is a couple of lines in the student handbook about making sure you have accurate parent and student information in the profile which I assumed was for MPOA and the teachers.

yes - MPOA has changed a lot over the years - this year especially- and as a parent it is difficult to keep up with the different software changes. I don’t have a way to go back in time and see what was shared 5 years ago. Her current class had fewer kids without the box showing the email so maybe assuming private is newer, but some of the older classes had everyone’s email visible. Just to be clear, we haven’t had issues personally as our computers and the kid phone are shared resources and I have access to their email accounts because they are my accounts, but there are some doozy profiles out there that share everything short of the kitchen sink. If someone hacks the system or simply takes a screenshot they can get a lot of information VERY quickly.
                Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

My daughter is in class right now. I did check her profile up in the corner and checked on her name on the participant list and both show all of our information(including address fields) so I don’t think that is an accurate way unless I am missing something.
                  I'd like pschaeffer to comment on this, because when I do the same thing with my kids' names, I see very different things in the two situations - barely anything from the list of participants, and everything I have entered when I registered them in their general Moodle profile.

I do agree that Moodle is too much of a hands-off platform, considering how young some students are: a parent only registers the kids, and then the kids's profiles are in the hands of the kids, and either the parent monitors closely, and constantly, or there's nothing preventing a child from sharing inappropriate or imprudent content. When I log in with my own account, I can literally do nothing at all, I don't even see my kids listed with their classes. I don't know if MPOA can do anything about this, or if it's up to Moodle to come up with a more sophisticated system.
                  DS (14)
                  DD (13)
                  DS (6)

Comment

Parent emails on student accounts are always hidden from students. Only teachers and administrators can see that data.

Mom2mthj, FYI your son's profile is set to show his email to other students in his course. It is possible that either all those students manually set them to visible to classmates or something else was going on.

Mrs Bee, thanks for the suggestion. I'm working on ways to better equip our parents and students in this regard.

Peace,
                    Paul
                    Paul Schaeffer
                    --
                    Academy Director
                    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Just to be 100% explicit, so everyone can decide what to do, in the Moodle profile of a student there is a "User details" box - things can be edited by clicking on "Edit profile", and in the "General" section of that page there is the "Email display" setting that decides whether the student's email will be shared, and with whom. It's interesting that it is not a required field, and I have to wonder what the default setting is.

But that "Edit profile" page has a LOT more besides the "General" section, and I would urge MPOA to consider limiting what is available. The "Optional" section is basically what I am talking about, where a student could add a ton of ways to be contacted (ICQ number, Skype ID, Mobile phone just to name a few) - of course all of this is stuff a kid could add in the profile description as well, so the problem somewhat remains.

Thank you pschaeffer for working on this.
                      DS (14)
                      DD (13)
                      DS (6)

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
                        Parent emails on student accounts are always hidden from students. Only teachers and administrators can see that data.

Mom2mthj, FYI your son's profile is set to show his email to other students in his course. It is possible that either all those students manually set them to visible to classmates or something else was going on.

Mrs Bee, thanks for the suggestion. I'm working on ways to better equip our parents and students in this regard.

Peace,
                        Paul
                        Paul,
                        Thanks for the reply. I was looking at my daughter’s account as she said she hadn’t changed anything - whatever hers shows should be the default or at least the default when she started 5 years ago. I know my son had entered a profile when he was in class last year. I would love an instruction sheet on what to check to be able to disable the visible email. Not sure what to do about being able to enter so much in the profile text as that is where I saw lots of over sharing.
                        Dorinda

For 2020-2021

Comment

pschaeffer , I am not sure if this helps. However; just so you're aware I just logged in to my son's account to check the status of his email address. It appears the default is to show the email address to other members of the same class, he said he hasn't been on the setting page to change anything. Every student in his class also has their email address showing. It's not a big deal to us, he rarely checks his email, and hasn't gotten any other students emailing him, but thought I would let you know that was how we found the default settings.
                          ~Michelle

DD 12 (MP 7)
                          DS 9 (Gap Year)
                          DS 4 - Preschool
                          DD 2 - Board Books and Chaos

Comment

Although it isn't the default, it is simple to change the setting to "hide my email address from non-privileged users". I wonder if just a quick mention in the MPOA handbook of how to change the setting, or what is shown as default, would be helpful? Or, maybe the instructors mention it in the open houses? Or an email blast at the beginning of the year? It should be the parent's job to monitor their student's permissions/settings regarding the bio's and what their kids are sharing etc. It's not MPOA's responsibility to police that. I don't think doing away with everything is appropriate either. Although I'm not a fan of my kid's sharing a bunch of personal info, that should be up to each family. This discussion did prompt me to go in a re-check their bio's, which resulted in my son being asked to delete most of his bio for good measure
                            Katie

2020/21: 7th year with MP
                            DS 16: 11th, MPOA Euro Hist I, CS III, Divine Comedy; Schole Geometry, Spanish; Catholic Social Teaching, A & P
                            DD 13: 9th, MPOA Diploma Program; Catholic Social Teaching, VT Alg. 1
                            DD 9: MP 5, Seton Religion and Spelling, MPOA: FF Latin, Fable
                            Twin DD's 7: MP 2, Seton Religion and Phonics

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
                              This discussion did prompt me to go in a re-check their bio's, which resulted in my son being asked to delete most of his bio for good measure
                              LOL!!

#tencharactersneeded
                              Jennifer
                              Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                              DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                              DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                              DS11: SC 4
                              DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                              DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                              DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Mom2mthj and 3Blessings I think I understand what's going on. When you are logged in as one of your children, no matter how you access the profile of that child you will see their Moodle general profile, with all the family details you entered at registration. But if you have another child in a class, and you go to the participant list of that class - while still logged in as the other child - and click on the name of your child in that class, then you should see a lot less information, and what you see is what other classmates see about your kids, as determined by the profile settings.

Now I'm sorry that I assumed that the default was a hidden email for all students - it looks like it may not be the case after all.
                                DS (14)
                                DD (13)
                                DS (6)

Comment

Working...
                                X