iPad for classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPad for classes

One of the instructors mentioned that using an iPad for class would limit the features available to a student. Is this so even if using the Adobe Connect app, and what features are limited? (We have more reliable internet via an iPad with cellular than through our wifi.)

Blessings,
    Jude
    DD24
    DS21
    DS18
    DS16
    DD14
    DS11
    DD9

Hi Jude,
    With the improvements Adobe has made, there really shouldn't be a limitation in functionality with the iPad as long as they are using the app. What may put your student at a slight disadvantage is having to translate the teacher instructions. Teachers are used to teaching on laptops or desktops, so if they say "click on the right" to students, on an iPad it may be on the left.

My guess is this instructor is used to the older Adobe apps for tablets that did significantly reduce functionality in the past.

Peace,
    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

One missing feature we noticed on the native iPad app was a lack of "step away" function. And on Facebook, others mentioned the app does not have the "cages" functionality, which I'm not even sure what that is.

I do find it odd that teachers are dissuading families from using iPads, as reported on Facebook. Perhaps MPOA should send a memo out to teachers really explaining any differences in functionality, and ensure the messaging to families is clear, because some families are getting mixed messages between MPOA administrators and MPOA teachers.
      DD15—MP7, MP8
      DS9—MP1, MP2

Comment

karl_bark, thanks for the feedback. As Adobe is in the middle of updating their software, we are doing everything possible to keep teachers up to date.
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

pschaeffer Thank you. Polls also seem to be a missing feature on the native app. However, the browser version of Adobe Connect is working fine on Safari on the iPad, which my son has been using for the past week.
          DD15—MP7, MP8
          DS9—MP1, MP2

Comment

We are using the latest version of the Adobe Connect app and are able to complete the teacher's poll questions. After the first class my kids had the functions and the icons on the left figured out. (They had a lot of Zoom ballet and chess classes the last six months, and the apps are somewhat similar.)

As a bonus: Since we are using an iPad with a cellular connection, my daughter was able to participate in today's class while we were in the parking lot and in the waiting area at our dentist's office. She did the last ten minutes of class in the dental hygienist's chair. She put one earbud in, I had the other, and she told me what to type. There was a discussion going on between my daughter and my older son and me (after she rinsed and spat) about why "vivat rex" should be translated as "long live the king" and the balance of literal translation vs. conveying the meaning. My example was the German expression, "Schwein haben." The hygienist was laughing away, and said the whole thing had been fascinating to listen to, especially since her room normally only gets PBS Kids.

Blessings,
            Jude
            DD24
            DS21
            DS18
            DS16
            DD14
            DS11
            DD9

Comment

Working...
            X