Foundations of Composition and Classical Composition Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foundations of Composition and Classical Composition Integration

I posted this in the CC thread also but I thought someone form the MPOA thread may have experience with this since FOC is an MPOA course.

My family has used MP Lit guides for a few years now. We've also used MPOA for a Greek Myth and two Lit classes.

I have three children that I am addressing in this post: 13 yos (6th grade), 12 yos (6th grade), 10 yod (4th grade).

This fall the boys will be doing Middle School Comp I (MPOA). Both did a year of IEW with Classical Conversations. I’m not sure how well they were taught/grasped the material but their writing improved tremendously. My daughter will doing IEW this upcoming year for 5th grade. I was thinking about starting her with CC in 7th but I’m not sold on that idea. I want to go through the whole CC sequence with all of them.

Question:
    1. Where in the sequence should I place FOE for my children? Should I take a break one year from CC to do FOE? Should we do it before high school? Should we do it after the CC sequence is done? I see the benefit of the children doing both as different skills/tools will be gained.
    2. FOC uses IEW's Student Writing Intensive (SWI) Level C & Student Writing Intensive Continuation (SWI-C) Course Level C. IEW advertises this as a two year high school level curriculum. SWI Level C is broken up into 30 weeks of lessons and SWI-C is broken up into 32 week worth of lessons. Are there areas skipped in the curriculum?

Fall courses:
    13 year old son:
    Foundations of English (MPOA), Middle School Comp I (MPOA), Classical Studies l (MPOA), Seventh grade Lit (Home or Online), Latin (Home or MPOA), Spelling (Veritas Press Online), Math (Home).

12 year old son:
    Foundations of English (MPOA), Middle School Comp I (MPOA), Classical Studies l (MPOA), Seventh grade Lit (Home or Online), Latin (Home or MPOA), Math (Home).

11 year old (December 2020):
    3rd grade lit (Home), Latin (Home or MPOA), IEW & Shurley English (VP Online), Spelling (Veritas Press Online).

Slight error in question one. It should read:

Where in the sequence should I place FOC for my children? Should I take a break one year from CC to do FOC...

Comment

I see Abigail is working on getting you an answer on the CC board. I'm sure she is checking with Ms. Roemer da Feltre, so she will get you the best answer.

I will give my two cents here though! I believe FOC was originally created to teach fundamentals to students coming to MPOA late. As you are working to lay that groundwork now, your children will probably get what they need through the CC sequence. Abigail might correct me as she is more in tune with each course, but this is currently my understanding.

Peace.
      Paul
      Paul Schaeffer
      --
      Academy Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
        I see Abigail is working on getting you an answer on the CC board. I'm sure she is checking with Ms. Roemer da Feltre, so she will get you the best answer.

I will give my two cents here though! I believe FOC was originally created to teach fundamentals to students coming to MPOA late. As you are working to lay that groundwork now, your children will probably get what they need through the CC sequence. Abigail might correct me as she is more in tune with each course, but this is currently my understanding.

Peace.
        Paul
        Thanks for your response. She has responded and hinted toward what you have stated but she also said it would be perfect to wait until the CC series is completed and use FOC to tie everything together- use the skills acquired in CC courses in various modern writing styles.

Comment

Working...
        X