Economics follow-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Economics follow-up?

My son is in Mr. Wolfe's Econ class currently. He has said numerous times this has been by far his favorite class of all time. Who would have thought?! Not this mom! Looking to further this study and new found love of Econ. Any recommendations for books or courses for follow-up?
    Katie

DS 17: Senior!
    DD 14: 10th
    DD 10: 6th
    Twin DD's 8: 3rd
    Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Hi Katie,

Mr. Achord recommends these two books by Thomas Sowell as a follow-up after that course:

Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One

Economic Facts and Fallacies

They are at a higher level than the book they use in the course, but appropriate for students that are motivated.

Peace,
    Paul
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Originally posted by pschaeffer View Post
      Hi Katie,

Mr. Achord recommends these two books by Thomas Sowell as a follow-up after that course:

Applied Economics: Thinking Beyond Stage One

Economic Facts and Fallacies

They are at a higher level than the book they use in the course, but appropriate for students that are motivated.

Peace,
      Paul
      We're fans of Dr. Thomas Sowell, too. If the book is too heady, there are many lectures and presentations he's given that are archived on YouTube. Try watching one the interviews or lectures first (for the overview and broad strokes), then look up some of the jargon if it wasn't explained in the Econ class, then read the book. That's our approach for reading books on a new topic.

I did not think my estimation of MP could get any higher....
      Mama to 2

Spring start MP1
      Summer start 5A

Completed MPK, MP1 Math & Enrichment, MP2, 3A, 4A, SC B, SC C,
      SC1 (Phonics/Math), SC2's Writing Book 1

Comment

Originally posted by Katie View Post
        My son is in Mr. Wolfe's Econ class currently. He has said numerous times this has been by far his favorite class of all time. Who would have thought?! Not this mom! Looking to further this study and new found love of Econ. Any recommendations for books or courses for follow-up?
        Ooooh ---- good to know. I took a microeconomics course at our local community college YEARS ago, and I adored it. I think it should be required education for adulthood.
        Plans for 2021-22

Year 11 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 26 - Small Business owner with 2 locations
        DD2 - 15 - 10th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA/True North Academy/Vita Beata - equestrian
        DS3 - 13 -6A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
        DS4 - 13 - 6A Cottage School -soccer -auditory processing disorder
        DD5 - 9 - 4A, Cottage School/MPOA -equestrian
        DS6 - 7 - MPK - first time at the Cottage School this fall!

Comment

Thank you, Paul. Adding to our list.

Embateau, thanks for the YouTube idea. I'm sure that will be super helpful for my son. He's very auditory/visual.

Dianna, after listening in on a couple of the classes, I couldn't agree more. I never took Econ in college, but wished I had.
          Katie

DS 17: Senior!
          DD 14: 10th
          DD 10: 6th
          Twin DD's 8: 3rd
          Mix of MP, Co-op, TAN and traveling the U.S

Comment

Working...
          X