Traditional Logic II in Fall 2020?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traditional Logic II in Fall 2020?

My son is currently taking the 10-week Traditional Logic I intensive (THANK YOU again for offering that!). I see that TL II is scheduled for the spring.

Will a TL II class be offered for Fall 2020?

If it's not, can he go straight to Material Logic in the fall without taking TL II? Or would he be lost without the content from TL II?

Thanks,
    Lauren
    Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
    11th grade DS: Mix of MP materials, MPOA, and BJU
    9th grade DD: Mostly 9M, MPOA, and French
    7th grade DD: 7M
    5th Grade DD: 5M
    4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Hi Lauren,

I hadn't thought of offering TL II this fall but now it's on my list. It makes sense to let those kids in the class now continue on. I can't say for sure it will be a go, but we will probably give it a shot.

You can jump from TL I to Material Logic but it would be harder to pick up TL II later since TL II builds straight upon TL I.

Peace,
    Paul Schaeffer
    Paul Schaeffer
    --
    Academy Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you for considering a TL II for the fall! My son has learned so much from Mr. Hanson and said it's been his favorite class this year.

How will I know if the class is in fact offered this fall? Should I frequently check in at the Academy to see the Logic class offerings? I just don't want to miss it, and it fill up without us!

Thanks for your reply,
      Lauren
      Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:
      4.5 yo DS: Outside as much as possible beating on things with sticks; MP Jr. K and Mom made fun things

Comment

Thanks for the feedback about Mr. Hanson. It is always good to hear what students say about their teachers I've put your email on our list to contact when we put that course up.

Peace.
        Paul Schaeffer
        --
        Academy Director

Comment

Mr. Schaeffer,

I'm happy to see that you added that. I'm not sure if that time will work for us. If it doesn't we'd also be interested in a self-paced Logic 2 just like the self-paced Logic 1. So far that is working out for us very well.
          Christina

Comment

Originally posted by happyhappyjoyjoy View Post
            Mr. Schaeffer,

I'm happy to see that you added that. I'm not sure if that time will work for us. If it doesn't we'd also be interested in a self-paced Logic 2 just like the self-paced Logic 1. So far that is working out for us very well.
            I second this! We would love a paid self-paced intensive option for TLII that we could pick up with as soon as TLI finishes. Basically, my daughter's entire summer plans to study abroad have had to be abandoned with the pandemic concerns. She just wants to keep doing classes because having a schedule keeps her from going crazy at home. We are also looking at some of the MPOA summer classes to help keep her spirits up. I saw the Logic one but that seems to be TLI again. Thank you for all the options you are working on for us!

Kristin
            Kristin - Administrator for Vita Beata (discussion classes for MP users)
            DD19; AFROTC and Aerospace Engineering Major
            DD17; Senior - doing MP Divine Comedy, Renaissance & Reformation, Cicero & Augustine, and moderating 4th Grade Literature for Vita Beata.

Comment

Kristin,

The Logic summer course is actually a review course, not TL I again. We want students to be used to the ideas in Logic I, but they will be practicing what they should already know, not learning or re-learning things.

Thanks for the feedback on the self-paced courses.
              Paul Schaeffer
              --
              Academy Director

Comment

I have a question. I would totally welcome the development of more self-paced classes with MPOA, if that's a way to offer a class without worrying about a minimum number of enrolled students. It's not the same as a live class, of course, but if it provides value to both the Academy and parents, I'd be the first one to cheer. But there is one thing I don't understand. MP sells instructional DVDs for both Logic I and II, so what is the value of a self-paced class with MPOA, where there is no direct relationship between teacher and student anyway? What is the student getting that he wouldn't get through the DVDs?
                DS (16)
                DD (15)
                DS (7)

Comment

If we rolled out the self-paced courses in a paid way, we would have a teacher available via the Ask a Teacher Forum (something we didn't offer for these free versions).

Also, the self-paced courses include the lesson plans and automatic grading of quizzes to alleviate parent work.

However, we only released those self-paced courses due to the need at this time. We aren't sure it is something we will pursue.

Peace,
                  Paul Schaeffer
                  Paul Schaeffer
                  --
                  Academy Director

Comment

Thank you for the explanation. Yes, it must not be an easy decision for MPOA, but in these circumstances it looks like these classes were good out-of-the-box thinking on your part. Can I advertise the free self-paced Logic to my non-MP friends even now? Will the content be available until Sept. 30?
                    DS (16)
                    DD (15)
                    DS (7)

Comment

Yes, please share it around. The courses and quizzes contained therein will be open until Sept 30.

Peace.
                      Paul Schaeffer
                      --
                      Academy Director

Comment

For our family, the benefit of the online quizzes is a huge plus. It is a night and day difference. The knowledge of deadlines outside of our family are also a huge factor. The addition of a teacher forum would be an added bonus.
                        Last edited by happyhappyjoyjoy; 04-30-2020, 12:36 PM.
                        Christina

Comment

pschaeffer Mr. Schaeffer, I am loading my shopping cart to order books for next year, and I see from the TL II course description that the full TL II set is needed (including the DVDs).

I'm assuming this is an error with the link?

Will you verify what needs to be ordered for the Fall Semester TL II MPOA class with Mr. Hanson?

Thank you!
                          Lauren
                          Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:

Comment

MamaHill - Sorry about that. The link was incorrect. I've got that fixed now. You just need the Text, Workbook, and Key: https://www.memoriapress.com/curricu...nline-academy/

Thank you!

Comment

Thank you!! I appreciate your quick response and the direct link.

Lauren
                              Mama to 5 Sweet Ones

2021-2022:

Comment

Working...
                              X