Prealgebra prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prealgebra prep

I would like for my son to take MPOA Pre-algebra next year. His Math has been all over the place due to multiple placements and schooling situations, so we have been addressing gaps this year and I really want to make sure that I get him fully prepared to do well in this class. For prereqs it says mastery of addition and subtraction of large numbers and long multiplication and division and we are trying to work on fractions, etc - is there anything else specific I should be focusing on to prepare him?
    also, he is older than the grades listed (7-8) - he'll actually be in 10th... We are aware he is behind in math - as is our umbrella school - would he still be able to take the class?
    Thanks,
    Julia
    2019-2020
    DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
    DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Julia this s a really great question. My boy is still trudging through multiplication in 6th grade. He is currently using the Simply Classical curriculum 5/6 at the one year pace.

I am following along as I am curious how / whether MP addresses their age limits on their online classes. As our SC kids will hit these classes at older ages than normal, I am curious whether online classes will be an option.
    Married to DH for 14 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS11- Simply Classical 5/6
    DD9- Simply Classical 5/6 (neurotypical, but schooling with big brother to save mom's sanity)
    DD 6- Classic Core First Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, and second grade.
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, and 4.

Comment

I am sure Mr. Piland will reply during the regular school week, but in the meantime I think the grade levels are generally recommendations. There are a few class (Biology and AP classes mostly) where it states no one younger than ninth grade is allowed to enroll. My biggest concern would be the pace of the material-if you are used to taking things slowly, the class is not going to slow down for one student. I think in the case of prealgebra, MPOA doesn’t want kids who are too young to participate properly. They need to be able to submit their homework, type appropriately in the chat box, focus for an hour to an hour and a half on math, keep track of quiz deadlines, etc. On the upper grade level, prealgebra typically will not count as a high school math credit which is why 8th is listed. I do believe that they have allowed older kids in the class, but a call to Mr. Piland is the best place to start. He is super helpful and wants the students to have a successful experience in the class.

What are you using for math this year? Something like rod and Staff 6 should be a good base. You really want them to be fluent in the basics. I don’t remember if Rod and Staff covers anything with negative numbers or the concept of variables. Those will be big going forward, but they sometimes throw kids at first. I would suggest buying a copy of COTW now to familiarize yourself with what it expects and make sure you like the format of the text. I would also suggest you check out videotext as well before you make your final decision. It is a very incremental, self paced program that starts with prealgebra. If you are willing to work through the summers (we do all the time), it would allow him to start before next fall and get through the algebra sequence faster than with online classes where you have to wait over the summer for the next class to start. The author was at the MP conference this past summer and it seemed very good. It will be a very different experience than a live online class, but now is the time to evaluate your options before fall.

Dorinda

For 2020-2021
      DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
      DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
      DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
      DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

waving ......

My daughter is in the pre-algebra class in the MPOA. I highly recommend Mrs Kassner.

I would recommend solid knowledge of multiplication and division. Fractions and decimals would be helpful as well. Each week, they have a speed drill as one of their assignments. My daughter has gotten much better with practice.

Rachel did not have any experience with negative numbers, but her class covered them well. As far as a base, we did R&S 6.

You can look at the ENTIRE book here.
        https://www.redwoods.edu/math/Free-Math-Textbooks

Plans for 2020-21

Year 10 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 25 - Small Business owner with a STOREFRONT
        DD2 - 14 - 9th grade - HLS Cottage School/MPOA - equestrian
        DS3 - 12 - 5A Cottage School - soccer
        DS4 - 12 - 5A Cottage School -soccer
        DD5 - 8 - 3A, Cottage School -equestrian and Irish dance
        DS6 - 6 - MP K - home with Momma

Comment

Wow, thanks so much for the textbook link - I had no idea that was available ... That's super helpful!
          We're using a mix of stuff now because we started out thinking he would be in prealgebra (or at least almost) and realizing that he was in no way ready (he was at a boarding school for 15 months prior to this year). I will check out rod and staff 6 and see how it compares to what we have - it may be more cohesive ... Or we may already be doing the same things with our mix. Thanks so much.
          2019-2020
          DS14: gr9- MP8, FFL, fable/narrative (MPOA), R&S math 6, Myself & Others 3, Ligonier connect biblical studies, coop art/PE/Life Skills
          DS9: gr4- MP4, LC, intro to comp, LOF Math, Myself and Others 3, catechism workbook, coop art/PE/supplemental science

Comment

Good afternoon everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that Mr. Piland won't be able to respond for a few days. He is currently out of the office welcoming the newest little Piland to the family

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Send him our congratulations! What a great reason not to respond for awhile 😀
              Dorinda

For 2020-2021
              DD 17-12th with MPOA(Classical Studies 3), CLRC (Latin 6, Greek 5), Thinkwell (Calculus and Chemistry), Vita Beata (Divine Comedy), American History
              DS 15-9th with Lukeion(Latin 1 and Greek 1), Vita Beata (9th Literature)
              DS 12-7th with Right Start Level H online class, Vita Beata (6th Literature)
              DS 6 - 2nd blazing our own trail with Right Start D and a mix of MP materials

Comment

Originally posted by Julia View Post
                Wow, thanks so much for the textbook link - I had no idea that was available ... That's super helpful!
                We're using a mix of stuff now because we started out thinking he would be in prealgebra (or at least almost) and realizing that he was in no way ready (he was at a boarding school for 15 months prior to this year). I will check out rod and staff 6 and see how it compares to what we have - it may be more cohesive ... Or we may already be doing the same things with our mix. Thanks so much.
                Just wanted to chime in and add my vote for VideoText. My two 10th graders have always struggled in math. We did COTR in 8th but, due to teacher-fail on my part, they had to retake it in 9th with MPOA (we LOVE Mrs. Kassner, too!). One son did fairly well, but the other only had a C for the course and still didn't understand things well. I went to the VideoText session at Sodalitas last year and was very impressed. A friend — who is much more math-savvy than I am! — went to the more in-depth VideoText session during the HLS Teacher Training. She confirmed for me that VT was a great program so we switched this year.

My one son was excited to switch because it means he can solidify pre-algebra AND cover Algebra I and Algebra II in one year, then follow it with VideoText Geometry, and still have time left for a higher math during his senior year. The other son was excited because he can actually UNDERSTAND why things work the way they do instead of being told to do this and that and not understand how it's working. He came to me the other day to show me his most recent lesson and said, "I finally understand [equivalent] fractions!" WIN!
                Jennifer
                Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS16: MP, MPOA, HSC, Breaking the Barrier French
                DS15: MP, MPOA, HSC
                DS12: Mash-up of 6/7M
                DS11: SC 4
                DD9: 3A with First Form Latin (long story!)
                DD8: Mash-up of SC 1/2
                DD5: January birthday, using SC B and C as a two-year JrK

Comment

Thanks for your patience everyone! Baby is doing great and so is momma!

The grade levels are just suggestions and it would be fine for him to take the class if you choose to do so. I can 100% concur that students who have mastered the material in the Rod and Staff 6th Grade text don't tend to have as many issues.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
                  Director
                  Memoria Press Online Academy

Comment

Thank you all - we will work through the Rod and staff material. I think we will just have enough time if he does well with it - it does seem much more straight forward than some of the other things we have done. We may have trouble making it through all of the geometry section in the last couple of chapters, though.

And Congratulations on the new baby!
                    2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                    X