Cost of classes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cost of classes

Mr. Piland, could you by any chance share a resource with the cost of each MPOA class? If they can change yearly, I'd be happy with just this current academic year. Once a class is full the price disappears, and I haven't been able to find another page on the website that details them.
    Thank you!

Prices have been pretty stable over the few years we have used MPOA.
    Semester classes are 275, HS classes are around 550 with those that meet 2x a week slightly higher (biology was 575 last year) and classical composition more like 625(?) due to the small class size and lots of teacher hand grading. I can’t find my invoice, but I think my daughter’s AP Latin this year was 650. Keep in mind if you know what you want early (like February-ish) there is a 10% discount for registering early. The diploma program is a good deal if you want 5 classes because it keeps the price down to about $500 for everything. I would suggest having your student try an online class before jumping into five. Some kids love the format (my daughter), but some kids really don’t.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
      Prices have been pretty stable over the few years we have used MPOA.
      Semester classes are 275, HS classes are around 550 with those that meet 2x a week slightly higher (biology was 575 last year) and classical composition more like 625(?) due to the small class size and lots of teacher hand grading. I can’t find my invoice, but I think my daughter’s AP Latin this year was 650. Keep in mind if you know what you want early (like February-ish) there is a 10% discount for registering early. The diploma program is a good deal if you want 5 classes because it keeps the price down to about $500 for everything. I would suggest having your student try an online class before jumping into five. Some kids love the format (my daughter), but some kids really don’t.
      Thanks! I did get a private answer to my question. Our older two did one class two years ago, and are enrolled in two this year: they love it and are doing very well, so that's not an issue. It is true that jumping even from 2 to 5 is something to think about, although if one can combine 2 semester classes, one in the fall and one in the spring, it sounds a little more manageable. I have two very good students (when they pay attention... but it seems they like paying attention to the MPOA teachers better than they do to me ), but I do wonder about the workload of 5 online classes, combined with the rigid pace of a class calendar: at home it's not the end of the world taking 40 weeks to complete what was supposed to be done in 36, but that doesn't happen with a formal class. On the other hand, high school is high school

Comment

It was a lot (a couple were not with MPOA), but she did it. It stressed me out a bit, but it was nice to be done with everything at a reasonable time of year.
        Dorinda

For 2019-2020
        DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
        DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

It was a lot (a couple were not with MPOA), but she did it. It stressed me out a bit, but it was nice to be done with everything at a reasonable time of year.
          Did she enter the diploma in 9th or 10th? That's another doubt we find hard to settle. Thanks!!

Comment

My daughter did not join the diploma program. I researched it for awhile, but could not make it work for her particular situation. She had taken several of the required classes in middle school and was taking Greek with a different provider and I couldn’t put together a full plan through senior year to take advantage of the pricing. Michigan has almost no requirements and I found it more to our advantage to just sign up early for individual classes. It is a really great program especially if you need extra documentation for your state requirements or if you don’t want to do all the research or just don’t have the time. I need to start the process over for my son as it is an individual decision for each child.
            Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

My daughter did not join the diploma program. I researched it for awhile, but could not make it work for her particular situation. She had taken several of the required classes in middle school and was taking Greek with a different provider and I couldn’t put together a full plan through senior year to take advantage of the pricing. Michigan has almost no requirements and I found it more to our advantage to just sign up early for individual classes. It is a really great program especially if you need extra documentation for your state requirements or if you don’t want to do all the research or just don’t have the time. I need to start the process over for my son as it is an individual decision for each child.
              We're in VA, so we're lightly regulated too - no need for an umbrella school or anything. You are right that the early enrollment discount is an attractive option. Anyway, thank you so much for your answers, and also all that you've been writing for years in the science-related posts: I've learned a ton from you, momgineer, Jen in Japan, and Cindy Davis about the approach we should use when organizing science studies. I'm very grateful!

Comment

Working...
              X