Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help ASAP

Hi Everyone,

I could use some quick help. I'm trying to beat the deadline for making sure my son (currently in MPOA AP US History) can take the AP exam locally. We are setting up his college board account so that he can join the AP US History class on their website with the join code. We have the join code and the MP school code. But MP is not listed in the schools anywhere for when you set up your student's account information. So I had to click the box that says "My school is not listed." We have the account set up and are trying to navigate all the AP portions of the College Board site and all it wants to do is keep kicking us back to my son's account profile. I'm suspecting it's because this 'school' box is empty, even though I clicked "My school is not listed."

Does anyone have any help for us? I've tried both Safari and Chrome on our desktop. AT this point, I have no way to register my son for the AP US History exam and I'm being told by his MPOA teacher the deadline is tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Susan P in VA

The college board homeschool code is 970000
    some also have tried name of state homeschool

you need the join join code for the class and then you need to contact the school for an exam only code so that they can order a test for your son. That code will also be entered into the student’s college board account. I believe the October 4th date is the recommended deadline for contacting schools to set up an exam.
    https://apcourseaudit.inflexion.org/ledger/. This link can help you find schools that offer the AP exams you want, but college board will tell you (hopefully) what schools accept outside students. Let me know if you have more questions.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Hello,

This has been a point of confusion for folks re the College Board. We are on the Approved Online Provider list but online schools are not generally listed on the public ledger because the public ledger is mostly for brick-and-mortar schools. However, I did speak to the College Board just the other day and they did notify me that online schools can now get on the ledger through a process I just started with the College Board's Code Control. Next year you should see us on the public ledger. Folks will still have to register at a local physical school but it will make finding MPOA much easier.

Once you call a physical school and get the AP Coordinator they should be able to take it from there, as long as they are willing to let your student sit for an exam. Here is the authoritative document for the College Board that AP Coordinators use. The preferred deadline is tomorrow and what many AP Coordinators go by, but technically according to the College Board students have until November 15, though it depends on whether or not the Coordinator from the physical school is willing to order it that late. They won't incur any late fees or charges from the College Board if they order by November 15, we've just been stressing the Oct. 4 deadline.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy
      onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
      (877) 745-8866

Comment

Scott and Dorinda,

Thanks for trying to help me. Sorry, but I'm still really confused. Is 'all' I'm supposed to do is go to my local high school AP coordinator and they do everything? If that's the case, then why did the MPOA AP US History teacher give us a 'join code' and a MP code of '00564' (which is different than what the homeschool code is that Dorinda wrote above)?

I'm very confused. Please help.

Susan Pearson

Comment

Hi Susan,

Thanks for the email. Here goes:

(1) There are two join codes. One is something our teacher gives for access to the online resources for the exams.
          (2) The second join code is the one the AP Coordinator at the physical school gives you.
          (3) The AP Coordinator at the school is the one that registers you for the exam.
          (4) The AP Online Provider Code (000564) is the code that is written in the test booklet on test day so we automatically receive scores.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
          Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy
          onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
          (877) 745-8866

Comment

Okay, thanks. I've spent hours on this the past couple days and we're just spinning our wheels here. No private schools in the area will either allow my son to sit for the exam or are offering the exam. My only hope is local high school, which isn't getting anywhere because I can't get a response from them.

On top of that, we can't get past the "update account" page on my son's college board account because it wants us to put something (that it will recognize and accept) in the "where do you go to school?" box. Even when I click on the little box that says, "My school is not listed" it still kicks the update account page back to us. So at this point we are stuck at the update account page, unable to access anything on the AP Student web portion of the CollegeBoard website. I've tried the code Dorinda mentioned (970000) and I've tried the code Scot mentioned (000564). That box wants an actual name/address school that pops up that you need to choose.

Comment

So a bit of an update.....I just gave up on my more local public high school and called one of the other high schools in the county a bit farther away (the one with the better reputation) and had a very pleasant experience with their guidance counseling office. They told me they've had other homeschoolers sit for these exams, and that I'm within the 'window of opportunity' and that they usually order a few extra tests for situations like these. So I'm encouraged. I should know more next week.

In the meantime, I still have this college board account problem. One tech help person over the phone suggested we use something other than an Apple so that we could do all college board website activity using Internet Explorer. We have no access to Explorer, although I suppose I could go to the library and work on a PC. Can you believe an organization as huge as the college board suggesting you only use their website with PC-based Explorer? Strange, if you ask me.

Comment

It wouldn't be the first strange thing from the college board. I linked the course register because someone on the well trained mind forum mentioned it. Last year I tried forever looking for AP Latin and couldn't beg borrow our plead my way to someone who would offer it for us. The college board insisted there was no way to give me info on who offered the exam. The AP register at least tells you what brick and mortar schools at least bothered to get a syllabus approved. I finally found a spot for this year and was so happy!

One problem is that with the new system many schools aren't exactly sure how to create the exam only code. Why in the world would they change the ordering system the same year they move the order deadline up by months? Not a super smooth move.

I can't speak to Apple products, but we did my daughter's on a pc two years ago. I would still advise creating the account with the homeschool code since the college board account will be needed for SAT registration.

Good luck! The whole process just seems more stressful than it really needs to be.
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Hi, Susan! I just read this. I hope everything works out for him to take the AP test; the nice school in the country sounds promising. We've had struggles finding a host school for the AP Latin test, but finally a nice private school came through for us. College board is a headache. I had a few difficult phone conversations with a college board rep. in Manilla, Philippines .. Good luck to you guys!
                  Ora et labora,
                  Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Working...
                  X