Classical Studies doubts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Studies doubts

My kids are doing CS I this year. I am a bit perplexed by the structure of this class, and I'd like to know if all sections are organized the same way, as well as CS II and CS III. The students are supposed to study and answer the workbook questions *before* the class, and a big goal of the lesson is to evaluate "participation" by having the teacher call on students to give their answer to the workbook questions: that's because these answers are not submitted for evaluation - students only submit quizzes and other assignments. After the class, students take the quiz on what they just studied, and also study and answer the questions for the following class. I have to say, I find this approach very disappointing: there doesn't seem to be a lot of value in having the students do the heavy lifting before class, and class is mostly checking that the questions were answered. It seems an awfully counter intuitive way to go about teaching history, and it doesn't leave room to the teacher to add much value. This is especially true because the pace is, at least for now, quite fast: the section on Hebrew history is condensed in one lesson, so the students have to prepare it in one week. It seems rather rushed.

We're also doing a Science class, which seems to make a lot more sense: the teacher has some review questions at the beginning of the lesson, then teaches new content, then asks some questions to make sure students have paid attention. Then students submit weekly their answers to further questions on the new material, then there are quizzes, projects, and final exams.

So my question again is: what's the idea behind organizing CS I this way, and are CS 2 and 3 organized the same way?
    Thanks!
Working...
X