Can you recommend a computer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you recommend a computer?

I'm looking for a laptop for my student taking online courses to use in order to free up our desktop. Can anyone recommend one that they have used for the online academy classes without any problems?

We have only done the summer classes, but I have an Acer Chromebook 14 that I got on Amazon a couple of years ago for about $200 that worked wonderfully. There is currently one on sale at Costco that I am considering since I have 2 in online composition classes this fall. I will say for fall I have purchased a headset with microphone for my daughter for classes. I think it will be less distracting for her with 3 siblings to have the sound muffled and the microphone will make it easier for her to be heard. Her typing skills aren't great yet, so she often requested the microphone to comment in class.
    ~Michelle

DD 10 (MP 5)
    DS 8 (MP 4)
    DS 2 - board books and causing chaos
    DD Born 6/27/18

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post
      We have only done the summer classes, but I have an Acer Chromebook 14 that I got on Amazon a couple of years ago for about $200 that worked wonderfully. There is currently one on sale at Costco that I am considering since I have 2 in online composition classes this fall. I will say for fall I have purchased a headset with microphone for my daughter for classes. I think it will be less distracting for her with 3 siblings to have the sound muffled and the microphone will make it easier for her to be heard. Her typing skills aren't great yet, so she often requested the microphone to comment in class.
      Good evening Michelle,

I'm so glad your Chromebook worked well for you! I do want to note for anyone who has yet to purchase a laptop (such as the OP) that Chromebooks are not officially supported by Adobe Connect. See the answer to the first question, "What are the technical requirements?", on the MPOA FAQs page. For anyone who already owns a Chromebook and is having trouble, see posts #5-7 in this thread for a possible workaround discovered by a forum member.

HTH!
      Michael
      Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Good evening Michelle,

I'm so glad your Chromebook worked well for you! I do want to note for anyone who has yet to purchase a laptop (such as the OP) that Chromebooks are not officially supported by Adobe Connect. See the answer to the first question, "What are the technical requirements?", on the MPOA FAQs page. For anyone who already owns a Chromebook and is having trouble, see posts #5-7 in this thread for a possible workaround discovered by a forum member.

HTH!
        My apologies. I didn't realize that about Chromebooks. We do have a laptop and a desktop as well, but they're not nearly as portable and easy to use, so we gravitate towards the Chromebooks, and thankfully didn't have any problems last year. I will keep that in mind though when we start back up for the fall!
        ~Michelle

DD 10 (MP 5)
        DS 8 (MP 4)
        DS 2 - board books and causing chaos
        DD Born 6/27/18

Comment

Originally posted by 3Blessings View Post

My apologies. I didn't realize that about Chromebooks. We do have a laptop and a desktop as well, but they're not nearly as portable and easy to use, so we gravitate towards the Chromebooks, and thankfully didn't have any problems last year. I will keep that in mind though when we start back up for the fall!
          I'm the mother who started the thread linked by Michael. We bought our chromebook for the same reasons, and after problems started I felt like we missed some due diligence, because it's true that the Online Academy is explicit about them. What was frustrating was that things were fine for a while, but then when you deal with automatic updates you're not really in control of what is done to your computer! The solution I mention in the other thread does work, and you should keep it in mind if you ever start having troubles with Adobe Connect.
          Now honestly I regret buying it, and wished we had gotten another laptop: it is portable, but that's just about all I like about it!

Comment

Here is a tip on Chromebooks to get around some of the issues (if you have them). Copy and paste this into the URL address bar in Chrome:

chrome://settings/content/popups

Then make sure your pop-up blocker is ON. The Adobe app should then open up in a tab in your browser. This is a quick-fix workaround and doesn't really solve the problem, but it might help you to keep using the Chromebook.

It's worth trying at least!

Scott Piland
            Director
            Memoria Press Online Academy
            onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
            (877) 745-8866

Comment

We have used a windows based laptop and not had any real issues with MPOA. I have never tried a Mac. Unless you have a strong attachment to a Mac (in which case I doubt you would be asking), a Windows PC is going to be cheaper and more versatile that a Mac. We usually go to Costco and pick out the one that is on sale. They have a great warranty and have always seemed to be a good deal. We have a Lenovo 15” (going into its 6th year) and an HP 17” (going into third year and just came back from have battery replaced because it quit charging). I have asked a few times about chrome books, but my husband has always said “you don’t want one of those”. Part of the problem is they have minimal storage space so you have to be online to work. That said, a strong internet connection has been the biggest difference we have noticed between being moderately happy and completely happy. When we initially started with MPOA we only had what we called a jet pack. It was mobile wifi through our cell phone data plan. It usually worked pretty well, but two classes pretty much used up our mobile data for the month. Att dsl solved that problem, but was too slow to do anymore than stream one class at a time. We now have the base xfininity (Comcast) plan that works well for multiple classes simultaneously (I have 3 kids with online classes this year) plus someone else online at the same time (I sometimes forget when they are in class). Moral: good internet trumps great laptop in my personal opinion.
              Dorinda

For 2019-2020
              DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
              DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
              DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
              DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
              X