Help with Latin Placement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with Latin Placement?

My daughter will be a Junior next year at Wilson Hill Academy (a classical online school). She has taken Latin 1 & 2 at WHA, but we are having a difficult time making Latin 3 fit into her schedule, around her other required courses. (We are West Coast, so that makes our choices limited, without starting class at 5 am!)

Wilson HIll will accept transfer credit, and I am considering enrolling her in an MP online Latin course if I can make it fit in her schedule. The question is...which one.

WHA uses Latin Alive 1 from Classical Academic Press for its Latin 1 course and Latin Alive 2 for Latin 2. They cover the entire content of the books for mastery. Can you tell me where, approximately, that would place my daughter within the MP sequence of classes?

Thank you for your help!

Shawna

Originally posted by ShawnaB View Post
    My daughter will be a Junior next year at Wilson Hill Academy (a classical online school). She has taken Latin 1 & 2 at WHA, but we are having a difficult time making Latin 3 fit into her schedule, around her other required courses. (We are West Coast, so that makes our choices limited, without starting class at 5 am!)

Wilson HIll will accept transfer credit, and I am considering enrolling her in an MP online Latin course if I can make it fit in her schedule. The question is...which one.

WHA uses Latin Alive 1 from Classical Academic Press for its Latin 1 course and Latin Alive 2 for Latin 2. They cover the entire content of the books for mastery. Can you tell me where, approximately, that would place my daughter within the MP sequence of classes?

Thank you for your help!

Shawna
    Good afternoon Shawna,

I'm sure Mr. Piland will be able to help you place your child and that you will hear from him soon. In the meantime, I wanted to ask a couple follow-up questions that might allow me to assist you (and will certainly allow Mr. Piland to even better assist you):
    1. Is the plan to use MPOA for junior-year Latin and then return to Wilson Hill? Or will your daughter continue with MPOA for senior-year Latin (or even cease Latin study after this junior year)?
    2. If your daughter will be returning to Wilson Hill, for what program will she need to be prepared?
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Hi Shawna,

Your student would go into our Henle Latin I Units 6-14 class, given the Table of Contents of Latin Alive 3. Did you get a chance to think about where you would proceed after this though? The biggest challenge is jumping from one program to another because of the arrangement and sequencing of the grammar, syntax, and vocab. Happy to chat about this if you like, just call (877) 745-8866.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy
      onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
      (877) 745-8866

Comment

Thank you for your help, and my apologies for the delayed response. You ask very excellent questions and bring up good points to consider about jumping from one Latin program to another.

My daughter is well into a diploma program with a classical school, so a class via MPOA would go on her transcript as a transfer course.

Were she to continue the following year taking Latin with her current high school, Latin 4, the course description is as follows:

Latin 4--Latin Readings: Latin Readings is an honors-level course designed for intermediate Latin students who have finished working through Latin grammar (using Wheelock’s Latin or Latin Alive! I-III, or the equivalent) and are ready to practice reading Latin literature. Grammar will be reviewed continuously as students grow in their translation skills, reading a selection of literature from Cicero to Newton. Students will explore a variety of time periods, styles, and genres, studying literary components of the texts in addition to Latin grammar and syntax, with a teacher who will integrate Latin Readings with The Great Conversation classes. Latin Readings is good preparation for a student considering AP Latin.

Alternately, she could do the next level with MPOA, depending on how that may fit into her schedule, and receive transfer credit.

Given this, do you still agree that Henle 1 Units 6-14 is the appropriate course?

Many thanks,
        Shawna

Comment

Originally posted by ShawnaB View Post
          Thank you for your help, and my apologies for the delayed response. You ask very excellent questions and bring up good points to consider about jumping from one Latin program to another.

My daughter is well into a diploma program with a classical school, so a class via MPOA would go on her transcript as a transfer course.

Were she to continue the following year taking Latin with her current high school, Latin 4, the course description is as follows:

Latin 4--Latin Readings: Latin Readings is an honors-level course designed for intermediate Latin students who have finished working through Latin grammar (using Wheelock’s Latin or Latin Alive! I-III, or the equivalent) and are ready to practice reading Latin literature. Grammar will be reviewed continuously as students grow in their translation skills, reading a selection of literature from Cicero to Newton. Students will explore a variety of time periods, styles, and genres, studying literary components of the texts in addition to Latin grammar and syntax, with a teacher who will integrate Latin Readings with The Great Conversation classes. Latin Readings is good preparation for a student considering AP Latin.

Alternately, she could do the next level with MPOA, depending on how that may fit into her schedule, and receive transfer credit.

Given this, do you still agree that Henle 1 Units 6-14 is the appropriate course?

Many thanks,
          Shawna
          Thank you for the additional information! Yes, the Henle I, Units 6-14 class should be just fine. A student who completes Henle I has completed the bulk of the Latin grammar and is ready for a translation course such as Caesar.

HTH!
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

Working...
          X