Classical Studies I vs Chreia Maxim-Online Academy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Studies I vs Chreia Maxim-Online Academy

I'm debating whether I should enroll my 7th grader in one of these two classes! One of the reasons I'm considering the online academy this year is because 6A just did not happen the way I had planned. We did not finish a few subjects. We did not do Chreia Maxim last year (mea culpa!). My thinking is, since I already got the DVDs for the Iliad/Odyssey I could teach these but I honestly do not feel confident to teach any of these two subjects on top of other things happening now in our lives ;0( Which one would you choose? Also, does someone know if there are any discounts available? That'd be so helpful since I already bought all the 7A and 4A materials.

Thank you for your suggestions!
    PS: I meant Chreia Maxim/Ref-Con combined class
    Last edited by MG_; 07-09-2019, 02:04 PM.
    ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

Good afternoon,

I've moved your thread to the MPOA forum since you've not received any replies over on K-8. Hopefully more MPOA moms will now see this thread and share their thoughts! For what it's worth, I would choose MPOA for the Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con class. Those are challenging levels, especially when attempting to do both in one year!

HTH!
    Michael
    Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Good afternoon,

I've moved your thread to the MPOA forum since you've not received any replies over on K-8. Hopefully more MPOA moms will now see this thread and share their thoughts! For what it's worth, I would choose MPOA for the Chreia/Maxim & Ref/Con class. Those are challenging levels, especially when attempting to do both in one year!

HTH!
      Thank you!

Comment

Hello MG!

I cannot speak specifically to the C/M class, however I can lend a bit of encouragement. I too found myself not being able to be consistent enough with their composition, both through my own lack of discipline and just feeling that they needed an “expert” in this area with the Progymnasmata. I struggled. We put our oldest son in the High School Composition II class last year. I was a bit worried about how he would do given the lack of thoroughness he had in the previous levels. His experience last year was amazing! What I thought was a weakness became a strength and he did extremely well and enjoyed it very much. The discussion and practice during the class where he could get feedback and ask questions was super helpful. Feedback on papers was key as well. I was also very pleased to see the quality of his writing translate to other areas of his studies that required different structural components to the writing. We are very thankful that we used MPOA for composition. Best wishes with your decision—-

Grace and peace,

Ally

Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
        Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
        Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Comment

My oldest did both. CSI is a great course, but if I could only choose one it would be comp. Comp is the first course I outsource for all of my kids. I have never used the MP videos for CSI, but for my own preparation I used the Great Courses Vandiver lectures.
          DD 10th
          DS 6th
          DD 5th

Comment

Thank you all for the input and encouragement, so much needed! Due to the so many challenges I personally faced this past school year, I was very close to not continue with a classical education for my kids. I decided to make a few more sacrifices and give it one more try this year using the online academy. We did not finish latin, composition, among other subjects last year, but I'm just planning to start where we left off and review (mostly orally) while doing 7A materials. I know it will be challenging, but I'm committed this year! I just need to be more disciplined. I will forever be so grateful for the wonderful staff at MP and you all wonderful ladies (and men) of this forum.

Blessings,
            MG

Comment

I cannot remember the last time my children finished everything by the end of May, but we still break in June & July so they can spend time with friends. S
              ummer gives me time to think about which things are the most important to finish. We pick up in August with those things and try to get as much done as we can before the new year starts after Labor Day.
              Composition was my biggest fail. I found it very hard to get them to finish the papers on a regular basis, and then when they did finish I had no idea how to evaluate them. Therefore, they all take comp with MPOA.
              There are no current discounts that I know of. There is an earlybird discount, but that expired in March. MPOA does offer a payment plan, but I believe you have to take more than one course to do it.There is information on the FAQ page.
              There are many amazing ladies on here who have it together and seem to school in perfect bliss, but fear not - there are many of doing it imperfectly, and that's okay.
              Last edited by jenniferjb; 07-14-2019, 09:24 AM.
              DD 10th
              DS 6th
              DD 5th

Comment

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
                I cannot remember the last time my children finished everything by the end of May, but we still break in June & July so they can spend time with friends. S
                ummer gives me time to think about which things are the most important to finish. We pick up in August with those things and try to get as much done as we can before the new year starts after Labor Day.

Composition was my biggest fail. I found it very hard to get them to finish the papers on a regular basis, and then when they did finish I had no idea how to evaluate them. Therefore, they all take comp with MPOA.

One thing to note - the combined Chreia/Ref/Con class will have a paper due every week, whereas the Chreia or Ref/Con only courses will have a paper due every other week. I find the paper every other week to be a much better pace for my family. Even though you may feel behind, I would still consider Chreia in 7th and Ref/Con in 8th. You will make up for lost time in 9th grade with HS Comp II and in 10th grade with HS Comp III.

There are no current discounts that I know of. There is an earlybird discount, but that expired in March. MPOA does offer a payment plan, but I believe you have to take more than one course to do it.There is information on the FAQ page.

There are many amazing ladies on here who have it together and seem to school in perfect bliss, but fear not - there are many of doing it imperfectly, and that's okay.
                My son took the combined Chreia/RefCon class (the one formerly called middle school comp 2) this past year and it was a paper every other week pace. I think it is the high school classes that have a paper every week. High school comp 1 starts at the beginning with no experience with fable expected and moves through ref/con in one year. The middle school class assumes the student has covered fable and narrative to some extent, reviews those levels and teaches chreia and ref/con from the beginning. Both feed into high school comp 2. My son is not taking it this year because he isn’t ready for the pace just yet.
                Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
                DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
                DS 10 - 5M
                DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post

My son took the combined Chreia/RefCon class (the one formerly called middle school comp 2) this past year and it was a paper every other week pace. I think it is the high school classes that have a paper every week. High school comp 1 starts at the beginning with no experience with fable expected and moves through ref/con in one year. The middle school class assumes the student has covered fable and narrative to some extent, reviews those levels and teaches chreia and ref/con from the beginning. Both feed into high school comp 2. My son is not taking it this year because he isn’t ready for the pace just yet.

Mea Culpa. I specifically stayed away from the Fable/Narrative combined course because when I asked, I was told it was a paper a week. Good to know, and my apologies for the misinformation.
                  DD 10th
                  DS 6th
                  DD 5th

Comment

Working...
                  X