Labs in MPOA Science classes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Labs in MPOA Science classes

I'm thinking forward to high school science for my oldest and I'm wondering how labs look in the online classes. Are these virtual? Would I have to order specialty lab stuff? How high is parent involvement in making the labs happen, etc?

Hi Julia,

Thanks so much for messaging us. Glad to help! For our labs it is usually a combination. For Biology though, it is almost exclusively hands-on labs. You will need to order some material but we try to keep the costs low. The instructors are currently reviewing experiments for next year.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
    (877) 745-8866

Comment

Scott,

Are you sure you typed this correctly? We just finished Biology and I would have said it was more virtual labs. Just wondering if you meant a different class.
      Dorinda

For 2019-2020
      DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
      DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
      DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
      DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Hi Dorinda,

I should have added 'as of this year'. Mrs. Peterson and Mrs. Lovell have switched everything away from the virtual labs because Froguts is being discontinued and has trouble running on Mac OS.

Thanks!

Scott Piland
        Director
        (877) 745-8866

Comment

Are my younger kids going to have to dissect stuff in my kitchen if they take the class?
          Dorinda

For 2019-2020
          DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
          DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
            Are my younger kids going to have to dissect stuff in my kitchen if they take the class?
            Maybe you can bring them down to Sodalitas in a few years and they can dissect with my boys. They adore that stuff. Rachel and Maeve, not so much.
            Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
            DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
            DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
            DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
            DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
            DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
              Have you seen this?

https://www.collegeprepscience.com/two-day-labs
              Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
              DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
              DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
              DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Hi Dorinda,

Thanks for the message. Yes, the students will do the labs at home. Here is the dissection list.

Scott Piland
                Director
                (877) 745-8866

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
                  Yes, my daughter did the biology and chemistry intensives last fall (as a freshman). She is not destined for the medical field. There was one girl in her group that took the specimens home at the end of biology and then brought them back to the chemistry intensive for show and tell. She knew it really bothered my daughter and kept shoving them in her face. They dissected a fetal pig and a sheep’s uterus with babies - that was what the girl brought back to show. I think there would be things like occupational therapy or audiology that she would be very good at, but she really never wants to dissect anything ever again. She is actually at science camp this week and selected the microbiology track, so it isn’t the biology bit that is the problem.
                  Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Originally posted by spiland View Post
                    Hi Dorinda,

Thanks for the message. Yes, the students will do the labs at home. Here is the dissection list.

Scott Piland
                    Director
                    (877) 745-8866
                    Scott,

She will be SO relieved to know that she got the class over with this year just in time to miss the dissections - see previous post for reasons. She liked the virtual labs because she really disliked the smell of formaldehyde.
                    Dorinda

For 2019-2020

Comment

Working...
                    X