Learning to write - MPOA edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dayna View Post
    We take very seriously the concerns here that the application of Classical Composition in other modes of writing is not clear, and are considering adding a lesson in the appendix of each stage or something similar to help make those connections more explicit. We do appreciate your feedback, and our sincere hope is that every student will be able to get the full benefits of this wonderful program.

Dayna

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, dayna. I had no doubt that our concerns were being taken seriously — it's part of the fabric of MP — but your post shows how much MP truly values each student (and teacher!). tanya, Michael and the whole MP crew: thank you for your tireless efforts. We love you guys and I can't wait to see you next week!
    Jennifer
    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
    As above, plus:
    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post

Thank you so much for sharing this with us, dayna. I had no doubt that our concerns were being taken seriously — it's part of the fabric of MP — but your post shows how much MP truly values each student (and teacher!). tanya, Michael and the whole MP crew: thank you for your tireless efforts. We love you guys and I can't wait to see you next week!
      Agreed. I think the effort of going beyond taking care of HLS and adapting things for homeschoolers is truly amazing, and something I'm sure we're all deeply grateful for! Since we all share the 30,000 ft-picture that Dayna painted, I'm not sure where we'd be without MP working to make that vision a reality.

Comment

I really appreciate the responses from dayna and jen1134. I still feel like we are looking at two different products with two different purposes.

Going back to that toolbox analogy (because I literally just re-built my laundry room shelves) and building a shelf, here's is what I'm thinking I'm seeing.

IEW will provide the frame up. It's the bones. It gives you the structure, tells you how much you need, and if a person stopped here, they would end up with a finished project....However, mastering IEW is only half of the picture.

CC will route the curves, ensure everything is "square", and generally make it look like the work was done by a professional and not your teenage nephew as a quick summer project.

Looking ahead, there are things I love in each of the CC programs every year. I also love what I see with IEW. I may come to regret this, but I think I'll try doing both. I will probably start with IEW, because it does appear to start at a more basic level. I need that for my son who, if you asked him to provide 3 sentences that describes what he just read, would simply provide 3 EXACT sentences word for word. That's my individual case though.
        Melissa

DS (MP2) - 8
        DS (MP1) - 7
        DS (K) - 5
        DD (Adorable distraction) 2

Comment

Originally posted by MBentley View Post
          I may come to regret this, but I think I'll try doing both. I will probably start with IEW, because it does appear to start at a more basic level. I need that for my son who, if you asked him to provide 3 sentences that describes what he just read, would simply provide 3 EXACT sentences word for word. That's my individual case though.
          In fact, it looks like a lot of people are combining elements from different curricula, which is the (to me) surprising thing I've learned thanks to this discussion...

Comment

I am super late to this, but when my son took Middle School Literature I through MPOA, he was expected to write essays. The teacher was pretty explicit that they needed an introduction with a thesis, middle paragraphs, and a clear conclusion paragraph. Basically, a five-paragraph essay without saying a five-paragraph essay. I think his ended up being 7 or 8, but in essence, the five-paragraph essay was the template. I don't know if other MPOA literature classes do this. Personally, I have no problem with the five-paragraph essay--it's not form, but how well something is written. I just find it incongruous when MP seems against it, even as a developmental mode of writing, yet their teachers use it (if our experience was not unique).

Comment

Originally posted by dayna View Post

...considering adding a lesson in the appendix of each stage or something similar to help make those connections more explicit.
              Is there a time frame when this may happen? . We've been having the same issues addressed in this thread.

Jen, would it be possible for you to post the additional resources you're using with CC? thanks!
              Last edited by MG_; 08-05-2019, 10:54 AM.
              ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post

Is there a time frame when this may happen?
                We do not currently have a projected release date for this, but it is possible it will be ready for the 2020-2021 school year. In the meantime, we are collecting the resources suggested in this thread to vet them as products we might carry or as resources we would at least be able to suggest as supplements for people who are struggling with this. So if you guys have other recommendations, please let us know!

Comment

Thank you Dayna! We'll keep an eye for the resource.

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post

Jen, would it be possible for you to post the additional resources you're using with CC? thanks!
                    MG_ They're homemade, but my boys found them helpful. They tweaked the Essay Guide as they used it (they didn't do the mind map after the first paper), but it helped them see/understand the mental steps better. The Architectural Essay guide is a model I gave them when they were assigned a comparison between one of the cathedrals we had learned about and a local church of their choice. I also highly recommend the Rhetoric Essay Template that Tanya posted in this thread (7th post down). HTH!
                    Attached Files
                    Jennifer
                    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

2019-2020 Plans:

DS16
                    MP10 Lit, MP-Holt Biology, Light to the Nations II, Spanish
                    MPOA: Algebra I, High School Comp II

DS15
                    As above, plus:
                    MP Greek Tragedies; no Spanish
                    MPOA: Fourth Form Latin

DS12: 7M subbing Sea to Shining Sea for American history

DS11: Simply Classical Level 4

DD9: 3A, with First Form Latin (long story!)

DD7/8: Simply Classical Level 3

DD 4/5: Simply Classical Level C (NT using SC for two-year PreK due to January birthday)

Comment

Jennifer,
                      That's very kind of you. Thank you SO very much for the resources and link.

Comment

Working...
                      X