Latin teacher and Novare Accelerated Physics and Chemistry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin teacher and Novare Accelerated Physics and Chemistry

I have a son who will be in 9th grade next year, and we are signing him up for First Form Latin. He has not had any previous exposure to Latin. Does anyone have any experience with any of the first form teachers. Our options are Patrick Timmis, Joel Reed, Shawn Wilhite, or Kevin Dray.

Also, we are taking the Novare Accelerated Physics and Chemistry next year. I was hoping to take that though MPOA, but they are not offering it this year. Looks like one if ther only places i can find it as an online class is Wilson Hill Academy. Does anyone have any experience with them? The additional $250 sign up fee at WHA. makes it pricey for one course, but I'm considering it.
    Thank you so much for any info.

My children have never had Dr. Dray for Latin, but they have all loved him for history and composition courses. I am not familiar with the others, but every male teacher we have had at MPOA so far has been wonderful. Are you set on the Forms? Have you considered Henle I? It is a high school level intro Latin class. If he opted for Henle he could complete the Latin grammar in two years versus four with the Forms. Just an option to consider.

I had planned to register my oldest for ASPC at Wilson Hill last year, but after they added the $250 fee I decided against it. It was too pricey for someone taking a single class, and the fee covered things I felt were unnecessary. Not only that, WH told me if we didn’t enroll the next year, we had to pay the $250 again if she wanted to take another class the following year.

My other reason for choosing not to do ASPC was that I was told it would count as a physical science credit and she did physical science in 8th grade. I ended up opting for the traditional sequence with biology in 9th. Not sure what I will do with my son with the release of Novare Biology. I love the thought of a more concise text. I do wish MP offered courses for the advanced books.

Comment

Jenniferjb,

Thank you so much for your response. We ended up signing up with Joel Reed for the First Form because that is what worked with our schedule after registering for the ASPC with Wilson Hill. As for the Forms, I am not set on them at all. In fact, I have so little exposure to Latin that I just signed him up with what I thought would be the initial class for a freshman with no Latin experience. Do you think Henle I might be a better option? He is going to have a pretty full schedule with the ASPC at WHA, Honors Geometry, Latin, a high school composition class through Writeathome.com, tennis practice, martial arts, and church youth activities. It makes me tired thinking about it.

I really hesitated on WHA, but I really wanted that ASPC class because I love the Novare texts and program, and I liked the qualifications of the instructors for that class. I didn't know that if we skipped a year with WHA we would be required to pay that $250 again

I agree. I don't like the fact that it would count as a physical science class, as from what I read it is quite a bit more rigorous than the middle school physical science and is a great lead in to the Novare Advanced chemistry which we intend to take next year (10th grade). I had read somewhere that while physical science will not count for a high school science credit, a course like ASPC would be better labeled Integrated Physics and Chemistry and would count as a high school credit. I would love to hear from anyone else who may have gone this route (ASPC, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Biology, Physics) with Novare texts. Yes, I really wish MPOA would offer these advanced Novare courses. Maybe there is not enough demand?

Again, thank you so much for your response. I will have to look into Henle I as an option. Maybe I should see about switching from First Form. Have you had any experience with geometry at MPOA? We are signed up with Sharon Grant for next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Auburngrad View Post
        As for the Forms, I am not set on them at all. In fact, I have so little exposure to Latin that I just signed him up with what I thought would be the initial class for a freshman with no Latin experience. Do you think Henle I might be a better option? He is going to have a pretty full schedule with the ASPC at WHA, Honors Geometry, Latin, a high school composition class through Writeathome.com, tennis practice, martial arts, and church youth activities. It makes me tired thinking about it.
        Good evening,

I'm not Jennifer, and I hope she doesn't mind if I chime in on your question. Both First Form Latin and Henle I (Units I-V) are appropriate classes for a 9th grade student who has never studied Latin. Henle is the more challenging class, will move into translation more quickly, and completes the grammar in two years, leaving two for more for translation courses and even AP Latin. The Latin Forms Series will spread the grammar over four years, and so a 9th grade student will not reach a formal translation course but will still receive all the many benefits of Latin. Since you mentioned that your son has such a full schedule, you may wish to stick with First Form Latin. However, if he is hoping to eventually take AP Latin, Henle I would be the better option for him.

HTH!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Henle does move at a much quicker pace, so it would certainly be more difficult with an already full schedule. It all depends on where you want to end up. As Michael said, if you want a translation class or AP Latin, Henle may be the way to go. If not, the Forms are great.

Regarding ASPC, the only person on this board I've seen who actually has tried to implement this was bean . Maybe Jen (formerly) in Japan or Mom2mthj or momgineer could help out here with science recommendations. I too would love to make this sequence work, and WH is probably the best option.

I have no experience with math classes at MPOA - sorry. Hopefully someone else will.

Comment

Since I was tagged- Novare is new enough I didn’t know about it with my big kids. Two of mine used Kolbe Academy’s Prentice Hall Physical science in 7th (it is a 9th grade book) and then did honors biology in 8th and had time junior and senior year for research based or college classes. The Prentice Hall Book is not as advanced as Novare ASPC. My current 9th grader is doing Introductory Physics (she is not as advanced of a student as my olders) and I love it for her in 9th, but it really is made for non sciencey students who won’t take trig based physics. I intend to use ASPC in 8th grade for my current 6th grader who is finishing pre-algebra this year. ASPC looks to be basically IP with a couple chemistry chapters added. I intend for him to take biology in 8th, advanced chem in 10 and trig based physics (using Novare) in 11th and General Chemistry at community college in 12th. Since I am an engineer and these are my younger kids (I will only have a 10th, 7th and K student next year), I have both time and desire to teach science myself so I have not looked into online classes.
            i will say, depending on your past science exposure, given that your student will be 9th grade, you do have the option to skip ASPC if you feel certain he will do trig based physics in high School. It just depends on where he is in math and how far you want to get in science before graduation.
            Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
            DD, 23, graphic design and illustration major
            DS, 21, mechanical engineering major
            DS, 19, Dual chemistry and Philosophy major, considering Catholic seminary
            DS, 16, Kolbe 11th grade
            DD, 13, dyslexic, MP 8M
            DS, 10, super squirmy, possible dysgraphia, MP 5A
            DD, 4 (in Aug 2017), cutest little interrupter of school ever, some MP Jr K if we fit it in.

Comment

Sorry, I just noticed I was tagged. What math has your son completed? If only Algebra 1, I would hesitate.

We did it along side geometry after Foerster Algebra 1 with previous physical science course and it was more difficult than necessary. If you like the chemistry book, you can do it after the Introductory Physics book. They offer a stand alone guide to the chem covered in the ASPC. The chem covered in ASPC pretty basic.

That said, the book was substantially overhauled after I purchased the first edition. I suspect the problems we encountered are addressed in the second edition. We didn't try any of the following titles because my formerly science-loving kiddo was pretty negative about science for a while after that year. She also really likes to see a traditional format in her science textbooks where it breaks out formulas and such. Novare is very narrative.

I did find them to be very easy to work with when emailing back and forth with questions and when I needed to replace a book that was damaged when I received it.
              Last edited by bean; 05-08-2019, 10:37 AM. Reason: Added more information.
              Bean

DD- 9M with subs

Comment

Working...
              X