AP US History with MPOA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AP US History with MPOA

Can any one share any feedback on how this has gone for your student? Also, I'm curious as to why MP chooses The American Pageant instead of The Concise History of the US. Is it that much more rigorous of a text, and geared toward AP prep?

Thanks!
    Susan P in VA

I am interested in feedback as well. I think American Pagent is written with the AP exam in mind. I have seen it used by other APUSH courses.
    Dorinda

For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Hey Susan and Dorinda,

Thanks for the question - glad to help. Hope you both are doing well. Here goes: First, it is updated and very readable. It doesn't always work out like this but whenever we can it is always better. American Pageant covers all the requisite history, but in a way that reads more like a novel, and fits our students well. Whenever we can we try to find books that meet our literary standards, yet American Pageant also allows us to pointedly cover the history in the online class without students feeling like they're simply getting an audio-visual version of their reading assignment.

The text also has imbedded primary sources and analysis activities throughout the text that the AP US teachers have found helpful. It also covers all of the time periods up to the present, which is a major shortcoming of the Concise History book for AP students, as it only goes up through 1983. This is a real problem for our students who desire to take the AP U.S. History exam, because we had to fill in major gaps from President Reagan up through the war on terror and President Obama with no text (there were specific questions on the exam about these periods).

Since we've switched there has been more continuity in this class and both teachers and students are very happy with it.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy
      onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
      (877) 745-8866

Comment

Most excellent! Thank you for this. Makes me want this even more for my son.

Susan

Comment

I was just about to get this text for our daughter who starts at MPOA this fall and noticed there’s a 17th edition out now. What would you recommend...the class listing page mentions the 15th vs. 16th editions but is the 17th worth it for updated recent content?

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by justnick View Post
            I was just about to get this text for our daughter who starts at MPOA this fall and noticed there’s a 17th edition out now. What would you recommend...the class listing page mentions the 15th vs. 16th editions but is the 17th worth it for updated recent content?

Thanks,

Nick
            Good afternoon Nick,

I just spoke with the MPOA director, and he says there is no need to update to the 17th edition for this fall. MPOA will be continuing with the 16th edition, though if all you can find is a 17th edition, it should still work for the class.

HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

Comment

Hi there. Sorry to have to revisit this topic now, months later, as the class is about to start! LOL. My son is now reading several sections of his (used) 15th Edition of The American Pageant, not just what he needs to read ahead of the first class. I know many have a favorable view of this text, but the treatments (in the later chapters) of some of the most recent 'history' are questionable for our family. I won't share an example, so as not to ignite anything here, but there's complete bias.

Educate me, please. Is this to be found in just about any APUSH text? We just need to deal with it? I need to gear myself up for a lot of conversations with my son (always a good thing!) This is what I studied in depth in college, so I'm quite passionate about our kids having an accurate, objective view of their nation's history.

Thanks,
              SusanP in VA

Comment

Susan,

my guess is that all the books are biased. Pennsylvania Homeschoolers use America: A Narrative History in a couple of their sections and say it is more balanced than some, but that isn’t a shining review by any stretch of the imagination. MPOA did a great job balancing a secular biology book (really the only choice) with other perspectives so I would imagine some of the same conversations you anticipate needing to have with your son will happen in class as well.
                Dorinda

For 2019-2020
                DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
                DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
                DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
                DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

Comment

Working...
                X