Feedback via PM on Latin teachers

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feedback via PM on Latin teachers

After going back and forth for quite some time about online classes (timing didn't sync up with our schedule, DD wasn't ready, etc.), it's finally time to make the transition. I've reached end game with several subjects regarding my confidence teaching them. I need to call in the professionals.

Would anyone like to PM me with their experience taking Latin with either Meredith Cutrer, Susan Strickland, and/or Susan Francino? I don't feel entirely comfortable initiating a public discussion on this as I realize we all bring different expectations and abilities to online classes, however, any feedback you'd like to send via PM would be much appreciated!

Thank you!
    DD 12 - MP6A

Sent you one!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Hi Ally,

If you want to chat about them on the phone I can give you some insight as well. Thanks!

Scott Piland
      Director
      Memoria Press Online Academy
      onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
      (877) 745-8866

Comment

That wasn’t me Mr. Piland :-). I pm’d you as well Hermione!
        Ally

Evan: 11th grade, MPOA
        Rachel: 10th grade, MPOA
        Katie: 9th grade, mix of MPOA & HOD

Homesteading in Utica, Ohio

Comment

I don't have a bad thing to say about any of them. My daughter wants to know which Latin class has a choice between these three. She said she couldn’t choose because she loves them all.

All three are highly qualified and run a great class. I wouldn’t hesitate to put my children in any of their classes.
          Last edited by jenniferjb; 02-09-2019, 09:03 AM.
          DD 10th
          DS 6th
          DD 5th

Comment

Jennifer--I shared the same! I like that they are all excellent teachers but different in their personalities and styles, making it easier to get a good fit for your specific child and academic circumstances. MPOA is God-send for us!
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
            D · 8th
            D · 5th
            S · 2nd

Comment

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! Your feedback has been really, really helpful to me.

Thank you as well Mr. Piland for continuing to provide such helpful, individual guidance. It's very comforting to know we're making this transition with an organization that offers such great customer support.
              Last edited by hermione310; 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM.
              DD 12 - MP6A

Comment

We are going to be new next year to MPOA. My seventh grader will start with First Form Latin but I am struggling where to start my 9th grader. She has never taken any of the Form classes and will have completed Henle I through unit 9 by the end of this year. I have been told two different things....start her in First Form Latin and move her up through the Form classes and someone else suggested starting her in the Henle class 6-15. Any thoughts for us as to the best route to take? I appreciate your help!

Thank you,
                Michele

Comment

My daughter is currently in Susan Strickland's Fourth Form Latin. We really love Mrs. Strickland and are sad that she doesn't teach above Fourth Form. One neat thing about her class (at least her Fourth Form, I'm not sure about her others) is that it's 2 days/week. It was slightly more (I want to say around $50), but it's been very nice to have class 2 days/week instead of just one! She has also done several extra translation days (others probably do this too). My daughter will take Susan Francino next year because we heard that they have similar teaching styles.

I just noticed that this post was from earlier in the month. Feel free to disregard if you've already made a decision :-) Mr. Piland is a peach and super patient! He helped us out so much last year when I was concerned about how my daughter would do because she has low vision. Really, I can't say enough about everyone with which we've interacted.
                  Cheryl, mom to:

ds 24, graduated
                  ds 23, graduated
                  dd 15, 9th Grade
                  dd 12, 6th Grade
                  ds 10, 4nd Grade

Comment

Michelle,
                    Placement is always a very particular conversation for older students who are already into some Latin study. What they're doing, how well they are doing in it, how many years they plan to take in all, their level of enthusiasm with the subject, all these and other considerations come into play. Perhaps a direct email to onlineacademy@memoriapress.com and/or a placement phone call would do the trick?
                    ​​​​​​​HTH!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryl in CA View Post
                      My daughter is currently in Susan Strickland's Fourth Form Latin. We really love Mrs. Strickland and are sad that she doesn't teach above Fourth Form. One neat thing about her class (at least her Fourth Form, I'm not sure about her others) is that it's 2 days/week. It was slightly more (I want to say around $50), but it's been very nice to have class 2 days/week instead of just one! She has also done several extra translation days (others probably do this too). My daughter will take Susan Francino next year because we heard that they have similar teaching styles.

I just noticed that this post was from earlier in the month. Feel free to disregard if you've already made a decision :-) Mr. Piland is a peach and super patient! He helped us out so much last year when I was concerned about how my daughter would do because she has low vision. Really, I can't say enough about everyone with which we've interacted.
                      I, too, love that MPOA has the option of two Latin classes per week for families that need/want it.
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                      D · 8th
                      D · 5th
                      S · 2nd

Comment

Originally posted by merla View Post
                        We are going to be new next year to MPOA. My seventh grader will start with First Form Latin but I am struggling where to start my 9th grader. She has never taken any of the Form classes and will have completed Henle I through unit 9 by the end of this year. I have been told two different things....start her in First Form Latin and move her up through the Form classes and someone else suggested starting her in the Henle class 6-15. Any thoughts for us as to the best route to take? I appreciate your help!

Thank you,
                        Michele
                        Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
                        Michelle,
                        Placement is always a very particular conversation for older students who are already into some Latin study. What they're doing, how well they are doing in it, how many years they plan to take in all, their level of enthusiasm with the subject, all these and other considerations come into play. Perhaps a direct email to onlineacademy@memoriapress.com and/or a placement phone call would do the trick?
                        HTH!
                        Good morning Michelle,

As Jessica wrote, there are a lot of individual factors that affect placement for an older student with prior Latin experience. You mentioned that your student will have completed through unit 9 of Henle I. Is she by chance in Classical Conversations right now? If so, Henle Units 6-14 is often the perfect blend of new and review for students transitioning out of CC between its 2nd and 3rd years of Henle I. At the same time, a student who has been struggling since the beginning of Henle I in CC might benefit from switching to the Forms Series, with the entry point depending on where Lain began to break down for the student. In other words, either suggestion you received could be the "best" decision for your student. That's where a call or an email can be so helpful. In the meantime, I hope the above has at least given you a general idea of how you might proceed.
                        Michael
                        Memoria Press

Comment

Thank you everyone for your feedback. I did exactly that and sent an email and one of the Latin instructors got back to me right away. We discussed my daughter and her experience and decided on The first Henle class. So helpful!

Thank you for your kindness!

Michele Erla

Comment

Perfect! Glad there was a good entry point for her.
                            Festina lentē,
                            Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                            S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                            D · 8th
                            D · 5th
                            S · 2nd

Comment

Working...
                            X