Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPOA Greek Myths, and question regarding high school credits for FFL

Hello!

My third grade son has thoroughly enjoyed taking Latina Christiana via MPOA this year, and we are planning to enroll him in FFL in the coming school year. I saw in the class description that the class is worth one high school credit. My first question, have any other parents sought to have their umbrella school award high school credits to their elementary school students?

My question regarding Greek Myths is whether or not the semester long course available through MPOA is a complete study, equal to that which is spread across two years when studying the content in the cores for 3rd and 4th grade (moderated pace). We are considering pausing in our study of Greek Myths so that I may delegate the remainder of the content to be taught next year in the online course, but I don't want to leave any gaps. Can anyone speak to their experience with Greek Myths online, as well as to the pacing if it is indeed the full course taken in a single semester?

Thank you in advance!
    Lauren

Hi Lauren,

Thanks for the email. We would never recommend someone as young as your student receive a high school credit. No university or college would ever accept this, without exception. There is a calculation for awarding a high school credit that includes (1) time spent, (2) content, (3) difficulty, and age is part of this as well very often. Within the homeschool community, folks are divided on whether or not to award a high school credit for First Form, say for an 8th or 9th grader, for various reasons. But there is no division on awarding a high school credit for someone as young as 4th grade. It is never recommended.
    We would 100% never recommend awarding a high school credit for a student this young. I hope this helps! Have a great day

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
    (877) 745-8866

Comment

Hi Lauren,

Also, re Greek Myths. This is 100% a complete study and doesn't skip anything, it just moves more quickly.

Hope this helps!

Scott Piland
      Director
      (877) 745-8866

Comment

Thank you for you answers to both questions. My question regarding the high school credit was a curiosity as to whether it had been done, not a plan to award credit to my fourth grader, so thank you for clearing it up and satisfying my curiosity! Thanks also for the info on Greek Myths, we are so grateful to count it among our resources for next school year.

Blessings,
        Lauren

Comment

Hi Lauren,

You bet! Hope that was helpful I'm holding a kind of "Live Tour" today at 3pm Eastern if you'd like at attend. There are other times/days for this as well but I thought I'd mention it to you. Here is the information:

http://bit.ly/mpoalivetour

Thanks and have a great day!

Scott Piland
          Director
          (877) 745-8866

Comment

Working...
          X