LC1 parent involvement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LC1 parent involvement

So, as previously mentioned on the forum, we're Latin drop outs. We made steady progress for the first 5-6 weeks in Prima and then...well, we stopped.

I think my rising 3rd grader would enjoy the challenge of 3A, but LC1 scares me, given our flaky drop out history.

So, what kind of parental involvement is required for online LC1? I wouldnt consider her a self-motivated student.; she needs a sharp stick to prod her along on most days. But, she's a bright student.

I also will have a SC 5/6 student. I'm not sure whether he could keep pace. I think a 2year pace would be better for him, but then I'll have 2 kids in the same class at different places...and well...that just has drop-out disaster written all over it.

Suggestions? What are the outside of class time requirements? What am I supposed to supervise and get completed the rest of the week?
    Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
    DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
    DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

When my son took LC with MPOA, the most upkeep I had was making quizlets for him to study. It was the first year of the new version of LC, so I had to make new quizlets. I also had to make them in a way that he could use the test and game functions and to study the derivatives, so that meant make 2-3 sets for each lesson. Other than that, I left him to his own. He was 10 yrs old. I also made a three prong folder with drill sheets in it for him to write Latin drills 2-3 times a week. Those sheets can be copied out of the Teacher Manual.
    Last edited by happyhappyjoyjoy; 01-29-2019, 05:37 PM.
    Christina

9th grader MPOA/state virtual school, 6th in private school, 4th hodgepodge homeschool (only girl), and a 4 year old pediatric cancer patient.

Comment

My 10 yo is taking MPOA LC in 5th grade. It is her first online class experience and first experience with Latin. I have been involved. Initially I made sure all her technical needs were met and that she was able to get logged in and have her mic set up, etc. but she took that over after a few weeks. I include Latin in our morning review and recitation work. The day of the class I preview the lesson very quickly with her to prepare her for class. We review the flashcards nearly daily. I would also write the suggested workbook page assignments in her planner everyday and remind her about her weekly quiz and make sure it gets done. I do not usually check her workbook pages. I should and I plan to but I am just being honest that I drop the ball there where I would like to do better.

So, I am involved but it is about 10-15 minutes a day. I think it is the consistent daily work that makes the difference. I don't feel like I am teaching it but more like her partner or cheerleader in getting it all done. This class has not been burdensome to us at all and she has learned so much. I am so glad we gave it a try. I would totally recommend the class but I would not expect a 3rd grader (who you describe as not self motivated) to thrive on her own. I think you will need to be ready to assist and support her if you want her to really get the most out of it. You don't need to teach it but to be ready to run flashcards or set her up with Quizlet, etc. My daughter is in 5th grade and a pretty eager student but she has needed that daily 10-15 minutes of Latin review with me to master the vocabulary. Maybe I baby her too much (she is my baby and gets the bulk of my attention) but I am very pleased with the results of this approach.

I definitely am not teaching. I have not kept up and my dd knows much more Latin than I do but I do keep her on pace and help her practice. It is also fun to be involved because we see Latin everywhere now and that is a fun thing to point out to each other when we encounter derivatives, sayings, etc.

Comment

I can totally do flashcards. We've had our best year yet with keeping on task with recitation for everybody this year. So, I definitely understand the daily review idea. And I can assign workbook pages and assure they get completed.

Do they do the quiz online or is it a home thing and I submit a grade?
        Married to DH for 13 years. Living the rural life in the Colorado mountains

DS10- Simply Classical 4 / Grade 3 Classic Core,
        DD8- Grade 2 Classic Core,
        DD 6- Classic Core Kindergarten

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
          Do they do the quiz online or is it a home thing and I submit a grade?
          All quizzes and tests will be given online and are graded either automatically or by the teacher depending on the type of assessment.
          Michael
          Memoria Press

Comment

There is a weekly online quiz. It does not take very long. You get two attempts and the grades are averaged but we haven't needed to use the second attempt very often so it is a quick wrap up at the end of the weekly lesson - the payoff for all that daily review

Comment

Working...
            X