Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Classical Comp. Placement for next year (MPOA)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mamamoose
    replied
    That’s what I thought, and that reaffirms my thoughts on entering my son in Fable.

Leave a comment:

• spiland
    replied
    Hi Erin,

It covers one lesson per week. The first week of each book is an intro to the stage. They save a couple of lessons for the next year's Chreia/Maxim class, since they review one Fable and one Narrative.

Hope this helps!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
    (877) 745-8866

Leave a comment:

• Mamamoose
    replied
    Scott, does the Fable Plus Narrative class do half of each book or a lesson each week?

Leave a comment:

• ClassicalFamily
    replied
    Thanks to you both! This is very helpful!

Leave a comment:

• spiland
    replied
    Hi Michaela,

Thanks for the post! I would probably tackle it like this, assuming you want to complete the entire progym:

6th: Fable/Narrative
    7th: Chreia/Maxim
    8th: Refutation Confirmation
    9th: Common Topic
    10th: Encomium/Invective/Comparison
    11th: High School Composition III (Characterization/Description/Thesis/Law)

This will allow you to compress Fable/Narrative, by far the easiest two stages of the first seven stages to compress. If you opt to do the Fable/Narrative class there wouldn't be much need to revisit it over the summer, other than if you wish to work on memorizing the figures of description.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
    Director
    Memoria Press Online Academy
    onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
    (877) 745-8866

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    Either of those choices would be just fine. Both classes will seem easy to a sixth grader and that's completely OK. Composition doesn't have to be painful to be helpful. The goal in either class should be a growing maturity in writing as the year progresses. If you think she's likely to get bored with one level all year, then the Fable/Narrative might be a good option with the switch coming mid-year. That class will be middle and young high school students who are late in coming to the program and are working at an accelerated pace. Do you think that would be a good fit for her? The longer we do it the more I see that Classical Composition is a writing program, but really it's a thinking program. No matter the level, it takes time to learn to think and clearly express yourself.

Leave a comment:

• Classical Comp. Placement for next year (MPOA)

I saw another post about CC placement for a 6th grader, but coming from the different background, I didn't want to confuse advice between the two situations so I started a new thread.

My daughter has used MP since 3rd grade with the 3A core. We completed about 1/3 of Fable in her 4th grade year. Teaching it just didn't click with me, so we switched to Well-Trained Mind Writing with Skill Book 1 for 5th grade. I think it is comparable in some ways to Narrative, though not truly and completely that stage of the Progymnasmata. For 6th grade, I plan to enroll her in MPOA for Classical Composition. I'm trying to decide whether to put her in Narrative or the Fable/Narrative combo. I wouldn't mind revisiting Fable over the summer to prepare for Narrative if allowing a full year for Narrative would be a better fit for her age (she will be 11) than the combo class.

Any advice? Thanks!!
Working...
X