Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, Latin! What class should my children take next year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, Latin! What class should my children take next year?

I have two children who are taking First Form Latin through MPOA this year. My son (10th grade) and my daughter (8th grade) had minimum exposure to Latin a couple of years ago when we attempted FFL at home. For various reasons we dropped the Latin ball and it didn't get picked up again until this year when I enrolled them with MPOA. Anyway, they are doing well and will continue taking Latin online. However, I'm not sure where to place my children next year. My son is doing very well and grasping the the material in FFL easily. I had originally thought that he would just move onto SFL along with his sister, but then he would only get through Third Form before he graduates. So, then I think I should move him to Henle and he can work through that his junior and senior year, BUT I really like that the younger sister is in the same Latin class. It helps that they can talk and drill and do everything Latin together. I could move my daughter up to Henle, but she isn't doing as well as my son and Henle might be too much? I have no Latin experience myself and am not sure what direction to go.

1. Son take Henle 1 for his junior and senior year. Daughter continues with Forms?
    2. Son takes Henle 1 and daughter also takes Henle 1?
    3. Son and daughter continue with Forms together?

Thoughts and advice appreciated!
    Peace and all good,
    Tricia

2018/2019
    DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
    DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
    DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
    ~ Saint. Padre Pio

What are the interest/buy-in levels from your kids with Latin? Also, will you continue to have academic bandwidth for Latin next year as both will be in high school with more work load? If your son wants to dig in, then Henle would be very rewarding. I would recommend your daughter stick with the forms no matter what. There will be enough overlap that he can still help her drill, etc. if that is fruitful. It will be good review for him. Just one path to consider!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
    Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
    DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
    www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

One thing to consider is that Henle units 1-5 covers the material roughly in 1st and 2nd forms. Part will be review and part will be new. My son did FFL and a bit of 2nd Form Latin before trying Henle 1-5 on his own last year. This year he came back to 3rd form because a local group presented itself. Henle units 6-? Is roughly going to cover the content of 3rd and 4th form in one year. A reasonably motivated senior could do it (the whole book was a freshman level high school textbook). My son liked the book, but you need to be careful to do all the drill. Sticking with the forms will give more practice and solid foundation than Henle in all likelihood, but he won’t ever get the experience of much translation. There really isn’t a right answer, but I might be tempted to do Henle 1 with your son. (If he is highly motivated I think he could take the second form Latin intensive over the summer and take either third and fourth form before graduating or possibly henle units 6-? and Henle 2 before graduation.)

I agree that your daughter should stick with the forms. It really is the best if you have the time.
      Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
      DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
      DS 10 - 5M
      DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

Hi Tricia,

Thank you very much for the message. Glad to try and help. Lots of good suggestions above from Jessica and Dorinda. As they mentioned, some of this might depend on your son's motivation. If he is so inclined, you could have him study these lessons from Henle Latin First Year Text and then join the Henle Latin I Units 6-14 class with MPOA next year:

Lessons 6
        Lessons 11.3-4
        Lesson 21

With your daughter, I would 100% recommend continuing the Forms. There is a chance we might offer a Second Form Latin class (full class) over the Summer, but I have not confirmed that yet. In that case, both students could take it and continue on together and your older student would progress through Fourth Form Latin.

I hope this helps! Please feel free to give me a call if you'd like to chat more about this

Scott Piland
        Director
        Memoria Press Online Academy
        onlineacademy@memoriapress.com
        (877) 745-8866

Comment

Thanks everyone for the input. After reading the comments and discussing with my children, my daughter will stay her current course. I will give a call to chat about my son a bit more. He is interested in the different options that might allow him to move ahead without repeating material he already knows.
          Peace and all good,
          Tricia

2018/2019
          DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
          ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Comment

Tricia,
            Wonderful! Please report back after he makes a decision. I love seeing how these things with out in individual families .
            Festina lentē,
            Jessica P

2018-2019 · 7th MP Year, 9th Homeschooling
            Interweaving home, cottage school, & MPOA
            DS · MPOA Henle 2, 9A -- DD · 7A -- DD · 4A -- DS · 1st

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School
            www.nashvillelatinschool.com

Comment

Ooh, I'm sitting on my hands and eagerly awaiting the finalized MPOA schedule! After talking with Scott Piland and discussing with my son...he wants to go full Latin throttle. He wants to take a full SFL (if offered, please say yes, or else I'm back to the drawing board with him) during the summer, study the Lessons needed from Henle I that he needs on his own from Units 1-5, and then enroll in Henle Latin 1 Units 6-14 for the 2019/20 year. Unbeknownst to me until now, he has been having some fun with translating (I'm sure poorly) everyday conversation into Latin with a friend of his who is taking a Henle Latin course. I guess this has come in handy during the boys' game night where they team up and stomp out the competition in their strategy games because they use Latin and no one knows what they are saying.
              Anyway, I think he's motivated.
              Peace and all good,
              Tricia

2018/2019
              DD, 07, MP1/MP2

~ Saint. Padre Pio

Comment

Working...
              X