Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference between Literature at home vs. MPOA

Hello,
    I have enrolled my 4th grader in CC Fable and 5th grader in CC Narrative for this next school year. These will be our first online classes. Considering literature as well. We did the 4th and 5th grade sets at home last year, so I would be enrolling my 4th grader in the 5th grade online and my 5th grader in the 6th grade lit, if that makes sense. I'm just wondering what the differences are between working through the literature guides at home versus taking the MPOA class. Do the teachers even use the lit guides? I know the class meets once weekly for 90 minutes. Other than the reading itself, what types of outside assignments are there? Do parents here think the MPOA lit was more beneficial than doing it on your own?
    Thanks!
    Nicole
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    2020/2021 - 5th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS - 8th, 14 yo
    DS - 8th, 13 yo

Re: Difference between Literature at home vs. MPOA

I don't have experience with the 6th grade lit class, but my son did the Middle School I literature class this past year. Outside assignments included reading the assigned chapters of the book (with an occasional extra article, poem, etc) and completing all of the student guide workbook pages. This was per chapter, and sometimes multiple chapters were assigned in a week, so multiple sets of workbook pages. The vocabulary words in particular had to be studied and mastered, because they were prominent on the tests. There was an online quiz or test nearly every week, which took 10-30 minutes to complete, a little longer if it was a midterm or final. He had four enrichment projects (one per book), which were completed over several weeks. Lastly, there were written essay tests for the last three books. He easily spent 5-7 hours per week on the class, sometimes up to 10 in the week or two before the essays were due.
    BedeFamily
    Last edited by BedeFamily; 07-16-2018, 05:02 PM.

Comment

I forgot to speak to your latter question! My student got much more out of the class than what we would have gotten at home because of the class discussion aspect, but if I could do again, I would have waited until he was more fluent in essay writing.

Comment

Thanks. That is helpful. It sounds like the real difference come with the discussion, essays and enrichment. I have to admit that when we do the lit guides at home we sometimes skip the enrichment activities. I’ve also thought that by homeschooling we are missing out on some memorization and recitation. We do recitation if facts and memory work daily, but have a difficult time with poetry and reading out loud. Do you know if they have any opportunity through the MPOA Lit course to read out loud to the class or recite poetry?
        Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
        2020/2021 - 5th year homeschooling and with MP
        DS - 8th, 14 yo
        DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

In the Middle School I class, the teacher held a reader's theater most weeks, whereby students volunteered roles and read in class. There was poem memorization as well.

Comment

For me the main things are deadlines, discussion and extra assignments (beyond reading and answering questions). Some of the teachers go over the questions in the guide, while some discuss the material in a more general sense, but the guide is always assigned. Many times the kids will read aloud in class - particularly if it is a play or a poem. There are enrichment assignments, but no means are all the enrichment activities assigned. I think one per quarter sounds about right. Essays are assigned although frequency seems to vary by class and by book. I love the lit classes because they make us do more than just read the books and answer the questions. Grading essays is not my thing, so they would likely not be assigned at home.
            DD 17 | 12th
            DS 15 | 9th
            DD 13 | 8th
            2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Working...
            X