Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lit and Comp for a 9th grade English credit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lit and Comp for a 9th grade English credit?

Hi,

We have not taken any classes with MPOA, but are looking into them for the upcoming year (9th grade). I noticed that both 9th-grade literature and 9th-grade composition both are worth 1 high school English credit. Does that mean only one of the classes would be enough to fulfill a 9th-grade English credit, and that both cover enough literature and writing? We live in California and 4 English credits are needing for graduation. If dd took Lit. and Comp. at the same time wouldn't that have her finishing in half the time, or having double the work?

She took an online English 1 course this last school year, but it had lit. & comp. combined.

Thanks for the input!

Amy

Re: Lit and Comp for a 9th grade English credit?

Great question. I had this same question looking to the future. Both of those classes seem like a full credit.
    DS12- Simply Classical mash-up of SC Spelling 1, intensive reading remediation, and MPOA 4th grade math.
    DD10- Classic Core 4th Grade w/ 5th grade literature
    DD8- Classic Core 2nd Grade

We've completed:
    Classic Core Jr. kindergarten, kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade
    Simply Classical levels B, C, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5/6

Comment

Originally posted by Colomama View Post
      Great question. I had this same question looking to the future. Both of those classes seem like a full credit.
      It seems like the workload would equal a full credit. However, composition on its own seems more about the mechanics of writing, whereas in literature it's in response to the reading. Does that sound about right? In that case, I'm wondering if both would be necessary, but would be a great deal of writing. Or does "writing" as part of an English credit just mean a certian amount of writing projects and not necessarily the mechanics (unless they need more focused attention in that area)?

Comment

My daughter just finished up 9th grade. She took High School Comp 3 with the online academy. It was worth a credit as they had a paper due every week. My course descriptiin for “English 9” on her transcript will show the class along with a list of a few books that she read this past year. Next year she is taking the short novel class and they do write about the different books during the class so that one does combine lit and comp. I like the online comp classes since I don’t know much about CC, but they do take a lot of time and throw off the nice balance that one level of CC and a lit package that the core plans provide.
        Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
        15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
        DD College Freshman
        DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
        DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
        DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

Originally posted by tnaallen13 View Post
          Hi,

We have not taken any classes with MPOA, but are looking into them for the upcoming year (9th grade). I noticed that both 9th-grade literature and 9th-grade composition both are worth 1 high school English credit. Does that mean only one of the classes would be enough to fulfill a 9th-grade English credit, and that both cover enough literature and writing? We live in California and 4 English credits are needing for graduation. If dd took Lit. and Comp. at the same time wouldn't that have her finishing in half the time, or having double the work?

She took an online English 1 course this last school year, but it had lit. & comp. combined.

Thanks for the input!

Amy
          Hi Amy,

Thank you very much for the question. Glad to help. Yes, each of these would count for one credit each. So, you could definitely finish with the language arts early, or add some additional language arts classes as electives. We typically don't combine a class that is Lit heavy and Comp heavy at the same time, primarily because it is hard to get it all completed well if you have loads of books and loads of papers to write. With Classical Composition we want to make sure each specific, discreet skill is mastered, and this is difficult to do well if they are loaded down in the same class with lots and lots of reading. There are a few exceptions to this, one of which is the Austen/Shakespeare course and the AP Literature and Comp class, both of which pull a sort of 'double-duty' as Lit/Comp classes.

I hope this helps!

Scott Piland
          Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy
          [email protected]
          (877) 745-8866

Comment

Working...
          X