Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vacation during school year - okay to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vacation during school year - okay to do?

My dd will be taking two classes through the MPOA and my son will be taking one.

DD is taking MS Lit II and the CC Chreia/Maxim + Ref/Con class. DS will be taking CC Fable. We normally have an extended family get-together in late October or early November because it's just easier for everyone to take time off of work/homeschool at that time of year (and it's cool so that dd can handle being out and about).

My concern is that this would mean missing class for a week. First, is it okay for them to miss a week of classes (in case we're not able to duck in and get online)? Second, how difficult will it be to make up the work? I know there is a good amount of writing in the CC classes, but what about in MS Lit II? DD has taken online Latin for several years through another school and we have been able to work with her teacher when missing class for medical travel or this particular family gathering and it's worked well (we duck in and try to get her online or just watch the recording later and have her make up the work). I guess because we're new to the MPOA, I'm not quite sure what to expect.

TIA for your help!
    Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
    DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
    DD8 - SC level 2

Re: Vacation during school year - okay to do?

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    My dd will be taking two classes through the MPOA and my son will be taking one.

DD is taking MS Lit II and the CC Chreia/Maxim + Ref/Con class. DS will be taking CC Fable. We normally have an extended family get-together in late October or early November because it's just easier for everyone to take time off of work/homeschool at that time of year (and it's cool so that dd can handle being out and about).

My concern is that this would mean missing class for a week. First, is it okay for them to miss a week of classes (in case we're not able to duck in and get online)? Second, how difficult will it be to make up the work? I know there is a good amount of writing in the CC classes, but what about in MS Lit II? DD has taken online Latin for several years through another school and we have been able to work with her teacher when missing class for medical travel or this particular family gathering and it's worked well (we duck in and try to get her online or just watch the recording later and have her make up the work). I guess because we're new to the MPOA, I'm not quite sure what to expect.

TIA for your help!
    Mary,

My daughter never took a middle school lit class, but she has taken several other composition and Latin classes with MPOA. We have never had an issue scheduling an absence as long as we contacted the teacher and Mr. Piland in advance. I really doubt it will be an issue.
    Dorinda

Plans for 2021-2022
    15th year homeschooling, 12th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Freshman
    DS 10th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata Greek Dramas
    DS 8th grade - Vita Beata Literature
    DS 3rd grade - Vita Beata Literature, Right Start F, First Form Latin

Comment

When we have had to miss a class we simply watch the recording of the class as soon as we can and do the work to stay caught up with the group. When we do miss official classes (MPOA or tutorial), catching those up comes first before studies we do at home which have more flexibility.

HTH!
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

2021-2022 • 12th year HSing • 10th year MP
      DS 12th • HLN, Latin online, DE math/sci - Headed to Hillsdale College next fall
      DD 10th • HLN, Latin online
      DD 7th • HLN & Home
      DS 4th • HLN & Home
      Me • Memoria College, this summer: MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching TFL and co-directing @
      Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

We’ve never had an issue with a prearranged absence. In my experience, lit quizzes have been due at the end of the quarter, so your daughter will likely just need to keep up with reading and watch the recording. I believe MS Comp will have a paper due each week and Fable will have one due every other week (possibly with some other assignment from the guide do on the other weeks). My daughter has either been given extra time or allowed drop grades, depending on the teacher.
        DD 17 | 12th
        DS 15 | 9th
        DD 13 | 8th
        2021-2022

13th Year HSing, 9th Year MP

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post

TIA for your help!
          Hello!

Thanks for the post - and great question! This shouldn't be a problem as long as the teacher is aware. Normally you would just need to send an email to the instructor and copy me on it. Typically the teacher will want your student to turn in the assignment after watching the recording; sometimes the teachers allow the student a free paper to miss per semester and this would likely count as one. Medical travel is no problem either and the teacher would likely just have your student makeup the assignment.

Does this help? I hope so.

Thank you!

Scott Piland
          Director
          Memoria Press Online Academy
          [email protected]
          (877) 745-8866

Comment

Ah, thank you for all of your helpful replies! Yes, this does help quite a bit. I think I had in my head reams of papers and essays being missed and my children working like little Bob Cratchits trying to catch up. *weary laugh*

I will actually know the dates next week and will alert teachers (CC'ing Mr. Piland) as soon as classes begin. Thanks for putting my mind at ease! <3
            Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Working...
            X