Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• howiecram
    replied
    Re: Can I wait until next year to do Latin?

I was very intimidated by Latin! We have only completed 5 lessons in Prima (as scheduled in SC3) and with the DVDs, it's "easy" on everyone, especially Mom! My husband really wanted to learn as well, so we were watching the DVDs, actually, on Sunday night as a family! Then, the rest of the week we (my daughter and I) would listen to the CD and work through the workbook pages, etc. Once I did the review with her, she could actually fill out the workbook or do the "drill" pages without me. (allowing me time to work with a sibling)
    Last edited by howiecram; 04-19-2018, 07:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    Welcome!

I agree with Sarah that it is probably best just to stick with the guides your first year. Prima Latina is referred to as "gentle" for a reason...it is gentle on everyone, including mom. My addition would be to get your books well before you start so you can be ready to hit the ground running. Also, remember just one enrichment set is sufficient and that can be done with everyone together. You are picking a really nice spot to get into Memoria Press. I hope you enjoy your first year homeschooling!
    Thank you! I feel like it's a great spot too. I can't wait for the enrichment as I've heard great things about it!

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    So this is going to be your first year homeschooling, yes? Which means you do not yet really know how well they will work together. Easy-going or not, you will need to have some time to see how the dynamic plays out in your homeschool. I had every intention of being a "sit-on-the-couch, everyone learn together" sort of homeschool - until I tried it and realized how unrealistic that was for us! My more vocal ones are more than happy to answer every single question, and the quieter ones are "easy-going" enough to let them.

My personal suggestion for this being your first year is to start with the core curriculum exactly as it is. Go "by the book" for this first year. Follow the plans to a "t" and just try to get one day done at a time. Right now you do not know their individual learning speeds, their learning styles, their ability to handle frustration, their insecurities of learning with other people around, their competitiveness, etc. All of this will become much more clear as your first year moves along. I would want you to feel as successful as possible right off the get-go - which I think is most possible by just sticking with the plan. Again, don't be intimidated with Prima. Take it at face-value, have her learn it, and keep your day moving along. You will probably be surprised by how easily you start to think of each of them in their own "grades." And what an expert you become at having them round-robin with you around the table (talking to one while another one is writing, while another one is coloring or reading, etc).

AMDG,
    Sarah
    I think following the guide is what I need to do as well. (Just a sidenote that I've been homeschooling for 6 years, and this is the only year that my kids have gone to school)...but I haven't done anything Classical at all. And the ones I'm homeschooling next year are young so no, I don't know how things will go when we're in full-time elementary school mode because they were in K and preK and 3 when I last homeschooled them. I just don't want to kick myself and say " I wish I would've just started him", etc.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
    Meadowlark,
    Were you the one asking about starting a small tutorial on another thread? If so, whether or not that comes to fruition might affect your decision. If there is a Prima class offered (easily bunched as second and third grade), that might answer your question right there.
    Yes, that was me. But-I'm having a hard time getting people (anyone actually) on board with Memoria. I think there's about a zero percent chance anything is going to get started. :-(

Leave a comment:

• Mom2mthj
    replied

Welcome!

I agree with Sarah that it is probably best just to stick with the guides your first year. Prima Latina is referred to as "gentle" for a reason...it is gentle on everyone, including mom. My addition would be to get your books well before you start so you can be ready to hit the ground running. Also, remember just one enrichment set is sufficient and that can be done with everyone together. You are picking a really nice spot to get into Memoria Press. I hope you enjoy your first year homeschooling!

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
    So, to answer your question, my first two (out of the 3) work really well together. They are both really calm, easygoing personalities. My 3rd on the other hand....lol. She is more of a spitfire. Academically, all of my kids seem to be on grade level. They are all in school this year and that's what their teachers report-all in the benchmark reading group. My 1st grader is reading fluently, but still on grade level. So, having that information...what do you think?
    So this is going to be your first year homeschooling, yes? Which means you do not yet really know how well they will work together. Easy-going or not, you will need to have some time to see how the dynamic plays out in your homeschool. I had every intention of being a "sit-on-the-couch, everyone learn together" sort of homeschool - until I tried it and realized how unrealistic that was for us! My more vocal ones are more than happy to answer every single question, and the quieter ones are "easy-going" enough to let them.

My personal suggestion for this being your first year is to start with the core curriculum exactly as it is. Go "by the book" for this first year. Follow the plans to a "t" and just try to get one day done at a time. Right now you do not know their individual learning speeds, their learning styles, their ability to handle frustration, their insecurities of learning with other people around, their competitiveness, etc. All of this will become much more clear as your first year moves along. I would want you to feel as successful as possible right off the get-go - which I think is most possible by just sticking with the plan. Again, don't be intimidated with Prima. Take it at face-value, have her learn it, and keep your day moving along. You will probably be surprised by how easily you start to think of each of them in their own "grades." And what an expert you become at having them round-robin with you around the table (talking to one while another one is writing, while another one is coloring or reading, etc).

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Meadowlark,
    Were you the one asking about starting a small tutorial on another thread? If so, whether or not that comes to fruition might affect your decision. If there is a Prima class offered (easily bunched as second and third grade), that might answer your question right there.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Another part of that decision is how well you and your kids work together. Which one seems better to you...

1) Getting a chance to work one-on-one with your oldest child on Prima while the two of you figure it out,
    or
    2) Trying to figure it out with both children sitting-in together?

If you take option 1, then the second year you can easily teach Prima to your second child because you have been through it before, and you can figure out LC with your oldest at the very gentle pace of third grade.

If you take option 2, then you have both kids sitting together trying to work on the same material at the same time. Do they do that well? Or do they fight and compete, or generally drive each other crazy?

If you imaging yourself in either situation, which one seems better for you and how you work with your children?

I have always kept my separate because of the "fighting and competing and generally driving each other crazy" aspect of combining them.

But as Tanya and Jessica have mentioned, you have plenty of time either way! And even if you give it a shot for the year, you can always back off and try again next year. But don't be intimidate by Prima or LC. They are both really simple and easy to follow, and you will be able to help them just fine even if that is all the Latin you personally ever learn.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    So, to answer your question, my first two (out of the 3) work really well together. They are both really calm, easygoing personalities. My 3rd on the other hand....lol. She is more of a spitfire. Academically, all of my kids seem to be on grade level. They are all in school this year and that's what their teachers report-all in the benchmark reading group. My 1st grader is reading fluently, but still on grade level. So, having that information...what do you think?

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Another part of that decision is how well you and your kids work together. Which one seems better to you...

1) Getting a chance to work one-on-one with your oldest child on Prima while the two of you figure it out,
    or
    2) Trying to figure it out with both children sitting-in together?

If you take option 1, then the second year you can easily teach Prima to your second child because you have been through it before, and you can figure out LC with your oldest at the very gentle pace of third grade.

If you take option 2, then you have both kids sitting together trying to work on the same material at the same time. Do they do that well? Or do they fight and compete, or generally drive each other crazy?

If you imaging yourself in either situation, which one seems better for you and how you work with your children?

I have always kept my separate because of the "fighting and competing and generally driving each other crazy" aspect of combining them.

But as Tanya and Jessica have mentioned, you have plenty of time either way! And even if you give it a shot for the year, you can always back off and try again next year. But don't be intimidate by Prima or LC. They are both really simple and easy to follow, and you will be able to help them just fine even if that is all the Latin you personally ever learn.

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Is your rising third grader a fluent and confident reader? And, can you think about it in terms of what is a good fit for next year and shelve some of that anxiety about what it'll look like in a few years? I'm speaking from experience here. Many of us are no longer the primary Latin teacher by the time students are in Third Form. Your job in the early years is to lay a strong foundation. Most of our kids will excel us in Latin, if only because of their speed (and liberty to study) and our slowness to learn (and lack of liberty to study and necessity of daily dinner and reading habits, but I digress).

As Tanya said, there is no rush and you can wait. And, if you firmly believe that this is the path your family is going to take academically, then it's also ok to start with the oldest and go from there. Most of us have many levels of Latin going. We teach some and some we farm out. The more Latin we have going in our homes, the more it becomes the ethos of the homeschool-it's simply what everyone is doing. Older kids can help answer questions or explain translations. Mom doesn't have to teach it all (or even grade it all, at some point). The Online Academy stands ready to help anyone without a cottage school around. It's not all on you (or me, hallelujah!) through 12th grade.

You still may decide to wait, and that's ok. I'm just trying to lift your vision a little from the trenches with all those small people at your homeschool table. <3

Leave a comment:

• tanya
    replied

Hello.

This is really a personal decision. You will see on this forum that some choose to do each core individually with each student, and others combine when possible. There is no disadvantage to waiting a year to begin Prima and letting two students be in the same Latin class, especially if your 2nd grader isn't reading fluently yet.

Tanya

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    started a topic Can I wait until next year to do Latin?

Can I wait until next year to do Latin?

Next year I will have a 2nd, 1st and K. I've heard two different things concerning starting Prima. I've heard to start it with my 2nd grader next year, and hence, be doing 3 different programs if I continue adding in my kids each year. And I've also gotten the advice to just wait and do at least two of my kids together, probably the 3rd/2nd the following year. Then, I would only be doing 2 programs moving forward. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each option?
Working...
X