Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for organizing the spiral bound books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tips for organizing the spiral bound books?

IT'S BOX DAY AT THE KENNEDY COMPOUND!

(I might be just a tiny bit excited)

Any of you sweet mommas have ideas for organizing the spiral bound books -- so I can easily see at a glance what they are, without pulling them all off the shelf?
    Plans for 2022-23

Year 12 of homeschooling with MP

DD1 - 27 - college grad, bakery owner
    DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre
    DS3 - 14 -7A Cottage School - soccer/tennis -dyslexia and dysgraphia
    DS4 -14 - 7A Cottage School -soccer/tennis -auditory processing disorder
    DD5 - 10- 5A, Cottage School - inattentive ADHD - equestrian and tumbling
    DS6 - 9 - MP 1 - home with momma

Re: Any tips for organizing the spiral bound books?

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
    IT'S BOX DAY AT THE KENNEDY COMPOUND!

(I might be just a tiny bit excited)

Any of you sweet mommas have ideas for organizing the spiral bound books -- so I can easily see at a glance what they are, without pulling them all off the shelf?
    I usually shelve all the books of one subject together so the spiral becomes obvious by what it is near. Some (like the forms) have the spirals color coded by level and others are recognizable by their size. I am excited to hear some new ideas. Congratulations on box day! Do you get home delivery when you are so close to the mothership?
    Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
    16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
    DD College Sophomore
    DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
    DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
    DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

My system is similar to Dorinda's.

The kids have separate bins for their books and they put sets together. They're in charge of keeping books in their bins and grabbing what they need when they need it. There is sometimes a bit of mixup between Latin and composition, but it's not a huge deal. In a bin, you pull it up part way and, if it's the wrong title, drop it back in and grab the other.

In my bin...I used to loop a piece of Scotch tape around one of the top coils, with slip of paper bearing the subject on it between the ends of the tape; however, those would get tattered and fall off. So I just store my books the same way the kids do (Latin TG + spiral bound book, etc.). I still sometimes pull out the wrong book, but it's not the end of the world.

ETA: Dianna, these are the bins I use: https://www.containerstore.com/s/off...uctId=10022942

The XL size hold teacher manuals quite nicely (and as the kids get older, I've now expanded into two of these for all of my TGs!). The L size holds most grades' workbooks pretty well. I think I upgraded dd13 to an XL this year because she has so many more books.

I bought most of mine several years ago and they hold up really nicely! If you put your spiral-bound books at either end, you can quickly see through the side which book it is. :-)
      They fit under the kids' homeschool chairs, in library cabinets and on my Ikea cube shelf (exactly like the one JfiJ showed except mine are 5x5). They are exactly the right length for MP workbooks with just a bit of room at the end for speed drill booklets and Peterson Field guides. Additionally, if you need a place to store those ring-bound flashcard sets, they snap nicely into the carrying handles. (I gave up on this quickly and went to a pegboard because my kids would dump the cards all over the floor trying to unsnap the rings; however, maybe your kids are more careful.)
      Last edited by Mary; 04-17-2018, 09:13 AM. Reason: Added link
      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post

The kids have separate bins for their books and they put sets together. They're in charge of keeping books in their bins and grabbing what they need when they need it. There is sometimes a bit of mixup between Latin and composition, but it's not a huge deal. In a bin, you pull it up part way and, if it's the wrong title, drop it back in and grab the other.

In my bin...I used to loop a piece of Scotch tape around one of the top coils, with slip of paper bearing the subject on it between the ends of the tape; however, those would get tattered and fall off. So I just store my books the same way the kids do (Latin TG + spiral bound book, etc.). I still sometimes pull out the wrong book, but it's not the end of the world.

Same as Mary. Each child has their own bin and I keep my CC teacher manuals on a different part of my shelf than the Latin ones.
        Jennifer
        Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
        DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
        DS15: MP, MPOA
        DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
        DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
        DD10: SC3
        DD7: MPK

Comment

Hi Dianna,

This year I sprang for this cube organizer from Walmart. I picked a color that worked with my room. Since I have only 1 kid, I purchased some of the (add on) baskets to store other supplies, but with your crew, each kid (and mom) could each have their own "cube". I also added some cheap magazine organizers to create rigid standing organization. I have NO trouble keeping track of bindings and spirals since the materials are so organized.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-Ho...zj4DcoF5KiGH18

Jen (who, for now, is formerly from Japan) - new Forum name!
          DS, 28 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace)

DS, 26 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 23 yrs, graduated from The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC; 2nd grade teacher.

DS, 13 yrs, 9th grade; attends a private classical school, 7th - 12th.

All homeschooled for some/all of their K-12 education.

Me: retired after 16 years of continuous homeschooling, now a high school chemistry teacher at a large Catholic high school

Comment

I was thinking of getting some things like this for on my bookshelves, and then putting a label for the general subject area above each slot. https://www.amazon.ca/Organizer-Work...W4G97RGA62VQD0

I think they call it a "literature sorter" and you can get in various sizes and configurations. But they are way too expensive so I bailed on that idea and just stack them in designated piles and flip through instead.

Comment

We have 3 sets of the cube shelves like Jen posted, just the Costco version. I believe they are pretty similar in size. We are currently in a small rental house, so only one of the shelves lives in the entry way closet. Each kid has a bin with all of their school books. They only house the books in use as we have very limited space. The rest are in a storage bin. I have a bin with my TM's. In the house we just purchased (and move in to in 2 weeks ), all three shelves will come back out as we will have a big school room again and this is how I like to organize...Each kid will still have a bin with most of their school books, but with all the subjects that are mom led, I group their books and the TM's that go with them in separate magazine files and I have everything I need for that subject and just pull it off the shelf when it's time to teach. Most of these Mom subjects are the one's with spiral binding, so they stay nice a safe in the magazine file and I don't have to hunt for them. Each kid also has a Ikea rolling cart that lives next to their desk or is moved with them to the big school table when we have Morning Meeting or together subjects. This houses all the supplies, enrichment materials, free read books, flash cards, maps, recitation cds/DVD's, etc. This way they never have to roam around trying to find what they need. They use the top try of the rolling cart to put their completed work to be checked by me so I can just grab their stack and grade. It also helps me visually see how much work they have completed.

That's how we do it with 5 kids and a Mom who falls apart and can't function when things are out of order
              Katie

DS 18, DD 15, DD 12, twin DDs 9

Comment

We use a wire drawer system by Rubbermaid to store our current books. Each kid has certain drawers and usually only one subject per drawer unless there are fewer books and two subjects fit (like EGR and CC go in one drawer). I put my books in the drawer too so when we sit down to do a subject together it’s all in the drawer we pulled out.
                As far as long term storage of books not being used, it’s harder with spiral. They are put right by the perfect bound books of the same subject/level so if I see the First Form teacher guide i know the spiral is the workbook.
                Spirals are harder to track on a shelf, but they are so worth the trouble when you actually use the book and it lays FLAT!
                Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
                DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
                DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
                DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
                (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
                DS, 21, Physics and math major
                DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
                DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
                DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                  I usually shelve all the books of one subject together so the spiral becomes obvious by what it is near. Some (like the forms) have the spirals color coded by level and others are recognizable by their size. I am excited to hear some new ideas. Congratulations on box day! Do you get home delivery when you are so close to the mothership?
                  I have to digress into box day ---

I had 4 boxes, which I think was my biggest order ever. (3 cores, as my youngest will get her books at HLS. She was a bit disappointed, but I placated her by reminding her about her library card. She marched into the public library and sweetly demanded a card of her own during our visit yesterday. )

Anyway --- I always pick mine up, because I want to visit/chat with the MP staff. My husband offered to go by, but I told him no.

Everything was beautifully packed - no annoying packing peanuts or those inflatable pillows (not bubble wrap but that other strange stuff), but instead, cotton batting! I'm sure it will be upcycled into some sort of dollhouse decor, but I was completely impressed.
                  Plans for 2022-23

DD2 - 16 - 11th grade - HLS Cottage School - online classes, looking at dual credit - equestrian and theatre

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post

ETA: Dianna, these are the bins I use: https://www.containerstore.com/s/off...uctId=10022942

The XL size hold teacher manuals quite nicely (and as the kids get older, I've now expanded into two of these for all of my TGs!). The L size holds most grades' workbooks pretty well. I think I upgraded dd13 to an XL this year because she has so many more books.

I bought most of mine several years ago and they hold up really nicely! If you put your spiral-bound books at either end, you can quickly see through the side which book it is. :-)
                    They fit under the kids' homeschool chairs, in library cabinets and on my Ikea cube shelf (exactly like the one JfiJ showed except mine are 5x5). They are exactly the right length for MP workbooks with just a bit of room at the end for speed drill booklets and Peterson Field guides. Additionally, if you need a place to store those ring-bound flashcard sets, they snap nicely into the carrying handles. (I gave up on this quickly and went to a pegboard because my kids would dump the cards all over the floor trying to unsnap the rings; however, maybe your kids are more careful.)
                    I am buying these bins ASAP. So much better than the ones we’re currently using!!
                    Jennifer
                    Blog: [url]www.seekingdelectare.com[/url]

DS18: Graduated and living his dream in the automotive trades
                    DS17: MP, MPOA, headed to his favorite liberal arts college this fall
                    DS15: MP, MPOA
                    DS13: Mix of SC 5/6 & SC 7/8
                    DD11: Mix of 5M and SC7/8
                    DD10: SC3
                    DD7: MPK

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                      I am buying these bins ASAP. So much better than the ones we’re currently using!!

I <3 The Container Store! *dreamy sigh*

I put felt rounds on the bottoms of these to keep them from scratching my white library cabinets. Basically, each kiddo (and me!) has his/her own bin with the workbooks he/she is currently using. I line them with the spines up so that we can easily the titles and I keep the spirals on either end (Latin spiral workbook with text on one end, composition spiral on the other).

For books we aren't yet using (think upcoming literature or science), I have the size S bins - one for each kiddo - tucked away in my lower library cabinets. Each workbook sits in the labeled bin alongside it's TG companion. When I need it, I pull it out of the cabinet and put it into that child's bin.

BTW, speaking of more fun stuff to blow money on at the Container Store, I love, love, love these erasable labels! https://www.containerstore.com/s/era...&q=label%20kit

I use them for both file folders AND on the front of each homeschool book bin (there's a spot to put a label - genius!). Of course, since I'm still going strong in my "no spending money on anything except food or necessities" bet, I can't buy these. But I can coerce you guys into buying stuff! *evil laugh* <3
                      Mary

DD15 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

My elem/middle kids each have their own plastic bin with their books. These sit in the table next to them. They range from well organized to chaos as personality dictates. I graduated my 8th graders to those wooden craft crates (Lowe’s, Hobby Lobby, etc) sat on their side to make their own little ‘bookcase’ on their desks. Ideally they get to paint it as they wish but we just had to load and go this year. The boxes are big enough for the larger number of books and the flash cards can sit on top or hang from nails on the side.

I made a separate little book cubbie (like those magazine holders but open front) for the texts that are shared by multiple children.

My TM books are on a dedicated shelf organized by subject for all my cores (4!) with any preprinted test books at the end of the shelf. True confessions...the ones I use most (Latin and the subjects I teach for our co-op) never make it to the shelf but have a spot on the corner of a table by the chalkboard.
                        Regards, Hollie Hoped for 2021/22: DD 2003 - 12; MPOA Austen Lit, Henle I, Senior Thesis DS 2004 - 12; MPOA Tolkien Lit, Christian Latin DS 2006- 9; VideoText Algebra, MPOA: 4FL, HS Comp I DD 2007 - 9, MPOA Common Topic; CTC Math DD 2008- 8A/9; MPOA Henle 1, Common Topic; CTC Math DD 2011 - Core 5 DS 2015- cruising through K over summer, 1st grade in Fall DS 2020 - learning and teaching every day! Using MP complete since 2016-17; bits and pieces for many years previous

Comment

I keep thinking I am going to use key tags like these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Uniclife-Pl...ywords=key+tag
                          Megan, wife to Chuck, mother to 12 year old triplets (2 girls & a boy), and an 11 year old girl

Comment

Originally posted by MeganW View Post
                            I keep thinking I am going to use key tags like these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Uniclife-Pl...ywords=key+tag
                            AAAAH! You must be my long lost sister. <3

I adore these.

I meant to go back and edit the original post to say that I really needed guidance in the spiral bound teacher manuals, but there were so many wonderful tips shared, I left it.

I'm off to see if you could easily attach these to the spiral binding. You might have just saved the day.
                            Plans for 2022-23

Comment

One more option - mini blind slats. I haven’t tried it, but looks like it would work well.

https://marietagrissom.wordpress.com...piral-binders/
                              Megan, wife to Chuck, mother to 12 year old triplets (2 girls & a boy), and an 11 year old girl

Comment

Working...
                              X