Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tips for organizing the spiral bound books?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bean
    replied
    Re: Any tips for organizing the spiral bound books?

I've used washi tape flags from the top coil before, but they make smaller rolls of duct tape now. That would be more durable.

Leave a comment:

• MeganW
    replied

Or maybe you could take the coil out, write the book title on the page edges, and then put the coil back?

Leave a comment:

• MeganW
    replied

Originally posted by Hahcook View Post

What about colored yarn/ribbon tied to a spiral? You’d have to remember what yarn/ribbon went with each subject so it might be just trading one challenge for another... (I have budding knitters so strips of yarn in various colors are easy to come by around here.)
    Or maybe you could make a little tag out of a sticky note and tie it on? Maybe laminate the tag so it doesn't get instantly destroyed.

Leave a comment:

• MeganW
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Genius! Super simple yet effective.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    (Who has no mini blinds to raid for book lables...what to do, what to do...)
    Not to be an enabler, but they sell them on Amazon for less than $10.

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Originally posted by MeganW View Post
    One more option - mini blind slats. I haven’t tried it, but looks like it would work well.

https://marietagrissom.wordpress.com...piral-binders/
    Wondering if putting these on the spirals themselves prevents the book from opening and lying flat, which is the point of the spiral. I would think it would. Has anyone done this?

Leave a comment:

• Colomama
    replied

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Um...thrift store?!? Those things are always there...stored very carefully...stuffed into a garbage can in the corner.

Leave a comment:

• Hahcook
    replied

I love the key fobs...and they come in all the colors we use to color-code the kids’ many ‘things’! Amazing!

The challenge to the mini-blind idea would be opening the books....

What about colored yarn/ribbon tied to a spiral? You’d have to remember what yarn/ribbon went with each subject so it might be just trading one challenge for another... (I have budding knitters so strips of yarn in various colors are easy to come by around here.)

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• MeganW
    replied

One more option - mini blind slats. I haven’t tried it, but looks like it would work well.

https://marietagrissom.wordpress.com...piral-binders/

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Originally posted by MeganW View Post
    I keep thinking I am going to use key tags like these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Uniclife-Pl...ywords=key+tag
    AAAAH! You must be my long lost sister. <3

I adore these.

I meant to go back and edit the original post to say that I really needed guidance in the spiral bound teacher manuals, but there were so many wonderful tips shared, I left it.

I'm off to see if you could easily attach these to the spiral binding. You might have just saved the day.

Leave a comment:

• MeganW
    replied

I keep thinking I am going to use key tags like these.

https://smile.amazon.com/Uniclife-Pl...ywords=key+tag

Leave a comment:

• Hahcook
    replied

My elem/middle kids each have their own plastic bin with their books. These sit in the table next to them. They range from well organized to chaos as personality dictates. I graduated my 8th graders to those wooden craft crates (Lowe’s, Hobby Lobby, etc) sat on their side to make their own little ‘bookcase’ on their desks. Ideally they get to paint it as they wish but we just had to load and go this year. The boxes are big enough for the larger number of books and the flash cards can sit on top or hang from nails on the side.

I made a separate little book cubbie (like those magazine holders but open front) for the texts that are shared by multiple children.

My TM books are on a dedicated shelf organized by subject for all my cores (4!) with any preprinted test books at the end of the shelf. True confessions...the ones I use most (Latin and the subjects I teach for our co-op) never make it to the shelf but have a spot on the corner of a table by the chalkboard.

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
    I am buying these bins ASAP. So much better than the ones we’re currently using!!

I <3 The Container Store! *dreamy sigh*

I put felt rounds on the bottoms of these to keep them from scratching my white library cabinets. Basically, each kiddo (and me!) has his/her own bin with the workbooks he/she is currently using. I line them with the spines up so that we can easily the titles and I keep the spirals on either end (Latin spiral workbook with text on one end, composition spiral on the other).

For books we aren't yet using (think upcoming literature or science), I have the size S bins - one for each kiddo - tucked away in my lower library cabinets. Each workbook sits in the labeled bin alongside it's TG companion. When I need it, I pull it out of the cabinet and put it into that child's bin.

BTW, speaking of more fun stuff to blow money on at the Container Store, I love, love, love these erasable labels! https://www.containerstore.com/s/era...&q=label%20kit

I use them for both file folders AND on the front of each homeschool book bin (there's a spot to put a label - genius!). Of course, since I'm still going strong in my "no spending money on anything except food or necessities" bet, I can't buy these. But I can coerce you guys into buying stuff! *evil laugh* <3

Leave a comment:

• jen1134
    replied

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    My system is similar to Dorinda's.

The kids have separate bins for their books and they put sets together. They're in charge of keeping books in their bins and grabbing what they need when they need it. There is sometimes a bit of mixup between Latin and composition, but it's not a huge deal. In a bin, you pull it up part way and, if it's the wrong title, drop it back in and grab the other.

In my bin...I used to loop a piece of Scotch tape around one of the top coils, with slip of paper bearing the subject on it between the ends of the tape; however, those would get tattered and fall off. So I just store my books the same way the kids do (Latin TG + spiral bound book, etc.). I still sometimes pull out the wrong book, but it's not the end of the world.

ETA: Dianna, these are the bins I use: https://www.containerstore.com/s/off...uctId=10022942

The XL size hold teacher manuals quite nicely (and as the kids get older, I've now expanded into two of these for all of my TGs!). The L size holds most grades' workbooks pretty well. I think I upgraded dd13 to an XL this year because she has so many more books.

I bought most of mine several years ago and they hold up really nicely! If you put your spiral-bound books at either end, you can quickly see through the side which book it is. :-)
    They fit under the kids' homeschool chairs, in library cabinets and on my Ikea cube shelf (exactly like the one JfiJ showed except mine are 5x5). They are exactly the right length for MP workbooks with just a bit of room at the end for speed drill booklets and Peterson Field guides. Additionally, if you need a place to store those ring-bound flashcard sets, they snap nicely into the carrying handles. (I gave up on this quickly and went to a pegboard because my kids would dump the cards all over the floor trying to unsnap the rings; however, maybe your kids are more careful.)
    I am buying these bins ASAP. So much better than the ones we’re currently using!!

Leave a comment:

• DiannaKennedy
    replied

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
    I usually shelve all the books of one subject together so the spiral becomes obvious by what it is near. Some (like the forms) have the spirals color coded by level and others are recognizable by their size. I am excited to hear some new ideas. Congratulations on box day! Do you get home delivery when you are so close to the mothership?
    I have to digress into box day ---

I had 4 boxes, which I think was my biggest order ever. (3 cores, as my youngest will get her books at HLS. She was a bit disappointed, but I placated her by reminding her about her library card. She marched into the public library and sweetly demanded a card of her own during our visit yesterday. )

Anyway --- I always pick mine up, because I want to visit/chat with the MP staff. My husband offered to go by, but I told him no.

Everything was beautifully packed - no annoying packing peanuts or those inflatable pillows (not bubble wrap but that other strange stuff), but instead, cotton batting! I'm sure it will be upcycled into some sort of dollhouse decor, but I was completely impressed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X