Cottage School Courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cottage School Courses

We are planning to start our first year in SC this fall. As our enrollment forms are coming in, we are starting to see some gaps in the courses we have advertised. We planned to do combined 3/4 grade classes using Literature 4 and combined 5/6 grade classes using Literature 6. However, we have predominately third grade students enrolling in the Literature 4 class. After talking with several other directors about the third graders ability to keep up with the fourth grade books coming from second grade, we have been encouraged to offer a Literature 3 course as well. Would you concur?

Additionally, we are planning to offer Fable for 3/4 grade and Narrative for 5/6. Could a third grader complete the Fable course successfully? Should we consider offering IEW ATFF? Or could we offer Fable and Narrative for 2018/2019 and then IEW ATFF (3/4), Narrative (4/5) and Chreia/Maxim (6/7) for 2019/2020.
    Elisabeth

DS-7, MP 1
    DD-4
    DD-10 months

Highlands Latin Cottage School Anderson
    HighlandsLatin.org/Anderson

Re: Cottage School Courses

Good to see you here! I've already shared my thoughts with you on lit, so I'll leave that out here.

What about this for composition next year:
    3/4th does IEW/EGR 1
    5/6 could do Fable and Narrative combined. If this class is big enough, they move into Chreia/Maxim (one class for the entire year) next year as 6th/7th graders. This is right on schedule for them. However, if third graders start Fable in third then they will hit Chreia/Maxim in fifth--that's too young for the invention skills required. Really, it's pretty challenging even at the beginning of sixth grade because the student is having to think up analogies that show consequences of following the saying or not following the saying, plus pulling examples from their memory from history, scripture, or literature. That's a pretty tough skill! Then Ref/Con would fall in sixth...that's simply too difficult.

The following year, you could offer
    3 IEW if there are any third graders
    4/5 Fable**
    6/7 Chreia/Maxim
    **I would not suggest taking a class through Fable and then back to IEW. After Fable they should go on to Narrative

I think your longer term view has to focus on where your pacing and placement now put these students in a few years. Cumulative subjects where you always do one level and then the next (Latin, math, composition), those are the hardest subjects to combine in a school setting because you end up with wide age and skill variance in the classroom. A young third grader and an old fourth grader can be 3-4 years apart! As an encouragement though, the age differences become less of an issue as they get nearer high school and it becomes easier to combine across levels. Skill development is just such a huge consideration in the primary/early grammar years. That really makes it tough.

Hope this helps!
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Composition: Chreia/Max to Ref/Con

Elizabeth,
      I'm posting this thread because there's a great discussion about the transition from Chreia/Maxim to Ref/Con. Abigail Johnson does a superb job describing the two. Hopefully reading this will give you a better idea of what's expected in those stages and will help with thinking through at what grade/age those classes need to hit. Hope this is helpful!

https://forum.memoriapress.com/showt...n-Confirmation
      Festina lentē,
      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
      D · 8th
      D · 5th
      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...