When to drop spelling?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to drop spelling?

I've already posted a few threads about our upcoming transition to MP for 2018-2019. My two older children (grades 5 and 7) just completed their state-mandated standardized testing and both did extremely well in the area of spelling -- both scored PHS (post high school level.) They also both scored PHS on vocabulary.

I was planning to have them do cores 5M and a mix of 7 and 8. Can I safely drop spelling next year for them? It would free up more time for other studies, maybe Greek ...
    DS13: Mix of MP 7/8
    DS11: MP 5M
    DD9: MP 2/3 mix
    DS6: Public school 1/2 day kindergarten, plus outside OT, PT and speech

Re: When to drop spelling?

If your child is a good speller you are safe to stop after 6A or 7M. Correct spelling is "two importent". Ha! All the student guides require written answers. So should you choose to drop, I would encourage you to check and expect correct spelling in their assignments. You could maybe make your own "spelling lists" from words spelled incorrectly in everyday work. Just an idea to make room for Greek.

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Comment

Re: When to drop spelling?

Thank you! I was thinking we would just work on spelling it comes up naturally in the course of their writing assignments, so your advice makes perfect sense.
      DS13: Mix of MP 7/8
      DS11: MP 5M
      DD9: MP 2/3 mix
      DS6: Public school 1/2 day kindergarten, plus outside OT, PT and speech

Comment

Working...
      X