Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Should I continue organizing Latin tutorial next year?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OT: Should I continue organizing Latin tutorial next year?

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
    Hi Maria,

I have been following this thread this morning. I wanted to add a thought (paltry after so much good feedback already).

How about YOU? Have you "dropped the class"? Are you (basically) done with the energy that these class take to execute for you and your kids?

Way back in the day, my husband and I were in college together. As a chemist and a civil engineer, we had years of classes in common, which yes, we did take together. With so much shared academic history around our house, we developed a catch-all phrase called "dropping the class". This phrase means that, even if you could get an extension/re-do/do-over, you confess that you are actually mentally past that point. Dropping the class is code words for admitting that you have mentally moved in a different direction, even if you can't execute "the drop" immediately.

In some ways, as you describe the situation, I see that you can up your energy toward the Herculean effort to make all parties happy, with compromises here and there. In other ways, I see that you might be seeing some writing on the wall, that your energies might best be used toward that true classical education that you seek for your children, especially with the cheering and support from your MP forum friends.

So, I do think you are back to examining your heart. If you admit that you have essentially dropped the class, then you have your answer, even if you must now soothe and disentangle. Sometimes the practical approach is the best way to go when you do need to disentangle. By showing the tutors that only 1-3 families remain, the tutors might excuse themselves out of practicality.

Or, if all you need to do adjust toward some of the above suggestions, then you have your answer.... for one more year, at least. This time next year, you will then reevaluate, as you are doing right now.

Jen, who has tremendous difficulty leaving homeschool groups because I secretly feel like I "owe" them something. Why is that?
    Ha! I knew there were people in the world who would feel bad leaving groups just because they are kind.

Jen, thanks for the comments about "dropping the class"- I know what you mean, and it makes sense. The thing is as you say, a person gets energy from doing this kind of thing when people taking part love it... when they don't it's harder to continue. There are, however a few kids in the group who love or at least like coming, I think, and like learning Latin. My biggest problem in all of this is that my dd is a gal who was literally created to go to school. But not just school- she was created to go to a classical school. She loves all of it, but she doesn't love to do it alone. Hardly a week goes by that she doesn't give me a heartfelt thank-you for starting the tutorial, and tell me that is the greatest thing in the world, and how much she loves it.

She adores the quirkiness of the teachers, the way they are, the weird little things that happen in class. She loves Gregorian chant. "It's so beautiful Mom. How come people don't like it?" She enjoys puzzling out the oddities of language. Most importantly, she wants to learn from real teachers who know their stuff. I believe she actually will wilt without it. Now, we can fill in elsewhere, kind of- but *this group* is what she loves. She enjoys the feel of it, it's unique "flavour." That's been what gives me the energy to try to do what I never, ever would- just knowing that she needs school, and trying to provide something approximating it for her.

I had an idea that might breathe some life back into it, so we'll see if I can make it happen, if I can't then maybe, I let it drop.

thanks Sarah- in some sense you are absolutely correct, but in another way, I feel that once this dies, "something" ended that could have been marvelous...so it is good to be reminded that there are also new beginnings that are possible!
    Last edited by Girlnumber20; 04-11-2018, 12:45 PM. Reason: wordy, wordy...
    DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
    DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by Jen in Japan View Post
      Jen, who has tremendous difficulty leaving homeschool groups because I secretly feel like I "owe" them something. Why is that?
      Why? Because you have a gentle soul. <3 I can stand in my husband's cozy home office, make a decision and rail on and on about why it is the right thing to do (with him nodding in agreement)...but as soon as I'm faced with a trembling lip or any sort of feeling of guilt (often from being emotionally manipulated by people who just want me to do their bidding...but that's another story), I cave. I backpedal. I become overly polite and suffer through whatever it is that's totally wrong for me or my family because I feel like I "owe" something to this other human being or group of human beings, whom God loves just as much as He loves me. *sigh* I forget that being a Christian doesn't mean being a doormat.

Perhaps we should start a 12-steps-to-walking-away-from-groups-that-don't-work-for-us program. Actually, quite literally, just take 12 steps and you'll be at the door. *cracks up laughing*
      Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I + Latin IV
      DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science
      DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

I never suffer with that problem...I've always assumed that I am doing people a favour by leaving, or that they won't particularly notice that I'm gone. I guess it's a learning process. Need a little more self-confidence over here...
        DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
          I never suffer with that problem...I've always assumed that I am doing people a favour by leaving, or that they won't particularly notice that I'm gone. I guess it's a learning process. Need a little more self-confidence over here...
          Maria! Just don't ever leave the forum. We would definitely notice your absence. *Hugs*

*Sending you a vat of Self-Confidence while searching the internet for a like-new case of Courage to Say No for myself.* <3
          Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I + Latin IV
          DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science
          DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
            Maria! Just don't ever leave the forum. We would definitely notice your absence. *Hugs*

*Sending you a vat of Self-Confidence while searching the internet for a like-new case of Courage to Say No for myself.* <3
            My h is like that, it comes from wanting to help others and be kind to them in the moment. I guess it can be kinder to say no, in the long run- it's just that the person might not ever realize that you are being kind, might even take offence or be hurt. So that makes it really hard. I can't say no to my kids. I am really bad like that, classic spoiling Mama. Working on it.

I think if I left this forum I would wilt. You all are the kindest and most honest people I've met.
            DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Maria,

That is such a tough situation, and I can relate to you on many levels. I took over a preschool cooperative and have directed it for three years. I took it over while making it known to the families that I intended to extend it for the Primary and later Grammar School Grades using a Classical approach. During my second year, we transitioned to using Memoria Press in the Primary Grades (with the Enrichment Guides) with the intent to use it each year as we added a grade and to add in Latin with 2nd grade and up. Long story short, the families are “all on board” and continued to enroll enthusiastically, but would not complete the homework and only a small portion used MP at home. They enjoyed the social time and “classroom atmosphere” for their kids. This year we also received some pushback from some moms who wanted to infuse more Charlotte Mason into the co/op and less “work”. My husband and I would talk regularly about my frustrations, and he always encouraged me to ask “Is this working for us? Is this what we want for our children? Or are you keeping the co/op going because of your fear of man and what they will think of you if you don’t need continue it?” It became very clear this year that the long term vision of the moms did not align with our own, especially in the area of Latin. We even really tried to encourage the moms to see the full picture and benefits of a Classical Education by organizing a “Moms Book Club” meeting for coffee once each month and reading through “The Liberal Arts Tradition”. We had about 25 percent of the moms attend regularly and even within that group, it was still about 50/50 for who thought Latin was important. SOOOOO with mixed feelings, but great excitement my husband and I decided it was time to start a formal HLS Cottage School in SC. At this time, only two of my current co/op families are planning to participatein the Cottage School, but the Lord has been so faithful to bring along new families. One mom said “we are so thankful you have decided to start the Cottage School. We have been looking for something like this in our area and just didn’t think it would happen.” Another new mom said “This is such an answer to our prayers”. I hope this encourages you. It was really a leap of faith on our part, and I wish I could tell you it’s easy to start a Cottage School, but realistically it is a lot of work! However, if you choose to take the plunge, the MP staff is remarkable, especially Ryan Weston! Bless his soul...I know he runs when he sees my name pop up on his email!

I’m all honesty, though....I think you may just need to really pray through where the Lord is leading you and what is best for your family. HE is faithful! Change is hard, but it is healing too!

All the best,
              Elisabeth

(P.S.—I would do tags if I knew how... I have three kids...ages 6,3, and 4 months)
              Elisabeth

DS-7, MP 1
              DD-4
              DD-10 months

Highlands Latin Cottage School Anderson
              HighlandsLatin.org/Anderson

Comment

Originally posted by Elisabeth View Post
                Maria,

That is such a tough situation, and I can relate to you on many levels. I took over a preschool cooperative and have directed it for three years. I took it over while making it known to the families that I intended to extend it for the Primary and later Grammar School Grades using a Classical approach. During my second year, we transitioned to using Memoria Press in the Primary Grades (with the Enrichment Guides) with the intent to use it each year as we added a grade and to add in Latin with 2nd grade and up. Long story short, the families are “all on board” and continued to enroll enthusiastically, but would not complete the homework and only a small portion used MP at home. They enjoyed the social time and “classroom atmosphere” for their kids. This year we also received some pushback from some moms who wanted to infuse more Charlotte Mason into the co/op and less “work”. My husband and I would talk regularly about my frustrations, and he always encouraged me to ask “Is this working for us? Is this what we want for our children? Or are you keeping the co/op going because of your fear of man and what they will think of you if you don’t need continue it?” It became very clear this year that the long term vision of the moms did not align with our own, especially in the area of Latin. We even really tried to encourage the moms to see the full picture and benefits of a Classical Education by organizing a “Moms Book Club” meeting for coffee once each month and reading through “The Liberal Arts Tradition”. We had about 25 percent of the moms attend regularly and even within that group, it was still about 50/50 for who thought Latin was important. SOOOOO with mixed feelings, but great excitement my husband and I decided it was time to start a formal HLS Cottage School in SC. At this time, only two of my current co/op families are planning to participatein the Cottage School, but the Lord has been so faithful to bring along new families. One mom said “we are so thankful you have decided to start the Cottage School. We have been looking for something like this in our area and just didn’t think it would happen.” Another new mom said “This is such an answer to our prayers”. I hope this encourages you. It was really a leap of faith on our part, and I wish I could tell you it’s easy to start a Cottage School, but realistically it is a lot of work! However, if you choose to take the plunge, the MP staff is remarkable, especially Ryan Weston! Bless his soul...I know he runs when he sees my name pop up on his email!

I’m all honesty, though....I think you may just need to really pray through where the Lord is leading you and what is best for your family. HE is faithful! Change is hard, but it is healing too!

All the best,
                Elisabeth

(P.S.—I would do tags if I knew how... I have three kids...ages 6,3, and 4 months)
                Thanks for this Elisabeth- I admire your efforts in starting a cottage school. It might be possible here if there were families who had older kids, my kids age, who were interested in joining an HLS school. I feel starting a cottage school would have to benefit my own children, I have worried that was selfish of me, but I have come to realize it is not. As it is, I think I, ro someone, could start one for very young kids, possibly- there are a number of larger families with preschool and younger elementary kids who are not sure what do to for school, and might be quite interested, and willing to take on the academic rigor, as it builds- and I really wish I could do it for them. I actually wish my kids were their age. However, I know I wouldn't be able to effectively run that, and homeschool my own kids alone at home as we head into the middle and highschool years- and I just don't think there would be any families with older kids interested in joining me, and paying something for it (because it would have to cost something in order to run effectively)

In fact, it was my reasoning for starting the Latin tutorial, to see if there would be interest. I figured, start with the hardest sell, but also the subject that seems most crucial to having an actual classical school- Latin- and then, if that subject takes off, we can certainly build from there. But that subject didn't take off...there is lackluster interest in it, from the feedback I've been getting from participants. So now I'm kind of back to zero, wondering what is next for my own kids, as well as the kids involved in the tutorial. They actually do the music work- because they know they have to, or the teacher will freak out. But Latin- some do it, some don't, and some do it, but their parents are not at all happy about continuing to make them do it in the future, and seem ready to stop- or maybe take French or something instead. You are absolutely right and I thank you for the reminder to pray about it more. I will do so. I really appreciate your input, and all who have responded. I'm sorry I didn't get back specifically to allthe posts, but I appreciate!
                DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Working...
                X