Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

    I am so glad to see the charter/secular site up and running! We left our charter over MP a couple (few?) years back. It was totally worth it, but I'm glad that other families have the option for materials through their charters and MP users who wish to teach religion entirely separately can do so.

    I had a question about the lessons in the Introduction to Latin books; it came up on the Well Trained Mind boards. The website says 25 lessons; is that 25 with reviews after every five lessons, or are the review lessons omitted?

    thank you again for continuing to improve your materials and develop them for more users!

    ETA:more questions:
    1. Is Christian Studies replaced with another subject, or omitted?
    2. Are literature guides the same? History? Classical studies?

    and again: I really appreciate the work done on this and the flexibility it offers.
    Last edited by serendipitous journey; 04-04-2018, 09:24 PM.
    Ana, mama to
    ds A, 13yo
    ds N, 8yo

    #2
    Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

    Didn't know there was a secular site for memoria press materials. My question is have the first/second/third form been revamped to eliminate the need for fourth form? The materials there show first, second, third, and Caesar. The regular path requires a year of fourth form and a year of Henle 2 exercises before being ready for the Caesar text shown.
    Dorinda

    For 2019-2020
    DD 16 - 11th with MPOA(AP Latin), Lukeion (Greek4 & Adv. NT Greek), Thinkwell (Economics and Chemistry), plus Pre-Calculus, American G’ment, Early Church History set, and British Lit
    DS 14 - 8th with MPOA(Fourth Form), CLRC(Intro Lit and Comp), plus Algebra, Field Biology, Classical Studies 1
    DS 11 - 6th with Right Start Level G online class
    DS 6 - 1st with Prima Latina

    Comment


      #3
      Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

      Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
      My question is have the first/second/third form been revamped to eliminate the need for fourth form?
      Fourth Form Latin has not been eliminated. It's simply still being written!
      Michael
      Memoria Press

      Comment


        #4
        Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

        Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
        Didn't know there was a secular site for memoria press materials. My question is have the first/second/third form been revamped to eliminate the need for fourth form? The materials there show first, second, third, and Caesar. The regular path requires a year of fourth form and a year of Henle 2 exercises before being ready for the Caesar text shown.
        Fourth Form includes some Henle, and Henle is definitely Christian. About half of it is Caesar, but the other half is from the Latin Vulgate bible, I think. ETA: Michael was in ahead of me!

        I think the option to buy from the charter side is great. When I talk to people about MP, there is always concern about the "flavor" of Christianity in MP. Lots of homeschoolers have been burned by homeschool materials with an agenda. We have. MP is the only materials we use for the homeschool market anymore, and I guess it is really created for a school and adapted for us.

        When I had my cottage school, I had two Jewish students. It would have been nice to easily see which products didn't contain Christian references.
        Bean. Long time MP user.

        DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

        Comment


          #5
          Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

          Hello.

          The charter materials are all the same with as few edits made as possible. We have not added any subjects.

          Our goal is to infiltrate charter schools with materials that are filled with truth, beauty, and goodness. Even though we can't actively present the Gospel in charter schools, we feel that our books are God-infused since they were created by Christians and from a Christian perspective. You can remove explicit references to God, but the Truth is still there. I like to compare us to missionaries in China. Our primary goal has to be to the children, and these children are in a situation where they can't receive the Gospel in school. But we can still fill them with goodness through our materials and hope that as they learn to think well, they will be able to discern the Truth that guides our lives and theirs.

          I have dealt with lots of classical charter schools in the last few years, and every one of them is filled with administration that is Christian. I'm sure there are others that aren't, but the ones attracted to MP are. And they want to present the best curriculum to their students that is Christian-based.

          Oops. Taking off. Have to stop now!

          Tanya

          Comment


            #6
            Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

            Originally posted by serendipitous journey View Post
            I had a question about the lessons in the Introduction to Latin books ... The website says 25 lessons; is that 25 with reviews after every five lessons, or are the review lessons omitted?
            Originally posted by tanya View Post
            The charter materials are all the same with as few edits made as possible.
            Illustrating Tanya's above point, there are 25 "regular" Lessons and five Review Lessons, the same as in Prima Latina. HTH!
            Michael
            Memoria Press

            Comment


              #7
              Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

              Originally posted by tanya View Post
              Hello.

              The charter materials are all the same with as few edits made as possible. We have not added any subjects.

              Our goal is to infiltrate charter schools with materials that are filled with truth, beauty, and goodness. Even though we can't actively present the Gospel in charter schools, we feel that our books are God-infused since they were created by Christians and from a Christian perspective. You can remove explicit references to God, but the Truth is still there. I like to compare us to missionaries in China. Our primary goal has to be to the children, and these children are in a situation where they can't receive the Gospel in school. But we can still fill them with goodness through our materials and hope that as they learn to think well, they will be able to discern the Truth that guides our lives and theirs.

              I have dealt with lots of classical charter schools in the last few years, and every one of them is filled with administration that is Christian. I'm sure there are others that aren't, but the ones attracted to MP are. And they want to present the best curriculum to their students that is Christian-based.

              Oops. Taking off. Have to stop now!

              Tanya
              Tanya said this beautifully, so I don’t have much to add to the “missionary” aspect. But I love this option. It eliminates a lot of work for charter schools, non-religious customers or customers of other faiths. It’s serving more prospective students and teachers in more markets. It’s a great business move. And when students delve more deeply into the material, they will encounter Christ. He’s there; latent, ambient, ready to bloom in the hearts of students. This is not a denial of Him, it’s a way to introduce Him. Well done, MP.
              Boy Wonder: 10, MP2/SC4 (Special Needs)
              Joy Bubble: 8, MP2 (Special Needs)
              Snuggly Cowboy: 6, MPK
              Sweet Lightness: 2, Reverse-Engineering Specialist

              “Have no fear of moving into the unknown. Simply step out fearlessly knowing that I am with you, therefore no harm can befall you; all is very, very well. Do this in complete faith and confidence.”
              ~Pope St John Paul II

              Comment


                #8
                Re: question about the [charter/public school] Introduction to Latin

                It's taken me a bit to get back to this: thanks, Michael, for the information. I'm so glad for this option! What a grace to have it.
                Ana, mama to
                ds A, 13yo
                ds N, 8yo

                Comment

                Working...
                X