Second Grade (Music) - Week 27 "Der Erlkönig" (The Erlking) Schubert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second Grade (Music) - Week 27 "Der Erlkönig" (The Erlking) Schubert

Could someone please explain what was the reasoning behind this choice for a second grader? What was the purpose? We are having a hard time understanding the beauty, virtue and wisdom of the Erkling. We had to do some research on our own and wish there was more explanation in the Enrichment Guide or some type of warning that the child died at the beginning!

Thanks!
    MG
    ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

Re: Second Grade (Music) - Week 27 "Der Erlkönig" (The Erlking) Schubert

Hello.

I have forwarded your post to Patrick Fata, who chose this piece of music. I'll let you know when I have his response.

Thanks,

Tanya

Comment

Hello.

Here's Patrick's response to your inquiry. If you have further questions, we're glad to answer them. I just couldn't answer a technical question about a particular piece of music, so thanks for your patience as I sought help!

The purpose of the music enrichment course is to introduce students to the most important music of Western civilization. The chosen pieces are then further studied in the music appreciation course, which spans 3rd through 6th grades.
      The Erlking, of the more than 600 songs that Schubert wrote, is widely considered one of the most significant works of the Romantic period because of the compositional mastery he demonstrated in bringing the poem to life through music and because of its enduring popularity. As the father of a 2nd grader, I understand that some subjects can be difficult. But I also believe that, just like the story of Moses in Exodus is taught at a young age even though it includes the deaths of many infants, children will grow in their understanding of life through stories and art.

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by MG_ View Post
        Could someone please explain what was the reasoning behind this choice for a second grader? What was the purpose? We are having a hard time understanding the beauty, virtue and wisdom of the Erkling. We had to do some research on our own and wish there was more explanation in the Enrichment Guide or some type of warning that the child died at the beginning!

Thanks!
        MG
        Christ is risen! (on the new calendar)

I shouldn't be reading the forum this morning but am taking a short break... and couldn't resist responding to your thought-provoking post. It does seem like a funny piece to study in second grade, I remember studying it at university level. It's spooky. Faeries of death. But I wanted to speak more to your comment about finding beauty, virtue, and wisdom in things like this. Granted, it may not be age-appropriate, and for that answer we'll have to wait for the response to the question Tanya asked the author. I suspect it probably has to do with developing early, a sense of musical literacy, by just listening to the different periods of music and getting used to their particular "sound" at a time in the child's life when the ears are still primed for training. Also it is good to be able to listen and identify at this age the emotions int eh music...is it spooky, sad, peaceful, joyful? But I haven't seen the text by Mr. Fata..

But I would like to offer encouragement, that while not everything you encounter in classical education will explicitly teach truth beauty and goodness, there is always an underlying theme or message in the works studied that will lead you there. For example, with an older child, using this piece you would be able to understand better, Romanticism- and discover the mentality of the composers of that time frame- what were they thinking, what lead them to want to express those things, (whether we ourselves find the things expressed particularly true, good, or beautiful, or not- it is certainly true that they wanted to express them!) You will discover some truth about the mentality of artists and humanity at that time, was this mentality leading them towards or away from G-d, the church- or was it an expression of something else? How did this play out in history, where did humanist thought, romanticism lead us? For good, or for ill- or, for some of each?

You likely know all this already, but I just thought I'd throw it out there for consideration...HTH..

Maria
        Last edited by Girlnumber20; 04-04-2018, 10:24 AM.
        DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
        DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

oops cross-posted! sorry Tanya!
          DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
          DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Maria,

No problem! Your response mirrors Patrick's, so you were two minds thinking alike!

Thanks for posting!

Tanya

Comment

Thank you Tanya and Maria, I appreciate the comments and prompt response. I agree to disagree with this one
              ***4A and 7A cores for 2019-2020***

Comment

Working...
              X