Latin "resume" for college applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latin "resume" for college applications

I would appreciate any insights from this forum.

My daughter is a 9th grader who has been studying Latin since she was in the 3rd grade. She has earned 4 gold medals in the NLE and is a top scorer/3 gold medals for the Classical Literacy Exam. She has done the equivalent of Latin 1, Latin 2, Latin 3, and plans to do Latin 4 and AP Latin before she graduates. She will be attending her first Latin State Convention in a few weeks. Latin is one of her favorite subjects (in no small reason, due to the Memoria Press curriculum that we used for many years) and she is thinking of continuing to take Latin at college level.

Now that the college application process is getting closer, a college counselor has recommended (given her good track record in Latin) that she continue to build her Latin resume, perhaps by writing or publishing articles, or finding other ways in which she can distinguish herself on her Latin track, other than just academics.

I was wondering if anyone could share opinions, thoughts, and insights, about how she could go about doing this, and finding additional ways to build her Latin track record. Thank you!

Re: Latin "resume" for college applications

Her track record with Latin seems pretty distinguished to me as it stands with no additions! Did the college counselor make any suggestions of what this would look like?

Looking forward to what others have to add here for suggestions.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
    @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
    D · 8th
    D · 5th
    S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
      Her track record with Latin seems pretty distinguished to me as it stands with no additions! Did the college counselor make any suggestions of what this would look like?

Looking forward to what others have to add here for suggestions.
      Thank you for your reply.

Based on the fact that she likes Latin, seems to be doing well and is on an advanced track, the counselor has recommended building on this to make her stand out more on a college application. Even he was unsure about what form that might take and that's why I turned to this forum for ideas and thoughts.

Some of the things he suggested was writing Latin poetry (???), publishing articles in some magazine of note....Again, I think he was just throwing ideas out there but not fully sure himself.

Comment

I think sticking with Latin through 12th grade, taking AP Latin, and continuing to nail the NLE year by year are a great start. There are immersive Latin summer camps if you have the time and money to consider those (check out University of Kentucky in Lexington for starters). Knowing what HLS puts on their transcripts will be instructive. I'm sure someone from MP will chime in with that!

Knowing where she plans to apply to college can be helpful as well. Some will take AP test scores for credit and others will not. Some will provide their own tests for placement/awarding credit. If the school is serious about the classics and Latin, then you probably won't have to song and dance yourself through hoops to prove she knows her stuff. Her courses, scores, NLE awards, and perseverance will speak the language they are looking for. My guess is that this is more the method that HLS relies on.
        Last edited by pickandgrin; 04-03-2018, 02:57 PM.
        Festina lentē,
        Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
        S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
        D · 8th
        D · 5th
        S · 2nd

Comment

Hello.

Our students have their Latin credits on their transcripts and their awards on the NLE and their score on the AP Latin exam. I agree with Jessica that this is sufficient and impressive! The fact is that your daughter's ACT/SAT scores will probably be high in the verbal area too, so that's just another plus. I would just continue with Latin and enjoy it. The benefits will go beyond college acceptance.

Tanya

Comment

Congrats on your daughter's accomplishments!

The only thought I had is that if she likes Latin and wants to add something to her Latin "resume," she could volunteer to tutor younger Latin students, or even start her own tutoring business as time goes on. Or she could start a Latin Club. Those kinds of things look really good on applications. However, I would only encourage her to do it if she thinks it would be fun as an extracurricular activity. Otherwise, just sticking with her current path will look plenty impressive!

All the best!
            Kristin

Comment

Good ideas!

Comment

Originally posted by klwalukas View Post
                Congrats on your daughter's accomplishments!

The only thought I had is that if she likes Latin and wants to add something to her Latin "resume," she could volunteer to tutor younger Latin students, or even start her own tutoring business as time goes on. Or she could start a Latin Club. Those kinds of things look really good on applications. However, I would only encourage her to do it if she thinks it would be fun as an extracurricular activity. Otherwise, just sticking with her current path will look plenty impressive!

All the best!
                Kristin

Thank you for those suggestions Kristen. They definitely give some good food for thought and new ideas.

Comment

Just a word of encouragement here.

Latin remains the college transcript currency for highly accomplished students, verbal *or* math. My oldest son, MIT graduate, once told me that roughly 40% of his classmates had 4 years of high school Latin as their foreign language study, even though they were (obviously) heading for engineering fields.

At great schools, Latin is recognized not as "a dead language", but as the language of the highly educated. Your daughter will stand out no matter where she applies with her current "resume".

Jen
                  DS, 26 yrs, graduated from MIT (Aerospace), recently completed the design and execution of unhackable military software... in his spare time.

DS, 24 yrs, graduated from SIU's School of Business, ENGAGED!

DD, 21 yrs, Senior in Education at The Catholic University of America in Washington, DC

DS, 11 yrs, 6M: complete!

All homeschooled.

Comment

Jen,
                    I always appreciate your insights from your older children's experiences! Thanks for this. How encouraging!
                    Festina lentē,
                    Jessica P

@ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                    S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                    D · 8th
                    D · 5th
                    S · 2nd

Comment

The upcoming Latin convention that you mentioned sounds like a wonderful time for your daughter. I agree with the opinion that she need not take any further action beyond her Latin studies. But, if she would like to explore possibilities, she might find some ideas at the convention in talking to other students about their activities -- whether anyone is doing Latin Club, tutoring, etc., activities that Kristin mentioned-- and which they found worthwhile.

If she would like to write an article, perhaps the Convention organization has a publication or website and would like to have a vivid, positive account of the convention from a student's point of view. But again, I agree with others that she should pursue this type of thing only as far as she would like. Just attending the Convention is an extra activity. I hope that she has a grand time!

Bonnie

Comment

Originally posted by snsh5713 View Post
                        She will be attending her first Latin State Convention in a few weeks. Latin is one of her favorite subjects (in no small reason, due to the Memoria Press curriculum that we used for many years) and she is thinking of continuing to take Latin at college level.
                        I went to State Latin Forum many times as a kid and loved it! There are a gazillion things there that might catch her interest - Latin or classical world related crafts, costumes, academic contests, speeches, certamen (quiz bowl like game), etc. And then goofy "olympics" events too that are just plain fun. These sorts of things bridge other interest areas too - for example, one year I made a book of constellations with their related myths, and each page was wired to light up LEDs as stars. I learned a fair amount about circuitry for a Latin project. And I entered the costume contest every year and learned a lot of sewing/embroidery skills that way.

She may finds something there to build her Latin "resume." Best of luck to her, and I hope she has a blast!!
                        Amanda
                        Mama to three crazy boys - 6A, 5A, 1

"Non nisi te, Domine. Non nisi te" - St. Thomas Aquinas

Comment

Just a thought: have you considered reaching out to the admissions offices at colleges of interest, and asking them what they'd suggest?

The admissions folks are often helpful. As a general rule, they want to help their college find students who will thrive there, and they are happy to help a homeschooler ensure that a child's transcript really reflects her achievements and potential (again -- usually. I'm sure there are exceptions!). Also, the admissions office will have a sense of what the admissions committee cares about and what they'll pass over.

I agree that it doesn't seem like the child's Latin record needs boosting. And, if other classically-educated high schoolers are any thing to go by, her time will only become more precious each year.
                          Ana, mama to
                          ds A, 13yo
                          ds N, 8yo

Comment

Working...
                          X