Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we do EGR instead of Rod and Staff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should we do EGR instead of Rod and Staff?

We really love R&S here. I love the thorough explanations for the concepts, and it really doesn't take us very long each day. My son, however, is really struggling with it this year. I'm wondering if EGR would be a better fit? He's doing R&S 4 this year, but I don't feel like much of it has "stuck." I'm considering starting in EGR I with him next year as a 5th grader. Does that sound right? Or should we just go through this book again next year?

I'm worried about the question/ recitation part of EGR because he absolutely dreads answering the grammar questions for FFL, too. He's great with math and memorization, it just seems like grammar in general (with both English and Latin) is too abstract for the way his brain works right now.
    2018/2019
    Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
    Ds 10: MP 5M
    Ds 5: MP K

Re: Should we do EGR instead of Rod and Staff?

Angela,

Your concerns are exactly the problem with analytical grammar in the early years - and why you aren't really seeing progress in your student. I once taught the same class at HLS for 2 years - 5th grade, and then I moved up with them to 6th. I knew that I had done a thorough job teaching their grammar class (using R&S), but when they got to 6th grade, it was like they had never seen any of it before. Interesting. So, when I taught a lesson, they could easily follow the pattern and find the direct objects in an exercise, but they couldn't apply that outside of those targeted exercises, and they didn't retain the information. I had to reteach it, and then they could do it again - in that moment. Latin does a much better job of this. It is inflected, so once you teach the student that the direct object in a Latin sentence is in the accusative case, they can always find it! So we use Latin to teach English grammar. Then, we connect that to English through EGR. This has really streamlined grammar for us and is working well. Your student may not enjoy memorizing the rules (and honestly, he could just read the recitation aloud daily and he will learn them without too much effort). But the majority of his grammar application will be in Latin class.

I've just written this entire thing with the assumption that you are doing Latin. If you aren't, I need to start again!

Tanya

Comment

Yes, he does Latin. Right now he is on lesson 25 of FFL. His memorization is perfect: he can rattle off the recitation with no problems. Applying it is another matter. Even Latin grammar seems to be a struggle, and I don't think he has a clue what he is actually saying when he answers the Grammar Questions every day.

I'm happy to backtrack and start EGR at the beginning. Or maybe he needs to just keep going and eventually the light bulb will come on? How important is mastery at this grade?
      2018/2019
      Dd 12: MP 7A and First Form Greek
      Ds 10: MP 5M
      Ds 5: MP K

Comment

Your son has mastered what we would ask of a FFL student: the grammar forms and vocabulary. The application is a more abstract concept and will take longer to achieve. That is totally normal. FFL is an introduction to the application of what he has learned, but he will continue to practice translation and will get there. No rush on that. Just keep plugging away on the grammar forms and vocabulary for mastery, and consider the translation to be practice toward fluency.

If you want to start EGR at the beginning, you will give him the opportunity for mastery there that might be a good confidence builder.

Tanya

Comment

Working...
        X