First Start Reading, Book C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Start Reading, Book C

My older K'er just completed the First Start Reading Book C. She is ecstatic to have checked this book off as completed and move on to Book D, however she does NOT have a firm grasp on the sight words introduced in this book. She's getting there, but these sight words are a bit slower to stay in the brain (no learning issues, just reading isn't her thing). I'm debating whether I should move forward and start the work in Book D, or take the next few days and just focus in on the sight words she is not remember well. We have a scheduled break next week (woot woot - Midwest GHC convention!), and I could easily just spend these next few days going over and helping to cement the sight words. Thoughts?
    Peace and all good,
    Tricia

2018/2019
    DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
    DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
    DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
    DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
    ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Re: First Start Reading, Book C

Since you said reading isn’t her thing, I’d take the time to do the review.

One of my favorite sight word review games is slap it. Using a file folder, draw large squares on both “pages” of the inside. Inside the each square write a different word. The kid gets a fly swatter preferably a clean one and slaps the words as you call them out. My kids think it’s great fun to get to hit the folder.

Another game we play is sight word Candyland. It’s a bit more work but I like it for summer review. Create cards using cut up index cards with the sight words written in the colors of the different spaces on the board. Depending on how much practice you want you can mix in regular cards. As they get sight word cards they have to read the word to move their piece.

HTH! And enjoy your break next week!
    Heidi

2018-19
    dd- 3m
    ds- SC 1
    dd- SC B

Comment

I agree with the take a week and focus on the sight words. Mastery is the goal. So, review the words with Flashcards, dictate them for writing on a white board. Play games! Write sentences on the board and have her read them. Read other stories from Fun in the Sun or Scamp and Tramp and be a word detective keeping track of how many of the common words appear! Hide the word cards around the house. Let her find and read the words.

Have a fun week! Be sure to come see us in the MP booth next weekend.

Blessings,
      Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by VAmom View Post
        Since you said reading isn’t her thing, I’d take the time to do the review.

One of my favorite sight word review games is slap it. Using a file folder, draw large squares on both “pages” of the inside. Inside the each square write a different word. The kid gets a fly swatter preferably a clean one and slaps the words as you call them out. My kids think it’s great fun to get to hit the folder.

Another game we play is sight word Candyland. It’s a bit more work but I like it for summer review. Create cards using cut up index cards with the sight words written in the colors of the different spaces on the board. Depending on how much practice you want you can mix in regular cards. As they get sight word cards they have to read the word to move their piece.

HTH! And enjoy your break next week!

Hi! Thanks for the game ideas! I'm such a drill and kill kind of mom that I forget to have the fun with the learning! She'll probably pick it up quick if she gets to whack at the words.
        Peace and all good,
        Tricia

2018/2019
        DD, 24, public K-12 and baby stepping toward independence.
        DS, 17, dual enrollment with local community college.
        DS, 15, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
        DD, 13, MPOA Latin, mix of everything else.
        DD, 07, MP1/MP2

"Pray, hope, and don't worry. Worry is useless. God is merciful and will hear your prayer."
        ~ Saint. Padre Pio

Comment

Working...
        X