Question about MP Kindergarten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about MP Kindergarten

Just wondering how long it takes to finish MP Kindergarten each day, on average.

Re: Question about MP Kindergarten

When we released it, we thought it would take 3-4 hrs a day, but we have had thorough feedback that it only takes 2 hrs a day.

Tanya

Comment

It's taking my gung-ho kindergartener no more than an hour each day. She's a fast worker and doesn't have any learning issues. It was taking a bit less than that, but I've added in review of the previous day's material now that we are reading. I've also added in some hands on materials to reinforce her work. We're using a movable alphabet, little paper cards I made of word families and the sight words, and we also use a little white board or sandbox everyday.

Blessings,
      Lisa
      Lisa in Jax
      Mom to:
      Allison (26 graduated from homeschool)
      Jonathan (24 graduated from homeschool)
      Genevieve (15 using MP 7th)
      Isaac (13 using MP first time 4th)
      Sophia (11 using MP 3rd grade)
      David (8 using MP 1st grade)
      Charlotte (6 using MPK)

Comment

I will also add that how long it takes can be affected by the willingness of your kindergartner, and whether or not you have other children at home.

Some children seem to "like" school from day one, and are therefore interested and eager no matter what you are doing. These children seem to move from one activity to another with ease, and you can often get a lot done with them in a very short amount of time - hence the ability to get the K program done within an hour or two. But there are also children who are not as interested in school work, or who may enjoy an activity, but then are "done" - that is, they have lost interest altogether. These children will need more breaks, a wider variety of activities for reinforcement, and different things to keep their attention. Even spacing out the work throughout the day helps until they develop longer attention spans.

The other issue is whether you have other children at home. Some K'ers can be completely derailed by frequent interruptions - whether they are from older siblings asking questions, or from younger siblings seeking attention or playing separately. This will play into how quickly you are able to make progress through a day's work as well.

Some days our K is done in an hour; other days we have to break things up so that we are not done with everything until snack time in the afternoon. It just depends. But the amount of work that is scheduled is really appropriate for this age group.

AMDG,
        Sarah
        2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
        DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
        DS, 16
        DD, 14
        DD, 12
        DD, 10
        DD, 7.5
        DD, 5.5
        +DS+
        DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
          I will also add that how long it takes can be affected by the willingness of your kindergartner, and whether or not you have other children at home.

Some children seem to "like" school from day one, and are therefore interested and eager no matter what you are doing. These children seem to move from one activity to another with ease, and you can often get a lot done with them in a very short amount of time - hence the ability to get the K program done within an hour or two. But there are also children who are not as interested in school work, or who may enjoy an activity, but then are "done" - that is, they have lost interest altogether. These children will need more breaks, a wider variety of activities for reinforcement, and different things to keep their attention. Even spacing out the work throughout the day helps until they develop longer attention spans.

The other issue is whether you have other children at home. Some K'ers can be completely derailed by frequent interruptions - whether they are from older siblings asking questions, or from younger siblings seeking attention or playing separately. This will play into how quickly you are able to make progress through a day's work as well.

Some days our K is done in an hour; other days we have to break things up so that we are not done with everything until snack time in the afternoon. It just depends. But the amount of work that is scheduled is really appropriate for this age group.

AMDG,
          Sarah
          Definitely, Sarah! My 5yo is the youngest of 7, but she's the most focused child I've ever seen. My 7yo takes much longer to complete his work. He's highly distracted but his brothers and sisters and definitely would not have been able to finish the K course in an hour. He's doing 1st grade now and I have to build in lots of breaks.
          Lisa in Jax
          Mom to:
          Allison (26 graduated from homeschool)
          Jonathan (24 graduated from homeschool)
          Genevieve (15 using MP 7th)
          Isaac (13 using MP first time 4th)
          Sophia (11 using MP 3rd grade)
          David (8 using MP 1st grade)
          Charlotte (6 using MPK)

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I agree with what has been listed above and have found that to be true in our own house as well. Another thing to consider is whether or not you are doing me a literature and enrichment portion each day. If you do that, you should expect it to take longer. Also, some families put all the literature and enrichment in one block in one afternoon some day during the week. Another consideration is if you are taking time to do the full oral recitation, same for poetry. Because they get longer towards the end of the year that alone can take 15 to 30 minutes at the end of the year. Not because it can't be faster, but naturally some days are slower than others. Ask me how I know..ha!

I sit with my Ker 1.5-2 hours a day and we don't do the science/history/culture read alouds/activities on Thursday/Friday. Those are covered Monday at our cottage school.

One thing I add daily is the flashcard review before both reading and math. We flip quickly through each complete stack as a warm up. That is recommended in the guides, but not listed in the daily check boxes. Our stack is getting big with each subject this time of year, so I read/solve every other one. It keeps the pace quicker and fatigue down. With my average reader, it's been a brilliant way to help him gear up for each subject each day. Previous kiddos haven't needed it as much.

Now that I have more classroom experience, I have a better idea of how much is too much for one kid in one day. I look for fatigue and jump in with help when needed. In previous years I made them battle through on their own. Now I'm realizing more they'd have peers to help carry some of that load in a classroom setting.

HTH!
              Last edited by pickandgrin; 04-02-2018, 12:56 PM.
              Festina lentē,
              Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
              @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
              S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
              D · 8th
              D · 5th
              S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

Working...
              X