Phonics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phonics

I have read Cheryl's phonics articles and agree with them. However, I don't see where memoria press teaches all the phonograms as first start reading does not go through all of them. Are the remaining phonograms covered in 1st and 2nd grade phonics and spelling? Could someone tell me where? Would one miss some of them using a different spelling program?

Re: Phonics

All of the phonograms in Classical Phonics are covered in the Phonics Guide for Reading and Spelling either with the first or second grade literature, but many times not. Most all are covered in Traditional Spelling though there may be one or two advanced ones that were reserved for introduction in third grade.

Blessings, Michelle T

Comment

Thanks. I am trying to figure out how your spelling and reading compares to AAR+AAS. With I like but have a few reservations about....

Comment

Originally posted by Fwm23 View Post
        Thanks. I am trying to figure out how your spelling and reading compares to AAR+AAS. With I like but have a few reservations about....
        Good morning,

Here are some links to the Tables of Contents for First Start Reading and Traditional Spelling to give you an idea of our phonics and spelling scope and sequence:

Kindergarten: First Start Reading Books A-D
        First Grade: FSR Book E and Traditional Spelling I
        Second Grade: Traditional Spelling II

For a sample of the additional phonetic work in the literature guides, here are links to samples of StoryTime Treasures (First Grade) and Animal Folk Tales of America (Second Grade).

I hope these samples help you compare and contrast our materials with AAR+AAS. Of course, if you have more questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
        Michael
        Memoria Press

Comment

Originally posted by Fwm23 View Post
          I hope the samples Michael shared with you will help you see how the MP materials fit together. Something to keep in mind (which has come up in another thread recently as well) is that MP’s materials have all been developed with each other in mind - meaning that it is not as easy to just pull one piece out and say, “this is Spelling” and “this is phonics.” MP takes a much more natural, cohesive approach, so that when you do the full Language Arts curriculum for each grade, you are working on all the skills you need - phonics, Spelling, comprehension, reasoning, writing, etc - at the same time. Each item of the curriculum builds off and reinforces the other. It is harder to make a comparison between AAR/AAS because those were developed to be independent of each other, so that if you wanted to use one and not the other, you could. MP did not intend for their products to be independent of each other. It is still possible to pull one component out and use it without the whole LA’s program, but you will not get the benefit of the cohesiveness that’s possible when you simply do the entire LA’s component of each grade. This is where so many of us finally found relief from the "overkill" effect of piecing together curriculum. I used to spend a great deal more time on school than we needed to at this age because I was pulling things together myself. The way MP does it is actually very efficient so that the time we spend together is really quality over quantity.

HTHs!
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          Last edited by KF2000; 03-26-2018, 10:09 AM.
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

I am glad that this thread has come up today! I have been weighing this exact question in my mind. We came to MP when my oldest was in 3rd grade, and I had all of the AAS and AAR materials. My third child started MP K this year, using AAR instead of FSR, and honestly trying to piece in what I already have on hand is a giant pain. I think I'll forgo the AAS and AAR (even though I already own it ) just for the sake of cohesion not second guessing myself (is he getting enough practice etc.). Thanks for the discussion it was perfectly timed for us.
            DD-11 yr MP 5
            DD-9yr MP 4
            DS-7yr K/1st-speech therapy
            DD-5yr SC-B Down Syndrome, daily therapies, and specializing in her life's work of being adored

Comment

Working...
            X