X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KF2000
    replied
    Re: New here-help with a few questions regarding K-2 please

If it helps, a good way to see how the various books fit together into “subject” categories is to look at the sample pages of the Curriculum Manual. Everything that is within the same content area will be within the same row of the CG spread out across the week.

*ETA: I just double-checked this myself...and realized they only show you the first week of school...which starts out slowly, and does not show that much actual "work." But it still gives you the idea of a how a few of the pieces are used. Another idea might be to simply order a Curriculum Manual for each grade, or the individual lesson plans, and you can see how it all fits together before you decide on the whole kit and caboodle.*

It can be a bit tricky to figure out simply because AAR and AAS are clear cut, separate items that you can pick and plug into any curriculum you are using for other things. Memoria Press did not develop their programs to be like that. All of the courses published by MP have come from their writers and instructors at Highlands Latin School...so they have been intended to be used altogether as an entire curriculum of its own. To try to isolate one piece of it and call it “reading” or “phonics” or “spelling” is not as easy as with other programs. All the components of the K, 1, and 2 Language Arts are intended to be used together for the greatest benefit. But this is a much more thorough approach over all, and is why so many of us are committed to the full cores. By using the entire curriculum, instead of pieces, it all fits and flows really easily.

I understand wanting to stick with something you have, and that is familiar to you. I don’t know if you have a way to get to a convention to see the MP materials in person, but also keep in mind that they offer a 60 day money back guarantee. You could always order the materials to see them in person and get a feel for them, and then if you still aren’t convinced, just send them back.

Lastly, I wanted to address your question about the Christian Studies program as a Catholic. The CS program is a Bible history program to teach children the major events, people, and time periods of the Bible. Students in the primary years read the stories and answer discussion questions to build familiarity. Then in 3rd through 6th, they go through the entire Bible to really study facts, stories, and information. Then in the CS IV, they review the entire Bible again using a “real” adult Bible. It is an excellent program, and is suitable for both Catholics and Protestants. My kids know so much more about the Bible (and read it more frequently) than I ever did in 12 years of Catholic school! Then you would also want to add in your Catholic religion studies, whether you do it yourself, or you follow what your parish prescribes.

AMDG,
    Sarah
    Last edited by KF2000; 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM.

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Ok, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly since I'm coming from AAR.

So my Kinder's phonics/reading curriculum is First Start Reading
    My 1st grader's is Storytime Treasures and my 2nd graders is the Lit guides.

Here are my questions then: Is there specific phonics instruction in Storytime Treasures? Meaning, if I'm doing this in place of AAR, I'm nervous that there is no hard core phonics. Same with 2nd grade...is the phonics instruction over? I don't think my guy is quite ready to be over. Or is it assumed that they get all of their phonics in K and 1st?
    Yes! Check out the teacher samples for Storytime/More Storytime. https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...Ed.-Sample.pdf

The second grade teacher guides do the same. Phonics instruction ends after 2nd.

Additional phonics in the spelling.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Ok, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly since I'm coming from AAR.

So my Kinder's phonics/reading curriculum is First Start Reading
    My 1st grader's is Storytime Treasures and my 2nd graders is the Lit guides.

Here are my questions then: Is there specific phonics instruction in Storytime Treasures? Meaning, if I'm doing this in place of AAR, I'm nervous that there is no hard core phonics. Same with 2nd grade...is the phonics instruction over? I don't think my guy is quite ready to be over. Or is it assumed that they get all of their phonics in K and 1st?

Leave a comment:

• howiecram
    replied

Thinking about Storytime Treasures...is this something I could do with all 3, or would I just use it with my first grader? Many people are telling me that my 2nd grader shouldn't miss out on the literature, so it looks like I'll be doing that with him. And, as a Catholic, can you tell me a little more about Christian Studies in relation to Catholicism?
    Storytime treasures is really specific for a 1st grader. It is a vast amount of their Language Arts curriculum. (Phonics, Grammar, Writing, Reading, Comprehension, etc). 2nd grade literature is similar and specific to 2nd graders. Think trying to have all 3 kids doing AAR level 3 together.

That being said, once they are out of the learning to read phase, I am hopeful my 3 kids can do some literature guides together!
    Last edited by howiecram; 03-25-2018, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by jenniferjb View Post
    I came to MP when my oldest was in 4th grade, so I also had lots of K-2 stuff that I liked. I did, however, eventually discover that complete cores were the way to go even though I didn’t plan to use everything. The discounts are so good on the complete cores that for a slightly higher price than piecemeal, I got lots of stuff that I didn’t think I would use, but some of which I did.

With my younger two, I used the materials I had but added Storytime Treasures. In 3rd grade I started using nearly complete cores, but I continued with Singapore, AAR and AAS all the way through. So, in addition to the Enrichment, I might consider adding in Storytime Treasures.

There are lots of Catholics here. Christian studies was one of the subjects I didn’t think I would use, but we love it. We add in Faith and Life and some BC.
    Thinking about Storytime Treasures...is this something I could do with all 3, or would I just use it with my first grader? Many people are telling me that my 2nd grader shouldn't miss out on the literature, so it looks like I'll be doing that with him. And, as a Catholic, can you tell me a little more about Christian Studies in relation to Catholicism?

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by togg_mama View Post
    Like you, I have a whole bunch of curriculum on my shelves. I'm keeping what I'll use later, but I'm also not allowing myself to be held hostage to previous choices. That was for that year and for that season. It's okay to make changes as needed to make your homeschool run smoothly.

I hope this helps as you figure out what's best for your family this year!
    This is called the “sunk-cost fallacy” (or Concorde fallacy) in economics. You paid for something, you feel you HAVE to use it. Otherwise the money you invested is wasted. This line of thought seems prudent and logical. But your previous purchase may no longer be applicable, helpful or useful. This is money that will never be recouped (unless you sell it) but the cost of using it is more expensive than purchasing something of higher quality that IS applicable, helpful and useful.

I bought lots of workbooks, art activities and the like before we discovered MP and it took me awhile to realize that I would be much better off if I just taught the full core instead of trying to “get my money’s worth” and mash it all together like a tired scarecrow. The day I finally chucked, sold or gave away all my non-MP materials was a good one. Teaching was much easier, richer and more enjoyable after that.

Leave a comment:

• togg_mama
    replied

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    To piggy-back off Mary,

*steps onto soap box* The complete cores are very easy to implement and are gentle though academic, if that makes sense. In fact our brick and mortar school, HLS was not a full week of school because we believe there are benefits to play. But at 5 or 6 children are developmentally hungry for knowledge. In any group of this age you hear: Why? What is this? Why? How does this work? Why?Where does this go? Why? Why? Why? Children are instinctively curious, and as adults only we have the experience and knowledge to impart. They are ready to hear a great piece of literature and discuss it. They are ready to learn their letter sounds, blend and read. They are ready to add and subtract. They are ready, but learning takes some work too, and this isn't always what children want to do. So, we must encourage as well! The MP primary level materials take just a little time to work through each day, about 1 1/2 hours for K if you went straight through with no breaks. You will, however, want breaks! So maybe 2 hours a day. Each grade would add a little more time. *steps off soap box*

MP products are also competitively priced. If you piece together your year subject by subject, it will get expensive fast. I cannot argue cost since you already own materials you have been happy with. However, should you decide this child needs a different approach or you want to try something new, you know how to find us! All our primary level materials provide the right amount of challenge but in gentle (and beautiful) books that give plenty of review and practice.

As far as which enrichment to begin with, I am partial to the kindergarten year! The stories are some of my favorites. All your children will enjoy doing the enrichment sessions together.

Christian studies are only the Bible stories with some comprehension questions and vocabulary definitions when needed.

Blessings,
    Michelle T
    Michelle said it wonderfully and has summed up why I purchased complete cores for each of my four children:

1. Time -- it takes time for me figure out what I'm doing on an annual, semester, monthly, weekly, and daily basis. My kids were waiting around for me to get school going.
    2. Money -- I was spending money buying all the bits and pieces. For the same price, or less, I have all the pieces from one place and the curriculum guide as my guide.
    3. Peace of mind -- I love directing my kids education. I loved being homeschooled myself and I call my mom blessed for that. At the same time, for this year, I needed to outsource this directing to someone else. MP has the perfect blend of everything for our family because it keeps us on track for our goals for our children's education for this year and for the future.

I bought the four cores, hook line and sinker. My twins are in MP K and MP1, respectively, and I bought an extra set of consumables for each so I have complete freedom to have them work together, or separately, as is appropriate. Since I have a child in SC-C (and possibly SC-1 in a few months depending on how she does) I have a lot of duplicates. Thankfully our budget allowed me to just purchase everything and have duplicates, both literally and because my 4NU student has already learned most of States and Capitals from Classical Conversations Cycle 3 this past year. I marked books by core with colored tape and everything is in my school cabinet at our house where we're moving to in a few weeks.

We're moving so I haven't actually started everything with gusto. We have dipped into things here and there (I bought during the free shipping in February and then hauled it with us on our survey trip) and it's going to be a lot of fun and very wonderful for us this year.

Complete cores are not for everyone. I'm just sharing how it's working for us this year. Like you, I have a whole bunch of curriculum on my shelves. I'm keeping what I'll use later, but I'm also not allowing myself to be held hostage to previous choices. That was for that year and for that season. It's okay to make changes as needed to make your homeschool run smoothly.

I hope this helps as you figure out what's best for your family this year!

Leave a comment:

• jenniferjb
    replied

I came to MP when my oldest was in 4th grade, so I also had lots of K-2 stuff that I liked. I did, however, eventually discover that complete cores were the way to go even though I didn’t plan to use everything. The discounts are so good on the complete cores that for a slightly higher price than piecemeal, I got lots of stuff that I didn’t think I would use, but some of which I did.

With my younger two, I used the materials I had but added Storytime Treasures. In 3rd grade I started using nearly complete cores, but I continued with Singapore, AAR and AAS all the way through. So, in addition to the Enrichment, I might consider adding in Storytime Treasures.

There are lots of Catholics here. Christian studies was one of the subjects I didn’t think I would use, but we love it. We add in Faith and Life and some BC.

Leave a comment:

• Anita
    replied

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    To piggy-back off Mary,

*steps onto soap box* The complete cores are very easy to implement and are gentle though academic, if that makes sense. In fact our brick and mortar school, HLS was not a full week of school because we believe there are benefits to play. But at 5 or 6 children are developmentally hungry for knowledge. In any group of this age you hear: Why? What is this? Why? How does this work? Why?Where does this go? Why? Why? Why? Children are instinctively curious, and as adults only we have the experience and knowledge to impart. They are ready to hear a great piece of literature and discuss it. They are ready to learn their letter sounds, blend and read. They are ready to add and subtract. They are ready, but learning takes some work too, and this isn't always what children want to do. So, we must encourage as well! The MP primary level materials take just a little time to work through each day, about 1 1/2 hours for K if you went straight through with no breaks. You will, however, want breaks! So maybe 2 hours a day. Each grade would add a little more time. *steps off soap box*

MP products are also competitively priced. If you piece together your year subject by subject, it will get expensive fast. I cannot argue cost since you already own materials you have been happy with. However, should you decide this child needs a different approach or you want to try something new, you know how to find us! All our primary level materials provide the right amount of challenge but in gentle (and beautiful) books that give plenty of review and practice.

As far as which enrichment to begin with, I am partial to the kindergarten year! The stories are some of my favorites. All your children will enjoy doing the enrichment sessions together.

Christian studies are only the Bible stories with some comprehension questions and vocabulary definitions when needed.

Blessings,
    Michelle T
    I’m glad Michelle said this because I was ready to! I will add:

Don’t be wary of having formal study of great literature. It is necessary. Not because we are trying to wring every drop of knowledge out of school and force our children to drink it, but because it teaches them how to think not what to think.

There is a huge difference between how Classical Education approaches and engages the whole child and how Progressive Education generally teaches and indoctrinates. Classical Education trains, guides, instructs, implores, stretches, invigorates and enlightens with an eye towards interior freedom; autonomy within the family of God; Truth, beauty and goodness.

Progressive Education (Public School) teaches children how to passably read, write and do arithmetic, but it does not — it cannot legally! — instruct them how to think and how to approach the existential struggle of living wisdom, morality and their personal inclusion in a framework of wisdom and beauty. That just doesn’t exist in the traditional sense. Very little in Progressive Education has been divorced from politics, sexuality and activism. Actual Education was left behind long ago, as children were exploited and indoctrinated to provide a suitable labor force — something that began in earnest in the Great Depression and Post WWII era, but which continues to this day.

Reading fun books and asking easy questions is part of the read aloud portion of the lower grades enrichment activities. Formal study of independent reading begins in First Grade (with Storytime Treasures), but is still gentle, enjoyable and enriching. It helps train the children how to really think about what they are reading and to pick up on vocabulary, place, subtext, grammar, punctuation and characterization — all while reading wonderful, age-appropriate literature and coloring and drawing pictures. Both of my older children have fond memories of First Grade literature study for this exact reason. By the time they reach upper grades, literature study is automatic, and becomes second nature. Don’t be afraid of this process! Far from being pedantic, it is invigorating and exciting for our children.

Leave a comment:

• JodiSue
    replied

And, I'm not sure about the 2nd grade literature stuff. I don't really require my kids to do written work based off books that they read. Has anyone done those orally or does that defeat the point? Anyway, I'm loving all of these responses-thank you!
    Many people do the literature orally. A lot of people will do most questions orally, but pick one or two where they work with their child to create a well-crafted sentence, they write the sentence on a white board or piece of paper, and then have the student copy it into their workbook.

Part of the point is learning to compose good answers to questions about literature and being able to write them, but then again, since these books were created for classroom use, the intent was never that one student would sit and independently write answers to several questions all by themselves at age 7 or 8.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied

To piggy-back off Mary,

Blessings,
    Michelle T

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    Ah, I can appreciate cabinets full of curriculum. I think most of us here can relate! I don't think that having older children in school is "messing up". It's what works for some families and it's okay. *sends cyber hug your way*

A quick blurb about Christian Studies: it is designed to be a systematic study of the bible that Christians of any stripe can pick up and use with their children - there's no doctrine taught. I am Orthodox and the CS program has worked very well without feeling watered down or needing me to step in and correct anything. The kids learn the doctrine of our faith outside of MP. <3 I think there is a Catholic supplement in the works and someone more familiar with it will likely chime in and give better detail.

So, back to enrichment...which part(s) interest you most? And, most importantly, will you have room in your schedule to fit in all of the things you'd like to do? I am not a ALL trying to dissuade you from MP; rather, I was that mom who tried to cram every single, solitary thing into our days early on and, instead of being beautiful and good, it was...too much. *weary laugh* This is what led me to share the comment earlier about wishing I'd found MP sooner than I did. It gave me all I needed for a good, solid education filled with beauty without being totally overwhelming.
    Good point. Well, I've been here there and everywhere in terms of my "style". I started with CM, but then somewhere along the line decided that wasn't enough. So I went classical, but *hated* SOTW and wondered why I was trying to get my sweet 6 year old to learn about places even I didn't know existed. So then I went traditional. But that didn't exactly feel right either. Then I got pregnant unexpectantly, coupled with my oldest who is an extreme extrovert really REALLY wanting to go to school-and so I let them. But since they've been in school, I realize that what I want for them is just about opposite (and I"m a former PS teacher). I want beauty and richness. I want the 3 R's obviously and then at these early ages, I just want gentle poetry, picture study, music and lots and lots of rich literature (which is seriously lacking in public school folks!). If I do nothing else than drown them in that, and create beautiful memories of us snuggling on the couch, then I will be happy.

I do NOT want to bog us down with too much. Perhaps that's why I want to do reading, math, handwriting, and then add in the enrichment. I don't want to do formal science or formal history. I just want to open their eyes a bit to the beauty of the written language, the world (through nature studies and books) and maybe a Saint or hero along the way to look up to.

I would LOVE to hear more about the Catholic supplement. Gosh, that might be just what I'm looking for. I've dabbled in some other curriculum that was Christian, and I think it's time I need to expose my kids to more of the faith. But, I will take a closer look at the CS and see what I think.

As for the whole core, it seems silly to me to buy the phonics and spelling when I'm pretty happy with AAR and AAS. And, I'm not sure about the 2nd grade literature stuff. I don't really require my kids to do written work based off books that they read. Has anyone done those orally or does that defeat the point? Anyway, I'm loving all of these responses-thank you!

Leave a comment:

• Mary
    replied

Ah, I can appreciate cabinets full of curriculum. I think most of us here can relate! I don't think that having older children in school is "messing up". It's what works for some families and it's okay. *sends cyber hug your way*

A quick blurb about Christian Studies: it is designed to be a systematic study of the bible that Christians of any stripe can pick up and use with their children - there's no doctrine taught. I am Orthodox and the CS program has worked very well without feeling watered down or needing me to step in and correct anything. The kids learn the doctrine of our faith outside of MP. <3 I think there is a Catholic supplement in the works and someone more familiar with it will likely chime in and give better detail.

So, back to enrichment...which part(s) interest you most? And, most importantly, will you have room in your schedule to fit in all of the things you'd like to do? I am not a ALL trying to dissuade you from MP; rather, I was that mom who tried to cram every single, solitary thing into our days early on and, instead of being beautiful and good, it was...too much. *weary laugh* This is what led me to share the comment earlier about wishing I'd found MP sooner than I did. It gave me all I needed for a good, solid education filled with beauty without being totally overwhelming.

Leave a comment:

• JodiSue
    replied

Ha, well I appreciate your enthusiasm for MP! Here's my story: This is my 2nd time around with younger kids, and so I have a "bunch" of stuff that I've used and spent quite a bit of $ on. For example. all 4 levels of AAR are prepped and in 3 ring binders, AAS, math, etc. So, I'm not sure that I can justify starting completely over and just shelving those things. Although, I will say that the nice curriculum layout of what to do every day is VERY appealing. But the other thing is, I am a blend of CM and classical. There are parts of classical that I'm not in agreement with, and so I think I'll end up coupling the MP resources with some CM ones. Oh, and I'm Catholic so cannot do the Christian studies (or would rather it be Catholic). But, feel free to keep selling me on the core because who knows...I may bend! I burned out with my older kids and they are all in school now, and so I need to do something pretty drastically different. I don't want to mess up this time or make the same mistakes with my middle kids. So, don't tell my husband, but if totally changing gears feels right, then I would consider it. I just really like AAR though :-)
    I just want to say that the Christian Studies are completely ecumenical, and actually a Catholic supplement is in the works for K-2. I'm not Catholic myself, but there are many Catholic users here on the forum that use full cores and Christian Studies as written.

ETA: Also, there are many here that enjoy a good CM/Classical discussion and can answer a lot about MP as far as philosophy goes, so I'm sure no one would object if you started another thread on those topics.
    Last edited by JodiSue; 03-21-2018, 05:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Meadowlark
    replied

Originally posted by OrthodoxHandmaiden View Post
    I am a bad person to ask because I spend at least a few seconds each day wishing I'd found MP when my oldest was a wee one. *weary laugh* My vote is to dive in and do full cores because NONE of this is to be missed! **I get nothing for telling you that - just a super happy MP-using Mama here!**

That being said, the enrichment is great. Art cards, music appreciation, arts and crafts, books...*dreamy sigh* We don't really "do" science, besides the science read-alouds, until 3rd grade because little ones are busy mastering basic math concepts, phonics/reading and writing. That being said, the read-aloud science enrichment sets are really fantastic. Yes. I own them all. I also own all of the other supplementary read-alouds because, well, I like them as much as my kids do. *embarrassed grin* They are thoughtful, beautiful, engaging...and so worth your time. <3

If you're just using this as an add-on to another curriculum you're using, you could certainly go in order from kindergarten through 2nd grade. Or, you could start at the 2nd grade level this year and then circle back through K next year and follow up with 1st the following year - your children will get all three years either way. It's really up to you.
    Ha, well I appreciate your enthusiasm for MP! Here's my story: This is my 2nd time around with younger kids, and so I have a "bunch" of stuff that I've used and spent quite a bit of $ on. For example. all 4 levels of AAR are prepped and in 3 ring binders, AAS, math, etc. So, I'm not sure that I can justify starting completely over and just shelving those things. Although, I will say that the nice curriculum layout of what to do every day is VERY appealing. But the other thing is, I am a blend of CM and classical. There are parts of classical that I'm not in agreement with, and so I think I'll end up coupling the MP resources with some CM ones. Oh, and I'm Catholic so cannot do the Christian studies (or would rather it be Catholic). But, feel free to keep selling me on the core because who knows...I may bend! I burned out with my older kids and they are all in school now, and so I need to do something pretty drastically different. I don't want to mess up this time or make the same mistakes with my middle kids. So, don't tell my husband, but if totally changing gears feels right, then I would consider it. I just really like AAR though :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X