Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New here-help with a few questions regarding K-2 please

Originally posted by Meadowlark View Post
    Ok, let me see if I'm understanding this correctly since I'm coming from AAR.

So my Kinder's phonics/reading curriculum is First Start Reading
    My 1st grader's is Storytime Treasures and my 2nd graders is the Lit guides.

Here are my questions then: Is there specific phonics instruction in Storytime Treasures? Meaning, if I'm doing this in place of AAR, I'm nervous that there is no hard core phonics. Same with 2nd grade...is the phonics instruction over? I don't think my guy is quite ready to be over. Or is it assumed that they get all of their phonics in K and 1st?
    Yes! Check out the teacher samples for Storytime/More Storytime. https://www.memoriapress.com/wp-cont...Ed.-Sample.pdf

The second grade teacher guides do the same. Phonics instruction ends after 2nd.

Additional phonics in the spelling.
    Christine

(2019/2020)
    DD1 8/23/09 - SC5/6
    DS2 9/1/11 - SC3,4, 5/6 combo
    DD3 2/9/13 -SC2 to start, MP1 second semester

Previous Years
    DD 1 (MPK, SC2 (with AAR), SC3, SC4’
    DS2 (SCB, SCC, MPK, SC2)
    DD3 (SCA, SCB, Jr. K workbooks, soaking up from the others, MPK)

Comment

Re: New here-help with a few questions regarding K-2 please

If it helps, a good way to see how the various books fit together into “subject” categories is to look at the sample pages of the Curriculum Manual. Everything that is within the same content area will be within the same row of the CG spread out across the week.

*ETA: I just double-checked this myself...and realized they only show you the first week of school...which starts out slowly, and does not show that much actual "work." But it still gives you the idea of a how a few of the pieces are used. Another idea might be to simply order a Curriculum Manual for each grade, or the individual lesson plans, and you can see how it all fits together before you decide on the whole kit and caboodle.*

It can be a bit tricky to figure out simply because AAR and AAS are clear cut, separate items that you can pick and plug into any curriculum you are using for other things. Memoria Press did not develop their programs to be like that. All of the courses published by MP have come from their writers and instructors at Highlands Latin School...so they have been intended to be used altogether as an entire curriculum of its own. To try to isolate one piece of it and call it “reading” or “phonics” or “spelling” is not as easy as with other programs. All the components of the K, 1, and 2 Language Arts are intended to be used together for the greatest benefit. But this is a much more thorough approach over all, and is why so many of us are committed to the full cores. By using the entire curriculum, instead of pieces, it all fits and flows really easily.

I understand wanting to stick with something you have, and that is familiar to you. I don’t know if you have a way to get to a convention to see the MP materials in person, but also keep in mind that they offer a 60 day money back guarantee. You could always order the materials to see them in person and get a feel for them, and then if you still aren’t convinced, just send them back.

Lastly, I wanted to address your question about the Christian Studies program as a Catholic. The CS program is a Bible history program to teach children the major events, people, and time periods of the Bible. Students in the primary years read the stories and answer discussion questions to build familiarity. Then in 3rd through 6th, they go through the entire Bible to really study facts, stories, and information. Then in the CS IV, they review the entire Bible again using a “real” adult Bible. It is an excellent program, and is suitable for both Catholics and Protestants. My kids know so much more about the Bible (and read it more frequently) than I ever did in 12 years of Catholic school! Then you would also want to add in your Catholic religion studies, whether you do it yourself, or you follow what your parish prescribes.

AMDG,
      Sarah
      Last edited by KF2000; 03-26-2018, 10:23 AM.
      2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
      DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
      DS, 16
      DD, 14
      DD, 12
      DD, 10
      DD, 7.5
      DD, 5.5
      +DS+
      DS, 18 months

Comment

Working...