• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• theolivecreative
    replied
    Re: Explode the Code transition...

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
    Sarah Marie,

Sounds like you have gotten great advice from Jessica and Michelle. Since it sounds like you want to finish with what you have right now, before starting FSR, I would also just offer the reminder that it would be okay to simply do it as a full year study next year as well, without the rush. I don’t know about you, but whenever I had great plans to do things over the summer, they usually got derailed by the simple fact that everyone wanted a break from school, and to be at the pool or something instead of pushing on with academics.

Along with that, I also get very discouraged if I am not meeting a timeframe I have set for myself. I would be cautious about setting this goal of going completely through FSR in summertime too firmly. You don’t know yet how your child will do, you know? I have some kids that could have easily flown through it that quickly, but then others for whom that would not have worked.

So this is not a suggestion to abandon your plan, but rather to maybe have more than one plan in mind so that you can calmly and easily adjust once you see how things play out. Making sure to lay this foundation well is going to be a better long-term outcome than trying to get him at grade level on time.

I have a dear friend whose daughter had some vision issues that delayed her ability to read for a long time. She is just now making her way through FSR-level work even though her daughter is technically halfway through first grade. She will be doing the MP first grade work next year as a second grader. It will be easier to catch her up to grade level in literature later than to skip or rush through any of these foundational steps.

So just keep that in the back of your mind as an option if you need it!
    AMDG,
    Sarah
    Sarah, thank you for this wise advice and encouragement! We will definitely take it one step at a time and see where we land by next school year. I bet once I get into FSR A a bit, I will have a good idea of pacing for him. I don't mind if we have to play catch up a bit. I will take your advice and keep myself open to various plans and timelines for him!
    Blessings!

Leave a comment:

• KF2000
    replied

Sarah Marie,

Sounds like you have gotten great advice from Jessica and Michelle. Since it sounds like you want to finish with what you have right now, before starting FSR, I would also just offer the reminder that it would be okay to simply do it as a full year study next year as well, without the rush. I don’t know about you, but whenever I had great plans to do things over the summer, they usually got derailed by the simple fact that everyone wanted a break from school, and to be at the pool or something instead of pushing on with academics.

Along with that, I also get very discouraged if I am not meeting a timeframe I have set for myself. I would be cautious about setting this goal of going completely through FSR in summertime too firmly. You don’t know yet how your child will do, you know? I have some kids that could have easily flown through it that quickly, but then others for whom that would not have worked.

So this is not a suggestion to abandon your plan, but rather to maybe have more than one plan in mind so that you can calmly and easily adjust once you see how things play out. Making sure to lay this foundation well is going to be a better long-term outcome than trying to get him at grade level on time.

I have a dear friend whose daughter had some vision issues that delayed her ability to read for a long time. She is just now making her way through FSR-level work even though her daughter is technically halfway through first grade. She will be doing the MP first grade work next year as a second grader. It will be easier to catch her up to grade level in literature later than to skip or rush through any of these foundational steps.

So just keep that in the back of your mind as an option if you need it!
    AMDG,
    Sarah

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied

Jessica-

Thanks!

Sarah Marie,

We'll be here! Wishing you success!

Blessings,

Michelle T

Leave a comment:

• theolivecreative
    replied

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
    If you are transitioning to MP 1st I suggest working through FSR A-D, as Jessica suggested to be sure there are no phonetic gaps, to fortify his reading ability and hone his penmanship skills. That way he will be used to the format of the FSR series when you begin first grade and use FSR Book E. Like the advice given, don't skip the ear training, copy work or review of the phonics flashcards. These activities while time consuming are beneficial in the years to come. You can begin dropping skill practice as mastery evidenced.

You will probably be able to move at a faster pace, but slow to the suggested one when he begins to struggle. Should you have any further questions, feel free to post here or call MP!

Michelle T
    Thank you, Michelle!! I will give this a shot and definitely ask for advice if we have any hiccups!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied
    OT: verb choice

This is very off-topic but I loved your verb choices, Michelle! fortify & hone <3

Leave a comment:

• Michelle T
    replied

If you are transitioning to MP 1st I suggest working through FSR A-D, as Jessica suggested to be sure there are no phonetic gaps, to fortify his reading ability and hone his penmanship skills. That way he will be used to the format of the FSR series when you begin first grade and use FSR Book E. Like the advice given, don't skip the ear training, copy work or review of the phonics flashcards. These activities while time consuming are beneficial in the years to come. You can begin dropping skill practice as mastery evidenced.

You will probably be able to move at a faster pace, but slow to the suggested one when he begins to struggle. Should you have any further questions, feel free to post here or call MP!

Michelle T

Leave a comment:

• theolivecreative
    replied

Thank you, Laura! That is exactly the answer I needed. Looks like we have our work cut out for us!

Leave a comment:

• ljallen44
    replied

I have some experience with explode the code and I believe you would need to be through at least books A, B, C, 1, 2 and 3 before you would be ready to start 1st grade with Memoria Press.

-Laura Allen

ETA: I agree that jumping into First Start Reading now would be advised if MP 1st grade is your plan for next year. I used some ETC for extra practice when needed for my struggling reader.
    Last edited by ljallen44; 03-21-2018, 12:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• theolivecreative
    replied

Thank you for the welcome, Jessica!

Oops- I was unclear in my wording- we don't currently have any MP language arts materials, I meant to say he was working through the Kindergarten set of Bob Books. Sorry for the confusion!

I have on hand the Kindergarten Handwriting without Tears, which he is about to jump in on, so we will use that, but he should get through it by the end of Spring as he has done a bit of manuscript practice in other places. But I'm sure he would benefit from any handwriting or phonetic review.

Perhaps we should do First start A-D throughout the summer (once he's finished with his current books) in an accelerated way like you said? He actually loves seat work so far, so we might be able to swing that? We do school a lot through the summer, so it would prob be a welcome addition.
    Is First Start E a cumulative Review, or new content?

Thanks a bunch!!

Leave a comment:

• pickandgrin
    replied

Welcome, Sarah Marie!
    When you say you are working through the MP K set, are you not doing First Start Reading?
    What about this--could you start the MP First Start Reading program now and accelerate but not skip now through the end of book D to get you ready for the fall? First Start Reading is as much about the writing as it is the reading, and that skill will need to be honed a little to begin MP1 in the fall. How does your student do with manuscript? You could say you are doing a power-review and that some will be familiar material--that's OK. If you expect it then you'll be lighthearted about doing it. This is the best way I know of with your available time to shore up the K foundation for first in the fall. Michelle T may chime in with a different idea--she has great ideas about things like this!

Leave a comment:

• theolivecreative
    started a topic Explode the Code transition...

Explode the Code transition...

Phonics question:
    I am not sure whether anyone will know this or has had any experience with ETC, but,
    if, at the end of the school year my Kindergartener is done with books A, B, & C (Go for the Code), where should I start him with Phonics from MP for next year? We also use Bob Books sets, and he is working through the Kindergarten set, but it is still a joint effort, and I think when he does read, it is about 75% recognizing words. I'm in no rush, but I also want to get him in good shape for 1st grade work.
    Thanks for any advice!
Working...
X