Mapping COTR to Khan Academy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mapping COTR to Khan Academy

Has anyone mapped out Khan Academy videos that correlate to COTR lessons? I'm thinking about doing this so we can keep a more consistent pace in COTR (we're only getting to about 3 lessons a week right now). But, I thought I'd check first to see if anyone else has done this so I'm not reinventing the wheel!
    Jennifer

2018-2019
    DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
    DS-12 (6M)
    DS-10 (SC3)
    DD-8 (MP2)
    DD-6 (SC2)
    DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Re: Mapping COTR to Khan Academy

Paging Cindy Davis ......
    DD #1 : 23, college GRADUATE
    DD #2 : 12 MP 7A - HLS Cottage School Louisville, MPOA
    DS #3 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DS #4 : 10, MP3M+Simply Classical4; HLS Cottage School Louisville
    DD #5: 6, MP 1 at HLS
    DS #6: 4, cutest caboose on the loose
    http://www.thekennedyadventures.com

Comment

I am going to offer a “don’t think so, so go for it!” vote. Great idea, and will be very helpful for others though!

AMDG,
      Sarah
      2018-2019
      DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
      DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
        I am going to offer a “don’t think so, so go for it!” vote. Great idea, and will be very helpful for others though!

AMDG,
        Sarah
        Only problem is that I only took the first part of pre-Algebra in high school (it wasn’t required to have algebra to graduate at the time). So I’m not sure which titles on KA are talking about which topics in COTR!
        Jennifer

2018-2019
        DS-14 & DS-15 (MP9 Literature, Novare Intro to Physics, Light to the Nations I (CTP), MPOA for: Latin, Pre-Algebra, Ref/Con
        DS-12 (6M)
        DS-10 (SC3)
        DD-8 (MP2)
        DD-6 (SC2)
        DD-3 (NT using SCB for gradual intro to JrK)

Comment

Ha! Sounds like you will need to keep a running list of what you find helpful over the year, and share it for others’ benefit when you finish
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2018-2019
          DD 17 - 12th || DS 15 - 10th || DD 13 - 8th || DD 11 - 6th || DD 9 - 4th
          DD 7 - 1st || DD 5 - mix of 1st & JrK || +DS, 2-21-16+ || DS 11 months (and walking!)

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
            Only problem is that I only took the first part of pre-Algebra in high school (it wasn’t required to have algebra to graduate at the time). So I’m not sure which titles on KA are talking about which topics in COTR!
            That was exactly my problem, I couldn't use the videos to find topics needed cause I didn't
            even know what was what- unless it happened to call concept exactly the same thing as the COTR book did. I found some good videos on Math Antics. Also here: https://www.mathmammoth.com/videos/p...bra-videos.php

I wish I could help you. We often just google search topics and hope someone, somewhere called it the same thing. Kahn is great, but I find it hard to find topics.
            Last edited by Girlnumber20; 02-23-2018, 04:47 PM.
            DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
            DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

Originally posted by DiannaKennedy View Post
              Paging Cindy Davis ......
              Hi Dianna! Thanks for paging me.

Jennifer, this is a great idea, and I am sure others will find your results helpful.

When you cannot find your lesson topic on Khan Academy, try googling the lesson name and see if other topics come up. Then enter those in the Khan Academy search tool. I would focus on the pre-algebra section of Khan Academy.
              For example, google: signed numbers
              Or: Khan Academy lesson about signed numbers

If signed numbers is not yielding results, try "positive and negative numbers" or "arithmetic with positive and negative numbers" or "operations with positive and negative numbers".
              Last edited by Cindy in Indy; 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM.
              Cindy Davis
              Science and Math teacher at Highlands Latin School - Indianapolis
              ds-24 college graduate: working, reading, writing
              ds-23 college graduate: 1st year med school
              dd-21 college junior: Nursing

Comment

Originally posted by jen1134 View Post
                Has anyone mapped out Khan Academy videos that correlate to COTR lessons? I'm thinking about doing this so we can keep a more consistent pace in COTR (we're only getting to about 3 lessons a week right now). But, I thought I'd check first to see if anyone else has done this so I'm not reinventing the wheel!
                Hi Jenn,
                I just received this email from Khan Academy. I will reply with request for COTR mapping. Will let you know what they come up with!

Hi Cindy Davis,

We know how busy you are, so we’re curious: Would you be interested in getting a textbook-aligned guide to help you easily find Khan Academy exercises, videos, and articles?

Such a guide would align Khan Academy resources to the chapters and sections of your textbook. You’d get previews of exercises, videos and question types so finding resources to match your lessons would be a snap!

If you’re interested in getting a free, textbook based guide, please complete this short form.

Yes! I’d like a textbook aligned-guide for Khan

Thank you!
                Caroline and the Khan Academy team
                Cindy Davis

Comment

How cool! Do you know if they have other textbooks aligned already?
                  Dorinda

DD 15 - 10th with MPOA(Biology, Novel, Material Logic/Rhetoric ), Lukeion (Greek3, Latin 3)
                  DS 13 - 8A with MPOA(Third Form and composition)
                  DS 10 - 5M
                  DS 5 - K with AAR3

Comment

Hi Dorinda,
                    No, I don't know if they have aligned any textbooks yet. If you are interested in a particular text, I suggest you send the folks at Khan Academy a request. Perhaps we will gain some helpful tools!
                    Cindy
                    Cindy Davis

Comment

Dorinda,
                      You asked what I was also thinking....hmmm....I wonder if Khan would do some aligning with that Jurgensen Geometry text! We LOVE (LOVE!) Khan. I am so impressed with Sal and his vision that led him to bring Khan Academy as far as he has, and his vision for what he sees it becoming one day. We especially love his voice and teaching style. He's so engaging! I am going to reach out to them about this math textbook alignment question.
                      SusanP

Comment

This would be awesome!

Originally posted by Cindy in Indy View Post
                        Hi Jenn,
                        I just received this email from Khan Academy. I will reply with request for COTR mapping. Will let you know what they come up with!

Hi Cindy Davis,

We know how busy you are, so we’re curious: Would you be interested in getting a textbook-aligned guide to help you easily find Khan Academy exercises, videos, and articles?

Such a guide would align Khan Academy resources to the chapters and sections of your textbook. You’d get previews of exercises, videos and question types so finding resources to match your lessons would be a snap!

If you’re interested in getting a free, textbook based guide, please complete this short form.

Yes! I’d like a textbook aligned-guide for Khan

Thank you!
                        Caroline and the Khan Academy team
                        Homeschooling since 2001. Still learning latin

13yo son- MP 7th grade

homeschool graduates-

19yo daughter- education major

22yo son- Software Engineering major

24yo son- Criminal Justice major

27 yo son- organic farmer

Comment

Did this happen? If so where do I find it? We’re struggling
                          ~Sarah~

2018-2019
                          Ds 7th grade MP
                          Dd 2nd grade MP
                          Dd 1st grade MP
                          DD 6th PS (previously homeschooled)
                          Dd 9th PS

Comment

Originally posted by PrarieGirl View Post
                            Did this happen? If so where do I find it? We’re struggling
                            Hi Sarah,
                            I have not heard whether Khan Academy mapped their videos to COTR (or any other pre-algebra textbook).

Could you describe how you are struggling? Are the MP lesson plans confusing? COTR lesson explanations not making sense?

If you can give specific examples, some folks on the forum may be able to jump in with assistance.

You could have your child begin working through the Khan Academy pre-algebra videos and practice problems from the beginning. As he works his way through the basics, he may gain understanding that will help him work through the COTR lessons.
                            Cindy Davis

Comment

My daughter is using Khan Academy with COTR Pre-algebra. Actually, she is doing it from the start. It is a good review and fills in gaps in understanding and builds her confidence.

I do find COTR a big jump from Rod and Staff Grade 6. She did well with Rod and Staff. THe pacing in early chapters in COTR is fast with jumping right into negative numbers and lengthy variable expressions in first three chapters. This was not really covered in RS 6, in my memory. I think it will benefit her greatly in the long run. Algebra 1 should be an easier jump for us. A lot is new material briefly introduced and then applied in more advanced ways quickly. I sit with her for every example problem. We work through them side by side with individual white boards or paper and pencil. Then, I assign the problem set. We usually break that into two days. We are doing it bit by bit, thoroughly and slowly. I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

HTH,
                              Carlyn
                              Carlyn D.
                              DD- 12 yr. old has used Memoria Press Classical Core since K; 6A currently
                              DS- 20 yr. old college student
                              DS- 20 yr. old college student
                              Both sons graduated May 2016 from high school after homeschooling since preschool. :)

Comment

Working...
                              X