Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mapping COTR to Khan Academy

Originally posted by CarlynD View Post
    My daughter is using Khan Academy with COTR Pre-algebra. Actually, she is doing it from the start. It is a good review and fills in gaps in understanding and builds her confidence.

I do find COTR a big jump from Rod and Staff Grade 6. She did well with Rod and Staff. THe pacing in early chapters in COTR is fast with jumping right into negative numbers and lengthy variable expressions in first three chapters. This was not really covered in RS 6, in my memory. I think it will benefit her greatly in the long run. Algebra 1 should be an easier jump for us. A lot is new material briefly introduced and then applied in more advanced ways quickly. I sit with her for every example problem. We work through them side by side with individual white boards or paper and pencil. Then, I assign the problem set. We usually break that into two days. We are doing it bit by bit, thoroughly and slowly. I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

HTH,
    Carlyn
    I agree, COTR seems like a big jump. My son has always done well in Math but retention isn’t there in Pre Algebra. He works half of each section with me sitting next to him and he’s on his own for the rest. He does well until we review the following day. He can’t seem to remember how to work the problems. I was hoping he could review with Kahn Academy.
    I’ll try having him start at the beginning of Pre Algebra with KA and see if that helps.
    ~Sarah~

2019-2020
    DS 8th grade MP, CTP & IEW
    DD 3rd grade MP
    DD 2nd grade MP
    DD 7th grade away school
    DD Sophomore away school

Comment

Y'all are not giving me confidence. My daughter had areas where she struggled in R&S 6, so we stayed there.

Now I'm panicking. 😱😱
      Plans for 2019-20

DD1 - 24 - College Grad and rocking her own bakery business
      DD2 - 13 - 8A Louisville HLS Cottage School and MPOA
      DS3 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS4 - 11 - 4A Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DD5 - 7 - MP2, Louisville HLS Cottage School
      DS6 - 5 - MP K

[url]www.thekennedyadventures.com/all-about-our-memoria-press-homeschool[/url]

Comment

Sorry, Dianna, that I am not encouraging you.

Today wasn't a great math day. We have about half good days and half bad days. She does really enjoy Khan Academy. It is a confidence builder. Whenever a new concept is introduced is usually when we have the most difficult time with COTR. It just takes her mind a while to think about the new concept. Today, however, I had to have her go back and review negative numbers because of not retaining the rule for adding/subtracting negative numbers. She retained the multiply/divide rules, but the add/subtract ones did not stick. Khan Academy will hopefully help her keep practicing these concepts while we go through the COTR chapters. I don't know where I'm supposed to be in the schedule but we are on Lesson 3.4 (Chapter 3) and there are two more sections in chapter 3. I want to finish before Christmas with Chapter 3, but I'm not sure we will get to the test before break. I just keep thinking do a little at a time and work for mastery, so hopefully it will be ok. I think she'll will be well prepared for Algebra though! There are eight chapters in the book. I hope to be through with Chapter 4 by the end of the first semester. Maybe this is TMI, but that's where we are.
        Carlyn D.
        DD- 12 yr. old has used Memoria Press Classical Core since K; 6A currently
        DS- 20 yr. old college student
        Both sons graduated May 2016 from high school after homeschooling since preschool. :)

Comment

I just want to encourage both of you, Carolyn and Dianna. It is a tough adjustment - it’s like they think they know what math “is,” because of what they have always learned and practiced; and then this year they have to realize that there is so much more they can do with the concept of “number” that it really throws them for a loop at first.

But in my experience, it’s like ripping off a bandaid. Once they get over the “sting,” it’s over. They adjust and settle down. Not to say that it’s necessarily “easy” after that - there can still be tears of frustration and whatnot, but I usually see an “acceptance” that sinks in.

J spent most of the first two months of school looking at me like I had two heads would we would go over something, and argue emphatically that math is not supposed to be like this, but even she has come around to at least trusting me that the world is not ending and math is not as horrible as it seemed when we first got started. And this period of adjustment has never repeated itself in any level after prealgebra (at least not with the others!). Since I always thought our three girls were cut from the same cloth, I wanted to give you a virtual hug today! It does get better!

HTHs!
          AMDG,
          Sarah
          2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
          DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
          DS, 16
          DD, 14
          DD, 12
          DD, 10
          DD, 7.5
          DD, 5.5
          +DS+
          DS, 18 months

Comment

Originally posted by KF2000 View Post
            I just want to encourage both of you, Carolyn and Dianna. It is a tough adjustment - it’s like they think they know what math “is,” because of what they have always learned and practiced; and then this year they have to realize that there is so much more they can do with the concept of “number” that it really throws them for a loop at first.

But in my experience, it’s like ripping off a bandaid. Once they get over the “sting,” it’s over. They adjust and settle down. Not to say that it’s necessarily “easy” after that - there can still be tears of frustration and whatnot, but I usually see an “acceptance” that sinks in.

J spent most of the first two months of school looking at me like I had two heads would we would go over something, and argue emphatically that math is not supposed to be like this, but even she has come around to at least trusting me that the world is not ending and math is not as horrible as it seemed when we first got started. And this period of adjustment has never repeated itself in any level after prealgebra (at least not with the others!). Since I always thought our three girls were cut from the same cloth, I wanted to give you a virtual hug today! It does get better!

HTHs!
            AMDG,
            Sarah
            I am chuckling slightly at this post because it seems to me that what Sarah is saying is that pre-algebra induces something like the stages of grief in our children!!

Math will not kill you, son, but you may feel as though someone has died.
            Jodi
            ~~~~~~~
            2019-20 School Year:
            Ethan (7A)
            Matthew (5A)
            Silas (1st)
            Eleanor (4yo dabbling in PK as time allows)
            Blueberry (arriving Oct '19)

Comment

Jodi,
              You crack me up!

I could add what my son in algebra II went through this week with factoring polynomial expressions when he had to realize that...(dun dun dun...) he may not get the right combo on the first try. “WHAT???? You mean I could go through this whole process and BE WRONG? And have to...

(wait for it...)

DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN???
              For every problem???”

Oh my, another death, all over again.

(But once I worked about twenty with him he calmed down and decided his life was not actually ruined).

Oh, math.

AMDG,
              Sarah
              2019-2020 - 9th Year with MP
              DD, 18, Homeschool grad; Art major/philosophy minor
              DS, 16
              DD, 14
              DD, 12
              DD, 10
              DD, 7.5
              DD, 5.5
              +DS+
              DS, 18 months

Comment

You all have me laughing! Thank you!

It is like her math world with algebra is blown apart. I see it in her face and eyes. It is like the wheel is turning and turning in her brain and I expect smoke to start to come out of her ears and nose next!

Excelsior!
                Carlyn
                Carlyn D.
                DD- 12 yr. old has used Memoria Press Classical Core since K; 6A currently
                Both sons graduated May 2016 from high school after homeschooling since preschool. :)

Comment

From prealgebra on, we always have another textbook around at the same level for a second explanation.

I really like the Prentice Hall books that MP uses for Algebra 1 and Algebra 2, so I looked the prealgebra version from the same time (2001) on open library. To be honest, if I had it to do over again, that's the book I would use. The primary author is Davison. This is the one I found on Open Library.

It isn't as widely available as the other Prentice Hall book from the 2000s with a Ferris wheel on the front, but I might be inclined to order a cheap copy of one of those to look at it because there are so many available and plenty of second hand support resources. I can't find any sample pages online.

Honestly most prealgebra books that have an example then a "try this" type problem the student can work without seeing the answer would be a good second explanation book. I think the Larson PreAlgebra book from the 2000s with a soccer player on the front is another one with that layout.

ETA- if you use open library, check the book back in when you are done so others can check it out too. It's like a real library where there is only one copy available.
                  Last edited by bean; 12-16-2018, 06:21 AM.
                  Bean. Long time MP user.

DD- 9th grade aerospace enthusiast. Using a mix of dual credit, online and classical materials for 2019-2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X