coming in at year 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coming in at year 8

I'm refining thoughts for my rising 8th grader who is strong in math, science, logical thinking, and music.

Goals for me are a more streamlined schedule, better time together (using the guides effectively - our current curriculum discourages literature guides), more ownership for him (because Mommy doesn't need to explain his ever-changing, confusing schedule), and an approach that better utilizes his strengths.

We would continue with German through conversation and literature. He will be doing Geometry/Trig and Physics for math and science. Edited: He's finishing up Algebra II right now and doing the Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry schedule that some schools follow.

He currently is doing Writing With Skill 2 (through Well-Trained Mind Academy) and has made leaps and bounds. I'm not sure I want to change directions there. Thoughts? He's in/advanced beyond Analytical Grammar.

So, for MP, I'm thinking:

Latin: Henle I
    Grammar: Not sure
    Language Arts: Didn't really understand this on the website
    Lit/Poetry: 8th grade package
    Classical: Ancient Greeks, Iliad, Odyssey
    Christian Studies: Not sure - we've done some ancient Mesopotamia and Greece in the past and have an extended stay in Israel planned for next summer. What would be a good placement? In any case, we'll be doing our own reading on the geography, history, and politics of Israel.
    Writing: CC? Or stay with Writing With Skill?
    American and Modern Studies: Geography?

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Emily

Re: coming in at year 8

Hi, Emily.

Your plan looks good to me. Your Language Arts is going to be literature, writing, spelling, and grammar. For a rising 8th grader, you may be ready to drop spelling. And depending on what you have already accomplished with English grammar, you may be ready to drop that. If you feel your student needs to solidify English grammar, you could do our English Grammar Recitation alongside your Henle. But if this is the first year of Latin for your student, you may also consider R&S English 8 if you feel like you need a thorough review of English grammar before dropping it. For our students (who have had Latin since 2nd grade), we don't spend a lot of time in English grammar and no time in spelling in 8th grade. But that's because we have hit both things hard in grammar school, including Latin. So most of our language arts time is literature study and writing practice.

I also wanted to say that for Christian studies, are you familiar with Bruce Feiler's "Walking the Bible"? I think that would be great fun as a study before you embark on your trip to Israel. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Walking-Bible...king+the+bible

Everything else on your plan looks fine. I do like the idea of your studying geography this year too. That will also be beneficial to your upcoming trip.

Tanya

Comment

So, would he need to do the entire Geography I-III sequence, or is there a reasonable way to start part of the way through it?

Is Geography the recommended 8th grade modern study?

Thanks,
      Emily

Comment

Hi, Emily.

He will only need to do Geography 3. It covers the entire world at a middle school level. You can see a sample lesson online. You may need to take longer for each lesson if your student hasn't learned to map the world yet. You could pick and choose what you want him to master - like Europe, which is so important in the study of classical and modern history, and the Middle East, which figures heavily in Christian studies.

Tanya

Comment

Oh, that makes sense.

What do you think about WWS/CC? Should we stay the course? Or go back to CC Fable? I've asked him about it and he doesn't like the stories and excerpts in WWS, though he acknowledges he has learned a lot.

I talked with hubby about science for next year and my physics plan, to which he said, "He'll be doing physics for the rest of his life; let's let him do something else next year." Maybe we'll go for earth science instead. That might make the load lighter.

Emily

Comment

Originally posted by EmilyGF View Post
            Oh, that makes sense.

What do you think about WWS/CC? Should we stay the course? Or go back to CC Fable? I've asked him about it and he doesn't like the stories and excerpts in WWS, though he acknowledges he has learned a lot.

I talked with hubby about science for next year and my physics plan, to which he said, "He'll be doing physics for the rest of his life; let's let him do something else next year." Maybe we'll go for earth science instead. That might make the load lighter.

Emily
            I've been thinking about your original post. I would say that if the child is thriving in WWS, you are well served to stay the course. Even if he doesn't love the readings. I think that none of our upper-level boys really like their writing curriculum, if it is rigorous. WWS is a terrific writing program, and the skill he develops across the board will be so helpful in high school, and I know that by high school many parents are wanting children to have good skills in research papers, essays, and literary critique. It is my understanding that these skills are taught largely outside of the Classical Composition framework, and so if you wish to rely on your writing program to teach them WWS is a great option.

WWS also is "classical" in feel, in terms of how it trains the student to think about writing, about reading, and about thinking clearly. It would not be difficult for him to move quickly through Classical Composition after WWS3, if he wishes to.

That said, I must admit that I myself (I am in a tiny minority, in terms of the forum, on this!) really do not like Classical Composition and don't use it, so take my perspective accordingly.

The earth science book by Novare is terrific and meaty. Do note that, I believe, that Earth Science usually replaces Geography III + Tiner's Earth Science book, so you may wish to think about whether or not you want Geography III at the same time. It might be too heavy a load; on the other hand, Geography III includes cultural and political geography. Regarding your question above, Geography III (or Earth Science as a substitute) is what is scheduled in the same year as the Iliad, the Odyssey, and the Book of Greeks.

hope some of this is helpful!
            Ana, mama to
            ds A, 15 yo
            ds N, 10 yo

Comment

Working...
            X