Music appreciation courses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music appreciation courses

I am excited to try the new Music Appreciation course with my 3rd and 4th graders! Curious, has anyone used the "Professor Carol" courses? America's Musical Heritage, Discovering Music or Early Sacred Music? How were they? My kids take piano lessons and we listen to lots of symphony in the car. Plus, we attend the Latin Mass, so they hear chant all the time and we incorporate it into our Latin lessons. I am thinking the Early Sacred Music is still for older students, though. Any thoughts on these three products?

Thanks!
    Nicole
    Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
    2021-2022 - 5th year homeschooling and with MP
    DS - 8th, 14 yo
    DS - 8th, 13 yo

Re: Music appreciation courses

Discovering Music is an intense high school course. My above average son did it in 9th and struggled.
    Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
    DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
    DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
    DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
    (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
    DS, 21, Physics and math major
    DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
    DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
    DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by momgineer View Post
      Discovering Music is an intense high school course. My above average son did it in 9th and struggled.
      Thanks, Debbie. That's what I figured. Did you think it was a good course, though, content wise?
      Nicole - mom - Doctor of Pharmacy, UMKC 2002, M.S. Bioethics, 2020, Univ. of Mary.
      DS - 8th, 14 yo
      DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

My son did it independently so I'm not too familiar with the content. He disliked it. Said it was dry and boring, but I am guessing that is because it was about music and not black holes. This is my future astrophysicists who could care less about music. I have heard many rave about how great Prof Carol is so I take his critique to be only his personal opinion. The course was very hard though. The quizzes had a lot of info that was not in the book or the video note taking guides so he never really knew what to study or how to study. Perhaps he would have done better as an older student than doing it in 9th.
        Debbie- mom of 7, civil engineering grad, married to mechanical engineer
        DD, 27, BFA '17 graphic design and illustration
        DS, 25, BS '18 mechanical engineering
        DS, 23, BS '20 Chemsitry, pursuing phd at Wash U
        (DDIL married #3 in 2020, MPOA grad, BA '20 philosophy, pusrsing phd at SLU)
        DS, 21, Physics and math major
        DD, 18, dyslexic, 12th grade dual enrolled
        DS, 14, future engineer/scientist/ world conquerer 9th MPOA diploma student
        DD, 8 , 2nd Future astronaut, robot building space artist

Comment

Originally posted by Nikkirxd View Post
          I am excited to try the new Music Appreciation course with my 3rd and 4th graders! Curious, has anyone used the "Professor Carol" courses? America's Musical Heritage, Discovering Music or Early Sacred Music? How were they? My kids take piano lessons and we listen to lots of symphony in the car. Plus, we attend the Latin Mass, so they hear chant all the time and we incorporate it into our Latin lessons. I am thinking the Early Sacred Music is still for older students, though. Any thoughts on these three products?

Thanks!
          Nicole

Former music teacher mama here, and lover of sacred music. From my perspective, the Professor Carol courses all look amazing, and I can't wait to do them when the kids are a bit older. The early sacred music one looks especially fascinating, like you, we already are interested in Gregorian chant (even though we are Eastern Catholic, go figure) and are doing a class in how to read square notation and sing Gregorian chant- but I still want to add Professor Carol later. Imo music is the most crucial part of a classical education- the high point. Just listening to classical/sacred music trains the ear and the mind, but listening to it intentionally is way better.

I'm also really pondering the music appreciation course for younger grades. It looks really really good, like very solid content from what I can see, but I wish I could get my hands on the books! Can't Tanya get some kind of teleportation machine like in Star Trek, only for books, and just beam things up to us to check out?

Comment

Originally posted by Maria2 View Post
            Former music teacher mama here, and lover of sacred music. From my perspective, the Professor Carol courses all look amazing, and I can't wait to do them when the kids are a bit older. The early sacred music one looks especially fascinating, like you, we already are interested in Gregorian chant (even though we are Eastern Catholic, go figure) and are doing a class in how to read square notation and sing Gregorian chant- but I still want to add Professor Carol later. Imo music is the most crucial part of a classical education- the high point. Just listening to classical/sacred music trains the ear and the mind, but listening to it intentionally is way better.

I'm also really pondering the music appreciation course for younger grades. It looks really really good, like very solid content from what I can see, but I wish I could get my hands on the books! Can't Tanya get some kind of teleportation machine like in Star Trek, only for books, and just beam things up to us to check out?
            I'm not a music teacher, but my MIL was an elementary music teacher, and my mom was a high school band director. My kids take piano and are getting a bit of a music education just from listening to Symphony Hall every day in the car, and by coming to my personal organ lessons and chant schola practice! But, I agree that we need something organized.

The sample pages on the MP site for the Music Appreciation I course look pretty good to me. You can see the index and a sample of the first lesson. There is another thread on this forum that indicates it was intended to be used in maybe 5th-6th, but that it could probably be used younger. I just ordered it. We are going to try it. Will let you know how the first lesson goes!
            DS - 8th, 14 yo
            DS - 8th, 13 yo

Comment

Can't Tanya get some kind of teleportation machine like in Star Trek, only for books, and just beam things up to us to check out?
              We do have a couple of distributors in Canada: https://www.memoriapress.com/support/dealer/. Perhaps they have physical stores?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                We do have a couple of distributors in Canada: https://www.memoriapress.com/support/dealer/. Perhaps they have physical stores?
                Dang. I was envisioning being able to say "beam it up, Tanya," not having to trek all the way out to Vancouver.

Comment

Dang. I was envisioning being able to say "beam it up, Tanya," not having to trek all the way out to Vancouver.
                  If only! (In all serious, I wasn't sure where you are in Canada. If you live on Baffin Island then those distributors probably aren't helpful!)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                    If only! (In all serious, I wasn't sure where you are in Canada. If you live on Baffin Island then those distributors probably aren't helpful!)
                    It's nice to know there are some up here, though- I will have to check that out. I knew about Blue Mantle out in Ontario but their website always goes wonky on my computer for some reason.

Comment

I would love to say "beam it up!" And I'm proud that I knew that was a reference to Star Trek!

Tanya

Comment

We have the professor Carroll DVD for the younger grades. My boys watched it in the car on the way back home from our trip Mississippi this fall. They were 12 and 9 at the time. I listened from the driver's seat. They would have rather been watching Hogan's Heroes or playing DS, but they liked it and I enjoyed it as well.

I agree the early sacred music course looks great because we also attend Latin Mass and I would like to learn more about the history of chant. The beauty of the music was a big factor in making our few visits to hear some Latin into our permanent home.
                        Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
                        16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
                        DD College Sophomore
                        DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
                        DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
                        DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                          We have the professor Carroll DVD for the younger grades. My boys watched it in the car on the way back home from our trip Mississippi this fall. They were 12 and 9 at the time. I listened from the driver's seat. They would have rather been watching Hogan's Heroes or playing DS, but they liked it and I enjoyed it as well.

I agree the early sacred music course looks great because we also attend Latin Mass and I would like to learn more about the history of chant. The beauty of the music was a big factor in making our few visits to hear some Latin into our permanent home.
                          Which Prof Carol ones are for the younger grades, Dorinda? I thought there were only high school ones. Excited if there are ones for middle school or younger-

Comment

They were watching Exploring America's Musical Heritage. It is listed as 5th grade and up. Unlike the others mentioned, it doesn't have any tests or stuff like that. It is just 2 DVDs to watch and enjoy.
                            Dorinda

Plans for 2022-2023
                            16th year homeschooling, 13th year with Memoria Press
                            DD College Sophomore
                            DS 11th grade - Lukeion Latin and Greek, Vita Beata, MPOA Divine Comedy
                            DS 9th grade - Vita Beata Literature/Classical Studies
                            DS 4th grade - 4A with Right Start F, Second Form Latin, AAS 5

Comment

Originally posted by Mom2mthj View Post
                              They were watching Exploring America's Musical Heritage. It is listed as 5th grade and up. Unlike the others mentioned, it doesn't have any tests or stuff like that. It is just 2 DVDs to watch and enjoy.
                              Thanks! I hadn't realized that!

Comment

Working...
                              X