Classical Studies Placement 7th grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical Studies Placement 7th grade

I'd like help with placement for Classical Studies next year. My oldest will turn 13 in November, so right after his 7th grade year begins. He has not studied Famous Men of Middle Ages yet. We came to Memoria Press when he was beginning 4th grade. I chose to use the 3rd grade core with him in order to begin at the beginning of many subjects. At home that didn't matter, but now that he's at cottage school he's older than most of his classmates. He is studying FMOG this year. Our choices for next year would be either FMMA or Homer and the History of Ancient Greece. He'll be taking the 6th grade literature next year which lines up better with studying Greece. I don't want to skip FMMA so I would likely have him read through the text and discuss it with him orally. I guess I want to make sure he's prepared enough for Homer, it just sounds really intimidating!
    Joyfully, Courtney
    DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Re: Classical Studies Placement 7th grade

For seventh grade, I'd choose Homer! FMOG is the best preparation so he should be right on track. Is he familiar with Greek Myths? If no, I suggest the audio version which he can listen to a few times. I'm guessing he got this with the third grade core? FMMA is an amazing study, AND, you can totally just read/discuss that one. If he's done the Arthur/Robin Hood lit set then he'll see lots of thematic overlap. FMMA will also be available on Librivox, though the readers can be spotty.

If the cottage school class follows the homeschool plans (or close) you spend a trimester on Book of the Ancient Greeks, then a trimester on Iliad, then a trimester on Odyssey. There is plenty of time to ramp up during the year itself.
    Festina lentē,
    Jessica P

'22-'23 • 13th year HSing • 11th year MP
    DS Hillsdale College freshman
    DD 11th • HLN & Latin online
    DD 8th • HLN & Home
    DS 5th • HLN & Home
    Me • Memoria College, MPOA Fourth Form for Adults

Teaching Third Form Latin and co-directing @
    Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School, est. 2016

Comment

And if you don't want to bite off something as heavy as Homer in 7th, it is fine to wait until 8th for that. You could make a year-long study out of FMMA. It's a pretty meaty course and does go especially well with your literature. It really depends on your student. The difference between the difficulty of FMMA compared to Homer is pretty large. Is your student prepared to work that hard next year, or do you want another year to prepare him? The other thing I would suggest before reading Homer is reading The Trojan War if you haven't done that. It is a retelling that would be really helpful.

So, I don't mean to confuse you. Jessica gave you great advice. I just thought I would mention a slower-paced option in case you don't have an academic over-achiever!

Tanya

Comment

Originally posted by pickandgrin View Post
        For seventh grade, I'd choose Homer! FMOG is the best preparation so he should be right on track. Is he familiar with Greek Myths? If no, I suggest the audio version which he can listen to a few times. I'm guessing he got this with the third grade core? FMMA is an amazing study, AND, you can totally just read/discuss that one. If he's done the Arthur/Robin Hood lit set then he'll see lots of thematic overlap. FMMA will also be available on Librivox, though the readers can be spotty.

If the cottage school class follows the homeschool plans (or close) you spend a trimester on Book of the Ancient Greeks, then a trimester on Iliad, then a trimester on Odyssey. There is plenty of time to ramp up during the year itself.
        He has studied Greek Myths and he’s reading through the Robin Hood Literature set this year.

Originally posted by tanya View Post
        And if you don't want to bite off something as heavy as Homer in 7th, it is fine to wait until 8th for that. You could make a year-long study out of FMMA. It's a pretty meaty course and does go especially well with your literature. It really depends on your student. The difference between the difficulty of FMMA compared to Homer is pretty large. Is your student prepared to work that hard next year, or do you want another year to prepare him? The other thing I would suggest before reading Homer is reading The Trojan War if you haven't done that. It is a retelling that would be really helpful.

So, I don't mean to confuse you. Jessica gave you great advice. I just thought I would mention a slower-paced option in case you don't have an academic over-achiever!

Tanya
        He has read Trojan War on his own, not with a guide. He will be doing that Literature set next year. I don’t think he would call himself an academic over-achiever, but I can see what he’s excited to learn and I would say that! In the last couple years he has really started enjoying language because of Latin and is looking forward to Greek. It sounds like we are on the right track.
        Joyfully, Courtney
        DS14, DS12, DS11, DD9

Comment

Working...
        X