Third Form Latin Lesson Plan Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Third Form Latin Lesson Plan Confusion

I'm not sure exactly what we are supposed to be completing in the workbook. The plans don't seem to match up with the sections in the book and also seem to leave out some sections (especially the Reading). Should we be doing everything, even if it isn't scheduled? (Please say no ). How do you all get through it at home? We have always done every single exercise, but now it is really starting to build in volume and difficulty. We are determined to finish the course this year and be on track for starting Fourth Form in the fall. If we want to stick with the pace of a lesson per week, what is a reasonable amount of workbook exercises? I know that you cannot over-practice Latin, but I don't want to kill ourselves unnecessarily.

I've considered not doing the Reading every single week since that has become very time consuming, but maybe that is something that we should be spending time on? Or would it be okay to do half of the Translation sentences in order to make more time for the Reading?

Re: Third Form Latin Lesson Plan Confusion

Originally posted by Angela View Post
    I'm not sure exactly what we are supposed to be completing in the workbook. The plans don't seem to match up with the sections in the book and also seem to leave out some sections (especially the Reading). Should we be doing everything, even if it isn't scheduled? (Please say no ). How do you all get through it at home? We have always done every single exercise, but now it is really starting to build in volume and difficulty. We are determined to finish the course this year and be on track for starting Fourth Form in the fall. If we want to stick with the pace of a lesson per week, what is a reasonable amount of workbook exercises? I know that you cannot over-practice Latin, but I don't want to kill ourselves unnecessarily.

I've considered not doing the Reading every single week since that has become very time consuming, but maybe that is something that we should be spending time on? Or would it be okay to do half of the Translation sentences in order to make more time for the Reading?
    Good morning,

We did recently discover some typos in the later weeks of our Third Form Latin Lesson Plans. When we fixed the typos we also reduced the number of assigned exercises so that each week in the corrected Lesson Plans would have a doable amount of written work. We are still proofing these plans, but if you email [email protected] with your order # for the old TFL plans, I can provide you with a beta copy of the corrected ones. They should address both the missing sections and your questions about what to prioritize.

Speaking of workload, there is a LOT of written work in TFL, and not every family will have the time to complete it all. The primary goal of the Forms is mastery of the Latin grammar. However much a student covers in a year, we want what he covers to be mastered. Therefore, we are experimenting with a new, two-year pace that spreads out TFL and 4FL. The two programs will still be completed in two years, but this pace cuts some of the "gravy" in the programs so that students can spend more time mastering the "meat and potatoes." If you, or anyone, feels they are drowning in TFL, we can share a beta copy of these adjusted plans in case they may help. We want everyone to finish the Forms series on a strong note, with a firm foundation and ready to tackle the next stage of Latin, reading the classics in the original language

I hope this has answered your questions. If not, or if you have any more questions, please let me know.

Comment

Re: Third Form Latin Lesson Plan Confusion

Thanks, Michael! I sent you an email.

Comment

Working...
      X