Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: Just for Fun: You Know Your Child Is Classically Educated When....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OT: Just for Fun: You Know Your Child Is Classically Educated When....

This thought has crossed my mind lately as I have seen my boys do several things that I’m pretty sure are directly related to the goodness that we are exposed to daily. It is probably also the reason that sometimes their friends give them questioning looks!

So, aside from the fact that it would be very common for someone to drive by our house and see two little boys dressed in Roman soldier helmets, waving plastic swords as their capes are flying behind them, (each of course assigned a Roman name), today.....

When finishing up a final draft for Fable, the 10 year old asked me if he could please start signing his name with his first two initials and then his last name. (The Dove and the Ant by Aesop, as retold by…). I told him that was fine but asked why he would want to do that? His answer: “That is how C.S. Lewis signs his books, he doesn’t say Clive Staples Lewis.” <3

I could go on and on….as I’m sure everyone here could!

Re: OT: Just for Fun: You Know Your Child Is Classically Educated When....

That is so cute.
    The Homeschool Grads:
    J- 6/96
    S- 11/98

Still Homeschooling:
    G- 4/04
    D- 5/05
    F- 7/08 (my only girl)

Future Homeschooler:
    M- 9/16

Comment

Originally posted by makinmemories View Post
      This thought has crossed my mind lately as I have seen my boys do several things that I’m pretty sure are directly related to the goodness that we are exposed to daily. It is probably also the reason that sometimes their friends give them questioning looks!

So, aside from the fact that it would be very common for someone to drive by our house and see two little boys dressed in Roman soldier helmets, waving plastic swords as their capes are flying behind them, (each of course assigned a Roman name), today.....

When finishing up a final draft for Fable, the 10 year old asked me if he could please start signing his name with his first two initials and then his last name. (The Dove and the Ant by Aesop, as retold by…). I told him that was fine but asked why he would want to do that? His answer: “That is how C.S. Lewis signs his books, he doesn’t say Clive Staples Lewis.” <3

I could go on and on….as I’m sure everyone here could!
      This is awesome. Wait, he's ten? A budding author!
      DD 12, using 6M core with 7th Grade COTR
      DS 10, using 5M core

Comment

YES! I love this. <3

My daughter changes her pseudonym daily, but her favorite is Ladeen Bronte (her middle name plus her favorite author). We also had lots of little Alexander the Great's riding around on Bucephalus sticks in our front yard last week when we hosted our history co-op.
        HeatherRae
        Bookworm, Home business owner
        Ballet and scouting mom
        DD8, DD10, SS13, SS16

Comment

When the 3rd and 4th grade boys attend a Knights of Columbus dinner with Grandpa, recognize a fasces in emblem and point it out to him. Then, begin discussing the Punic wars with Grandpa and another gentleman.

Comment

Oh, gosh, this stuff makes me laugh!

We just got back from a road trip to Colorado. While driving through New Mexico, we got to see the Capulin volcano - really neat! This started a conversation about volcanoes, which then turned to converastion about Mt. Vesuvius, Herculaneum, Pompeii and "the Plinys" (the Elder and the Younger). I was feeling all warm and fuzzy about this wonderful education my kids have when my 13-year-old piped up, "Mom, when Vesuvius erupted, did you guys get a day off of school? And was it considered a snow day or an ash day?" It went further downhill when my husband said that I had an autographed copy of Naturalis Historia. He told the kids I stood in line all day in the forum, stalking Pliny the Younger for an autograph like a Roman-era fangirl.

I love my family. Really, I do.
            Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
            DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
            DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Audible office laugh! Thanks for sharing this. Did you get a selfie with Pliny?

Michelle T

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle T View Post
                Audible office laugh! Thanks for sharing this. Did you get a selfie with Pliny?

Michelle T
                Yes. I used my selfie stick. In those times it was, quite literally, a stick.
                Mary

DD14 - 9th core + CLRC Ancient Greek I & Latin IV + VideoText math
                DS12 - 7th core + Novare Earth Science + CLRC HS Latin I + VideoText math
                DD8 - SC level 2

Comment

Lol .. funny stories! My 15 y.o. told me, "You know you've been classically educated when you are talking about modern day France and refer to it as Gaul .."
                  Ora et labora,
                  Sandra

DD (17) - grade 12 (Divine Comedy, Precalculus, AP Latin, Senior Thesis, Fundamentals of the Faith, American Government, and Economics through MPOA Diploma Program)

DD (13) - grade 9 (Algebra ll, Fourth Form Latin, Logic l & ll, High School Comp. ll, through MPOA. Aeneid/ History of the Romans, Geography lll, and Biology at home)

Comment

Your children think that the British Museum (yes the one in London) is an excellent way to spend your first morning in the city. They also wish there could have been more time there!
                    togg_mama // Deut 6:5-6

April 2018: finishing our sixth year of homeschooling, starting first year using MP cores
                    DD: SC C // DS MP 4NU // DD MP 1 // DD MP K

Comment

Originally posted by chapulina View Post
                      Lol .. funny stories! My 15 y.o. told me, "You know you've been classically educated when you are talking about modern day France and refer to it as Gaul .."
                      A young friend of mine referred to Hawthorne's Scarlet Letter as "modern literature."
                      Festina lentē,
                      Jessica P

SY2019-2020 · 8th MP Year
                      @ Home, HLN, & MPOA
                      S · 10th, MPOA Henle 3
                      D · 8th
                      D · 5th
                      S · 2nd

Highlands Latin Nashville Cottage School

Comment

You know you’re classically educated when your almost 8 year old thinks playing 20 questions with classical artists at the dinner table is fun! 😊
                        Heidi

2018-19
                        dd- 3m
                        ds- SC 1
                        dd- SC B

Comment

Originally posted by heatherrae View Post
                          YES! I love this. <3

My daughter changes her pseudonym daily, but her favorite is Ladeen Bronte (her middle name plus her favorite author). We also had lots of little Alexander the Great's riding around on Bucephalus sticks in our front yard last week when we hosted our history co-op.
                          I want to know more about your history co-op, Heatherrae!! That is something I would like to do in the next year or two! Do you have any tips for me? I love reading blogs and watching youtube channels, so if you're out there somewhere, I'd love to give you a follow and glean from you

Thanks!
                          Amy
                          In our second curriculum school year. Husband and I were both homeschooled on a more traditional/CM level.
                          2017-18::: Mom of 4 Little Kids
                          Boy 6, in First Grade
                          Boy 4, Preschool (just does 1st Enrichment with Boy 6), in another workbook and play
                          Girl 2, Tagalong
                          Boy 5, mos Tagalong

Comment

Originally posted by thekastenbees View Post
                            I want to know more about your history co-op, Heatherrae!! That is something I would like to do in the next year or two! Do you have any tips for me? I love reading blogs and watching youtube channels, so if you're out there somewhere, I'd love to give you a follow and glean from you

Thanks!
                            Amy

Hi, Amy! Due to my schedule, I've been terrible about blogging, but I do try to keep Instagram and Facebook mostly updated. I am books.and.sunshine on Instagram, and HeatherRae Bingham Sprague on Facebook.

We LOVE our history group. All of the families follow a Story of the World schedule that we set up for the year during the previous spring or summer. Every other Thursday, we meet as a group for two-three hours, with families taking turns hosting. During our time together, the kids present their narration summaries or individual projects, we cover review questions, eat food themed to the current SOTW chapters, discuss related books, and work on group projects and activities. Sometimes we have parties or watch movies. We're coming to the close of our fourth year together, and I know my kids would be heartbroken if we didn't continue.
                            HeatherRae
                            Bookworm, Home business owner
                            Ballet and scouting mom
                            DD8, DD10, SS13, SS16

Comment

My 11 year old just suggested that the next time we get a dog, we should speak to it only in Latin. She also declared her intention to only speak to me in Latin from now on.

This is the child who claims to hate Latin.
                              Melanie
                              2019-2020 ~ 6th MP year; 11th year homeschooling
                              DD16 ~ 10th grade MPOA diploma program
                              DD13 ~ 8th grade
                              DS11 ~ 5th grade

Comment

Working...
                              X